Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 AM

244 posts, read 417,426 times

Advertisements

a lot of times I hear about people complaining about Rochester and saying they want to move but they never move. I remember some people five years ago saying they were going to move and are still here today. Why don't these people move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 12:17 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
This isn't specific to Rochester. People all over the country say things like this then never move. There are dozens of reasons.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:58 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
a lot of times I hear about people complaining about Rochester and saying they want to move but they never move. I remember some people five years ago saying they were going to move and are still here today. Why don't these people move?
Why do people in upstate New York still think that things are better economically in other places? That is just not true anymore. Places like Buffalo, Rochester and other upstate cities are in the top half of job growth nationally now. Places like North Carolina and Arizona now have double digit unemployment!

My advice to anyone in Rochester with a job is to stay where you are and stop complaining! I lived in the Rochester area for a year and it is one of the best places in the country to raise a family with safe, affordable and clean suburbs!

I find that the people who complain the most in upstate New York are those who have never lived anywhere else. Believe me the grass isn't always greener in other places! I would give my right arm to be able to have a decent job and live in a Rochester suburb like Pittsford. I live in Long Island now (and can't get out) and I can tell you it is a living hell compared to the Rochester area!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:25 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
As Garmin pointed out, it's everywhere. The longer you stay someplace, the more you hear about it. I'd say it's more prevalent with young people and/or people who have never lived anywhere else.

As to why they never move? Because a large percentage of Americans are lazy and comfortable. They don't have the motivation or resilience to move to where they think they'd be better. Instead, they infect the air with their complaints.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
There are countless reasons. Some people just like to complain. They live a fine life here and deep down may even enjoy the area, and know this; but still like to complain because it's just their nature. It is also true what Port North pointed out that a lot of the top destination "hot spots" that people from Rochester have tended in the past to relocate to are really not doing to well right now. The Carolinas, Florida, the Southwest.....all have much higher unemployment rates than here, much lower job growth than here, and believe it or not the cost of living is actually higher in many of those areas than here. Other places like the big east coast cities (Boston-Washington corridor) that have attracted recent grads with their high-paying jobs and exciting city life have just become ridiculously expensive. Suddenly the Rochester area doesn't look too bad to these folks.

It is also a very difficult time for people to move anywhere in the country lately. Internal migration is at an all-time low. More people are staying put and not dealing with the risks that a big move brings.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:47 AM

205 posts, read 456,386 times
I am amazd by how many people I run into that have moved back to Rochester. We moved back after 15 years in DC and simply love Rochester. I run into many small business owners, like myself, who have done the same - all happy with their decision to come back to Rochester.

I continue to feel that Rochester has a self-esteem problem. It's way better than people who live in it know. As stated above, people should be required to live somewhere else before complaining. That perspective really helps you understand what we have here.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 AM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
I am amazd by how many people I run into that have moved back to Rochester. We moved back after 15 years in DC and simply love Rochester. I run into many small business owners, like myself, who have done the same - all happy with their decision to come back to Rochester.

I continue to feel that Rochester has a self-esteem problem. It's way better than people who live in it know. As stated above, people should be required to live somewhere else before complaining. That perspective really helps you understand what we have here.
This goes for Upstate NY in general and it really shouldn't be that way when you look at other places, all things considered.

I agree with what others have said and it is interesting to hear people when they come back, either from living somewhere else or even visiting for a long time, how they gain some perspective in regards to issues.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:40 PM

240 posts, read 557,701 times
Quote:
Rochester has also had a lot of work pumped into it in the last ten years to improve it's livability.

The RPD has done major crack down on drugs all over the city. Areas that were swing areas before have been pumped full of life. Its nice. Never would have wanted to stay in the area when I was younger, but 585 really turned it around.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:59 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:

Same here, spent 13 years down south in NC and am now so happy to live back here. I agree 100% that it takes some perspective to really appreciate the quality of life that we enjoy here. I'm not by any means saying that anybody who moves away should want to come back; but I do think that once you live somewhere else...no matter what your opinion was of Rochester was before you left; chances are you are bound to find at least some things that you'll miss.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:12 PM

240 posts, read 557,701 times
I miss a lot of stuff. I miss Wegmans, and autumn, and Bully Hill, and Letchworth (okay not all "Rochester" per say but general area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area