Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:14 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,801,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm not sure it is an apathy problem on the part of the SJ or a journalistic skills problem. Great writing isn't par for the course with the SJ. They have two new columnists that will add some good writing to the mix, but the heavy hitting investigative reports has never been part of the SJ. I'm not sure they have a writer of that caliber on staff.

Salem Monthly was turning into our more edgy, hard hitting paper, but they seemed to have backed off a bit. Salem-News online has had some more commentary than the regular SJ has. If you are wanting political activism, then Eugene is where you want to be.

The paper has a pullout every week of things to do in Salem. There is plenty to do. Salem was also named one of the Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedbest Small Film Festivals in the US.
Once upon a time, Salem had two newspapers, the Capitol Journal and the Oregon Statesman. Both papers were bought by Gannett, which merged them. Gannett promised editorial integrity, maintaining the Republican/Democrat viewpoints. That didn't last long. They also laid off most of the local reporters. If you don't email it to the paper, it won't be in the paper.

Salem has led the nation in the decline of the local newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,801 times
Salem is a strange town. I've lived here for the majority of my life and went to middle/high school here. It's odd because there is a clash of two major forces. The first being fundamentalist Christian ideals and conservatism, the second being trashy meth/heroin users. It's also the capital (as I'm sure you all know), which brings another weird sense of responsibility in certain people, which carries over into the whole city. Marion County was also one of the few "red" counties in Oregon. Compared to Eugene or Portland, it's Texas. It's (so I've heard) more populated than Eugene now, though not by much. Regardless, if there's 6 degrees of separation in the world, it's reduced to maybe 2 in Salem. Particularly at events, bars, and restaurants. There are slews of weird people here, and the cops are typically not very friendly. Honestly, I sort of despise this town. There's little to do, the cost of living seems to be increasing at a rapid rate, and compared to elsewhere in Oregon, it's not very scenic. The crime is pretty bad. I've had my house robbed twice, and my car was broken into twice. There's massive amounts of unemployment (including myself, sadly), and it desperately needs culture. You'll burrow your own little niche though, and just like nearly everywhere else, you'll find some cool people. It's also only an hour away from somewhere much better in every direction. Where to avoid? If you're worried about drugs and such, probably about half of the parks including Bush, and the skate park. Also avoid most apartments in general. Many neighborhoods in Lancaster and Keizer should also be entered with caution and awareness. A couple of the (richer) high schools aren't bad and we have a Wal-Mart supercenter. Whoopie.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 AM

1 posts, read 4,060 times
I have lived here over 4 years now. I moved from So. Cal. This place is awful. I work as a waitress and I've never seen such mean people rready to complain. I've never seen such poverty. In my 20 years of waiting tables I've never been stiffed until I moved here. I get stiffed as a waitress several times a nite. People lie to get freebies. The beauty of oregon cant be beat but its awful in Salem. The people here are not happy people. The town is ugly. Everybody pays the meanness forward so it got worse over my years here. Anybody who is in customer service here is miserable from what I've learned. A new girl transferred here from Wash St and was in tears by the 3rd day from all the mean people and being stiffed. Im leaving this place asap.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,036 times
After living my whole life in San Diego, CA, my husband and I are moving to Salem this summer. We are both in our early 30's with a four year old daughter. My husband has been a roofer for almost 15 years and only brings home 2,720 a month after taxes. The average cost of rent for a 2bd/2bth apartment in a decent area cost about $1200/month. So after rent, car, insurance, cable/internet, gas and electric, groceries, gas for the car and medical, we are broke every month. Also take into consideration the crime rate[mod]snip[/mod] unemployment, the crappy economy, horrible excuse for education, the gas prices and watching the whole county burn on CNN. My husband has a job waiting for him making only a dollar less an hour. We are beyond excited to start our lives in Salem. I'm sure for those of you who have lived in Salem, or even Oregon, for several years might have a longer list of con's than we would. For us, Salem sounds great.

Last edited by delta07; 05-19-2014 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: removed comment that violates TOS

Old 05-18-2014, 09:43 AM

15,622 posts, read 40,659,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark8908 View Post
After living my whole life in San Diego, CA, my husband and I are moving to Salem this summer. We are both in our early 30's with a four year old daughter. My husband has been a roofer for almost 15 years and only brings home 2,720 a month after taxes. The average cost of rent for a 2bd/2bth apartment in a decent area cost about $1200/month. So after rent, car, insurance, cable/internet, gas and electric, groceries, gas for the car and medical, we are broke every month. Also take into consideration the crime rate (not just Hispanics, EVERY RACE!) unemployment, the crappy economy, horrible excuse for education, the gas prices and watching the whole county burn on CNN. My husband has a job waiting for him making only a dollar less an hour. We are beyond excited to start our lives in Salem. I'm sure for those of you who have lived in Salem, or even Oregon, for several years might have a longer list of con's than we would. For us, Salem sounds great.
Well welcome to Salem!

Lots of people like it here and there is plenty to do for a 4 year old here.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:20 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,418,770 times
I am a little confused. You are happy with a dollar an hour less in a state where his trade only works about 6 months a year?

The cost of living is not that much less and you won't save more than $400 a month on rent if even that. Are you sure you know what you are doing?

Old 05-20-2014, 04:03 PM

23 posts, read 31,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark8908 View Post
After living my whole life in San Diego, CA, my husband and I are moving to Salem this summer. We are both in our early 30's with a four year old daughter. My husband has been a roofer for almost 15 years and only brings home 2,720 a month after taxes. The average cost of rent for a 2bd/2bth apartment in a decent area cost about $1200/month. So after rent, car, insurance, cable/internet, gas and electric, groceries, gas for the car and medical, we are broke every month. Also take into consideration the crime rateModerator cut: snip unemployment, the crappy economy, horrible excuse for education, the gas prices and watching the whole county burn on CNN. My husband has a job waiting for him making only a dollar less an hour. We are beyond excited to start our lives in Salem. I'm sure for those of you who have lived in Salem, or even Oregon, for several years might have a longer list of con's than we would. For us, Salem sounds great.
Hi clark. I am also in SD and am planning a move to Salem in the near future. I'm with you...I'm sick of this town. So many people think we are so fortunate to live here, but they have no clue what the cost of living is, the crowds, the crime, the "education" etc. I would love to hear how your move went and how things are going for you once you get there.

Steve, you have to consider more than just rent when moving from a city such as San Diego. Our electric and water bills are horrendous (my electric is almost $500 a month and my water is $300 every 2 months!). The quality of life here is getting poorer and poorer as more and more folks move in here. I have been unhappy here almost since I moved here and you would think living in one of the vacation capitals of this country that wouldn't be the case. And I think that's the biggest driver for me; quality of life. I am looking forward to a smaller city and a little bit slower pace. I am looking at taking a very large pay cut once I move, but I think it's worth it. I'll just have to tighten my belt.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 AM

I think you will find that wherever you go, an hours labor will buy an hours goods. It is rare that a persons standard of living changes with a move.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM

466 posts, read 1,066,335 times
Oh, cool, is he from Germany? Konditorei is a german word for cake bakery. Have to go there when I be in Salem again.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:54 PM

You seem to be into mining old threads today. Here is another good one .... Salvador's Bakery It's my favorite Panaderia in Salem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem