Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 26,759 times

Advertisements

I have done much research about Salem,Oregon and I am considering a move there. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how safe Salem is? I have read that there are 5 prisons there and 5 mental hospitals. Is there a lot of crime? Much I had learned about Salem is absolutely wonderful, but I am concerned about my safety there. Could anyone tell me there spin on Salem and this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:39 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
5 prisons?

We have the Oregon State Penitentiary on state street and the other one on Aumsville Highway. Then we have the girls youth prison called Hillcrest. Not sure we have 5. I could be wrong though.

The state mental hospital is being demolished right now and a new one being built, so there many be several small ones while they get the new one built.

Salem has a higher rate of petty crimes such as theft, car break-ins etc, than other similar sized cities. We have less violent crime (murders, rapes, assaults,) than other similar sized cities. So essentially criminals here won't hit you, but they'll take your stuff...

There are MANY low crime areas in Salem, and there are some crime filled areas. Part of city life, I think.
Locate Crime Statistics is the Police Department's website with the crime stats on it. They map them out for you, so you can see where the crimes are occuring.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:32 AM

177 posts, read 969,491 times
I agree with Silverfall. I have lived here 6yrs and most crimes I have heard of are car theft, etc. One reason why the state pen and state mental hospital are here is because Salem in also the capital city.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:48 PM

40 posts, read 160,549 times
Thanks for that link Silverfall. I've been meaning to find the local stats but been too lazy.

The only area I'd recommend staying away from is the NE. There are good parts of the NE (Jan Ree area) but others are meh. There is a reason the rent is usually cheaper in the NE. Typically the south/southeast and west would be the "better part of town".

Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 AM

899 posts, read 2,941,837 times
You know what, I live in northeast salem and never had a problem..there are a few bars ect on Portland that make the area look kinda of bad but for the most part i think the area is safe..No matter where live in any town you just have to be careful..we have been here almost 6 years..

Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Well, there was an unsolved triple homicide near downtown a few weeks ago.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:25 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, there was an unsolved triple homicide near downtown a few weeks ago.
No way.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:26 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Triple Homicide Investigation Under Way After Salem Fire

It was murder, from March 2009, and it is unsolved.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:52 PM

899 posts, read 2,941,837 times
Is Salem safe how about just driving from point a to point b and I-5 that can be as scarry as can be or down Lancaster late in the afternoon..This is just people going about their business and that can be scarry too..No matter what I still enjoy living in salem.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 PM

378 posts, read 1,570,138 times
Many Salem neighborhoods have the "Neighborhood Watch" program. I know they have meetings, and BBQ's/get-togethers so that neighbors will get to know each other and watch out for one another. A good program! We lived in west Salem before moving to the coast, and we never had any issues. Before that, we lived way out in the country and the worst thing was having our mail stolen (a rural mailbox not visible from our house). As far as that recent Salem unsolved murder, I don't think it was random (took place at a high dollar street rod shop).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem