Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times

Advertisements

Trust me, if I had the means of defining change in this city, I'd surely use them. However, with government today being so corrupt and uncaring of the general public, to me it just isn't worth it, especially since I don't have to live within city limits. If this place (both city and state) were to turn around and make something of itself, I would think twice about my plans to move away in a few years. I don't want to leave my family and friends behind and start over in a totally new place, but at the rate we're going I'll have no choice.

I'm not a city boy mainly because I haven't had exposure to living in a city that prides itself on its aesthetics and family friendly activities, something I feel is important for a successful "downtown" experience. After visiting downtown Denver, Boston, and Charlotte and being exposed to their areas of walking-traffic-only areas (16th St Mall in Denver, EpiCentre in Charlotte, Quincy Market/Back Bay in Boston), I came home wondering "why on earth aren't we doing the same thing?!?!" especially given the fact we have a freakin river and a beautiful water falls area running through the heart of the city. But, nobody cares, and the most anyone has done is make some lame attempts at ****ty night clubs in the High Falls area that have fallen prey to poor management letting in underage kids.

If our city leaders have never traveled to any of the 3 cities I listed above to get a feel of what it takes to make a downtown area successful, then I highly suggest they do so. Unfortunately, I just can't walk in to the Mayors office or a city council meeting and say "hey, go take a trip to Boston/Charlotte/Denver for a few days, get some ideas, and come back to Rochester and work with developers to create the downtown the rest of the region wants based off of what you see there" without getting laughed at and kicked out the door. So, I will just continue to ***** and moan about the city pissing away money at things like the Ren Square project, the aqueduct debacle, and everything else they feel is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
Trust me, if I had the means of defining change in this city, I'd surely use them. However, with government today being so corrupt and uncaring of the general public, to me it just isn't worth it, especially since I don't have to live within city limits. If this place (both city and state) were to turn around and make something of itself, I would think twice about my plans to move away in a few years. I don't want to leave my family and friends behind and start over in a totally new place, but at the rate we're going I'll have no choice.

I'm not a city boy mainly because I haven't had exposure to living in a city that prides itself on its aesthetics and family friendly activities, something I feel is important for a successful "downtown" experience. After visiting downtown Denver, Boston, and Charlotte and being exposed to their areas of walking-traffic-only areas (16th St Mall in Denver, EpiCentre in Charlotte, Quincy Market/Back Bay in Boston), I came home wondering "why on earth aren't we doing the same thing?!?!" especially given the fact we have a freakin river and a beautiful water falls area running through the heart of the city. But, nobody cares, and the most anyone has done is make some lame attempts at ****ty night clubs in the High Falls area that have fallen prey to poor management letting in underage kids.

If our city leaders have never traveled to any of the 3 cities I listed above to get a feel of what it takes to make a downtown area successful, then I highly suggest they do so. Unfortunately, I just can't walk in to the Mayors office or a city council meeting and say "hey, go take a trip to Boston/Charlotte/Denver for a few days, get some ideas, and come back to Rochester and work with developers to create the downtown the rest of the region wants based off of what you see there" without getting laughed at and kicked out the door. So, I will just continue to ***** and moan about the city pissing away money at things like the Ren Square project, the aqueduct debacle, and everything else they feel is important.
This we can surely agree on. It never ceases to amaze me how much unrealized potential there is in the city. We have a freaking waterfall in the middle of the city.....NOBODY else has that. The High Falls area should be BOOMING, it should have posh residential development that would be convenient for young professionals who live downtown, hotels with views of the water, restaurants and other entertainment venues. It should be like Park Ave or (the good parts of) Monroe Ave. Instead it's completely ignored and surrounded by distressed industrial property and some of the poorest neighborhoods in the city. What the hell?

