Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:04 PM

23 posts, read 144,705 times

Advertisements

I do not disagree with the XX of The State of Jefferson flag. My point is that the concepts of Cascadia and Jefferson remain but fantasy and conjecture. There is plenty of that, even in Salem. It is almost a mental condo at the coast. I see all of these political cults and yet civic apathy. Do not blame the train wreck on Californication. That is what grew Salem's economy for over a generation, so now I hope all of these fantasy camps can somehow change the way Salem works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 AM

963 posts, read 3,038,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMayo405 View Post
My point is that the concepts of Cascadia and Jefferson remain but fantasy and conjecture. There is plenty of that, even in Salem. It is almost a mental condo at the coast.
As someone who live both on the coast and in the State of Jefferson, I'd have to agree with this assessment. Much of local politics here is of the fantasy-camp persuasion.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:56 AM

15,602 posts, read 40,531,828 times
Quote:
That is what grew Salem's economy for over a generation, so now I hope all of these fantasy camps can somehow change the way Salem works.
Salem as in the city, or Salem as in state government? Two different things.

I don't see any reason why the culture of Grants Pass would change the city of Salem in any way.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,464,940 times
Salem has always had an identity problem from it's conception.

It was a quite little river grain shipping town until the State Legislature barely voted to move the new Capital there over Oregon City in a bid to better serve the rest of the "state" IE, at that time the Upper Willamette River.

But so many Portland (and Oregon City) influences countered growth in Salem that it never really got going, and never developed any identity. Most members of Legislature would take a stern wheeler down the Willamette for their sessions, then return home as soon as possible.

Even now look at how many of our Elected Officials actually maintain residences there during session. I know part of that is due to our weird Legislative sessions, but it's been built into the city. Look at how many pieces of the State Government are still in Portland (although that has been changing drastically the last ten years.)

From a history perspective it was always over shadowed by Oregon City and even French Prairie/Charbonneau.

Salem feels like a place you're forced to be, vs a place you want to be.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:34 PM

This is all spot on to me. When I first came here, in 2006, I thought it was the right size, very livable. It was kinda hookey in an endearing and comfortable way. I was amazed by the concept of making Salem into something it is not. For instance, how about an artsy farstsey downtown with a vibrant nightlife and culture? Downtown condos at hipster prices? Please. How could people delude themselves? It is so sad that all of those Jetson type ruins are downtown and the whole community is suffering for it. Yes, Hamellr. the place obviously has an identity problem. As to Salem as Salem or the capitol? Well, it is all part of the town. You know, as an outsider I seem to get a good mix of the state here. I know plenty of coworkers from all over the state who have lived in town for at least five years, many more so. I also think that maybe the new annual sessions might change the character. At any rate, for all of its frustrations, it is a special place. I just wish it could clean up its act politically. Hey, I wish the country would. I just noticed the apathy and the death of these two public figures just really floored me. If anybody wants to come here, be prepared for it but also be prepared for a great location to get lost in the beauty of the entire state. No knock on the city or state. Let us just say it is going through some hard times and it will change. It will have to.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FebruaryAir View Post
I totally agree. Salem is planned awfully, has no culture, and is ghetto (by Oregon standards). I would even rather live in Albany than in Salem.

I'd chose Salem over Albany any day, but they are completely different. Salem has planning issues, but they are starting to rectify some of those problems.

The issue that Salem has is that 1) is is the state capital so it has those issues to deal with and then 2) it is its own city. Salem needs to focus on creating its identity from its own history rather than trying to mimic Portland or other large metros. A classic example of Salem's problem is what to name the new Broadway revitalization district. Some people want to call it "Little Italy", but a local blogger suggested we call it "the Carpet District" or better yet "The Hops District" because the warehouses there were originally built for hops but now house giant carpet warehouses. (hence the carpet district). Little Italy is all wrong for Salem, but some people think it sounds "hip." I think the Hops District or the Carpet District is perfect because it pulls from what is, and not from some figment of our imagination.

Salem has to be okay with its sleepy town vibe. The fact is that not everyone wants to live in a high energy city. I wouldn't call Salem ghetto by any means. Not even close.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 AM

478 posts, read 786,768 times
Kettle Chips are from Salem! That makes up for just about anything

Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 AM

899 posts, read 2,947,980 times
Foot in mouth time...
I've watched this thread sorta of go not with information that Joe future resident would want to know to stuff a lot of people simply don't care about...One can always read the local paper to find out what has been mention above.
What people would like to know is there are lots of activites for everyone enjoy in the Salem, Marion county area, you just have to look for them..
Fairs, festivals, parks, a minor baseball team , museums, library's , place to take the fur kid for a good walk, volunteer opportunities and more..Just look around and listen to what people are saying..
The weather is real easy to take..Now its a bit annoying because its time to get the garden in gear and to wet to do much.thats just me thing and i do play in the dirt year around.
Your not that far from the coast, the mountains and the Columbia river gorge,
we like it here and hear that from a lot people too..
To the future resident, you can read the paper on line, see what houses are costing ,what is going on the weekends and more.
come visit.
Enough said
Oh and OH YUMMMMMMMMMMM on Kettle Chips..

Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM

"Read it in the paper?" Have you ever read the Statesman Journal to get what is really happening in the city? It is loaded with all the fluff about fairs and festivals and short on the real issues impacting future values and tax bills. It is part of the apathy problem. As a matter of fact, the paper had a banner headline about a year ago trumpeting the bottom of the local real estate market. Gannet's jewel is not here.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
"Read it in the paper?" Have you ever read the Statesman Journal to get what is really happening in the city? It is loaded with all the fluff about fairs and festivals and short on the real issues impacting future values and tax bills. It is part of the apathy problem. As a matter of fact, the paper had a banner headline about a year ago trumpeting the bottom of the local real estate market. Gannet's jewel is not here.

I'm not sure it is an apathy problem on the part of the SJ or a journalistic skills problem. Great writing isn't par for the course with the SJ. They have two new columnists that will add some good writing to the mix, but the heavy hitting investigative reports has never been part of the SJ. I'm not sure they have a writer of that caliber on staff.

Salem Monthly was turning into our more edgy, hard hitting paper, but they seemed to have backed off a bit. Salem-News online has had some more commentary than the regular SJ has. If you are wanting political activism, then Eugene is where you want to be.

The paper has a pullout every week of things to do in Salem. There is plenty to do. Salem was also named one of the Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedbest Small Film Festivals in the US.

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2011 at 05:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Salem