Old 01-14-2011, 10:41 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Well they are building in High Falls. They have been putting up residential units and renovating buildings for office space.
The moronic city leadership made a mistake in trying to make it an night spot. It was a dumb idea as there were already two entertainment districts (monroe ave, east ave) within walking distance to thousands of people. High Falls is next to an industrial area, so people would have to drive. Why drive somewhere when you can walk to a closer area? A beautiful area like high fall should not be wasted on clubs and bars. A mix of residential with some restaurants and a little bit of retail would work much better and make it family friendly. They have been putting in residential units. Some more restaurants would be better. And get rid of the clubs that are still there, it ruins the atmosphere.
And overtaxed, I find it confusing that you would say that we lack a pedestrian friendly area downtown, then complain about the aqueduct idea. Bringing back the canal would create the pedestrian friendly area. That idea would not work anyways as it would block entrances to some businesses such as Thompson-Reuters.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:27 PM

I was more or less stating the aqueduct is a mess in its current state, and with the city actually contemplating filling it in with dirt. I love the idea of actually doing something with it and making it an attraction/daily use-for-pedestrian space.

I do however disagree with creating more residential space, as I don't think there is *that* big of a demand for it. I think downtown needs to be revitalized first before people will actually want to live there.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:20 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
All of this is possible, as Syracuse cleaned up Armory Square, which was an area of Downtown for prostitutes and was somewhat of a skid row. So, there are nearby examples of what parts of Downtown Rochester can look like. It seems like there are some improvements going on, but like other Upstate NY cities, there is so much potential to build off of, it's not even funny.

Syracuse Today

Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY

Old 01-14-2011, 05:15 PM

205 posts, read 456,531 times
Quote:
Trust me, if I had the means of defining change in this city, I'd surely use them.
Big sigh.... So untrue. Just so untrue. I am beginning to be redundant... With all the time you spend here, I *know* you would have an impact if you wanted to.

Quote:
something I feel is important for a successful "downtown" experience. After visiting downtown Denver, Boston, and Charlotte and being exposed to their areas of walking-traffic-only areas (16th St Mall in Denver, EpiCentre in Charlotte, Quincy Market/Back Bay in Boston), I came home wondering "why on earth aren't we doing the same thing?!?!" especially given the fact we have a freakin river and a beautiful water falls area running through the heart of the city.
So true. So true. See, you *do* have a vision. I knew you cared after all Nobody is THAT committed to be so negative unless they care...

Old 01-14-2011, 08:03 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,686,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
We have a freaking waterfall in the middle of the city.....NOBODY else has that.
Well, this is me being annoyingly nit-picky - but there is Sioux Falls. Then again, who thinks about Sioux Falls???? I'll shut up now.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:56 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
The thing about Rochester is that outwardly this place truly would appear miserable--and in many regards, it is. However, there is an ineffable 'something' that gives Rochester a truly unique and undeniable charm. Anyone who has lived here and left knows exactly what I'm talking about; even those who prefer the location they moved to wouldn't deny that there is something oddly special ( i really dont know how else to describe it) about Rochester. I have even heard this from people who've only spent a month or so here--or even visited on a week long vacation--which seems to suggest that this shouldn't be dismissed merely as locals being attached to the location where they made a majority of their memories.

so to answer the original question:

Is Rochester as bad as people say it is??

Yes. But the people who told you this are likely only telling you half of what they feel about this city--only they didn't want to admit it, or they just don't know it yet.
Having grown up elsewhere & having lived here for >25 years, I completely agree with you. I think part of the "something oddly special" has to do with the history of this region (Susan B., underground railroad, tradition of helping others, etc.), the topography and the refreshingly low "bs quotient" of most residents.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:10 AM

205 posts, read 456,531 times
I agree. I like the history of Rochester a great deal. It somehow puts the city in an interesting context.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
Big sigh.... So untrue. Just so untrue. I am beginning to be redundant... With all the time you spend here, I *know* you would have an impact if you wanted to.

So true. So true. See, you *do* have a vision. I knew you cared after all Nobody is THAT committed to be so negative unless they care...
Lol, you telling me that I'm the only person in Rochester with these same ideas? Something tells me I'm not, and I'm going to assume that there are people out there with similar visions with more means than I have to accomplish things, and I still don't see anything getting done. I spend 10 minutes a day on here. It takes more than 10 minutes a day to have an impact on city planning. Good for you that you live in a state of mind where change is possible in this day and age, but I don't. Government is too big and too corrupt nowadays to get anything done without some deep pockets and shady connections to bad people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area