Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,596,410 times

Advertisements

Thanks Cheeto, nice to have a newcomer's outside perspective. As you may soon come to realize if you read this forum enough, most of those most adamant that Rochester is such a terrible place and pretty much only make negative comparisons between here and any other place they've been to are those who have never LIVED anywhere else.

Though even I must ask...Rochester more beautiful than San Diego? I find that a little hard to believe. lol. Must have been in a REALLY marginal part of SD. lol

Though if you were talking about LA, I wouldn't give it a second thought; went there once just to check it out and get a glimpse at "Hollywood"...gross. Once was definitely enough, and probably once too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,882,109 times
Hidden gem, HA! 3 months isn't long enough to realize what a mismanaged hole of this downward spiral city is. You'll soon realize that the museums you might visit 4 times a year and the restaurants you can find anywhere else won't make up for the rest of the downfalls. But hey, have fun while you can.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 PM

^^^ Case in Point

Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 AM

194 posts, read 464,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Thanks Cheeto, nice to have a newcomer's outside perspective. As you may soon come to realize if you read this forum enough, most of those most adamant that Rochester is such a terrible place and pretty much only make negative comparisons between here and any other place they've been to are those who have never LIVED anywhere else.

Though even I must ask...Rochester more beautiful than San Diego? I find that a little hard to believe. lol. Must have been in a REALLY marginal part of SD. lol

Though if you were talking about LA, I wouldn't give it a second thought; went there once just to check it out and get a glimpse at "Hollywood"...gross. Once was definitely enough, and probably once too many.
You misunderstood, I said coming from beautiful SD, I still consider Rochester to be one of the nicest cities I've had the chance to spend time in. I wouldn't say it's more beautiful than San Diego, but compared to many cities, especially in the east, Rochester is blessed with natural beauty that many locals take for granted.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:19 AM

41 posts, read 138,637 times
rochester = detroit, but smaller, and without sports teams to distract you from the odor of post industrial decay.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 AM

^^^ another case in point

Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM

93,443 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
^^^ another case in point
Exactly and it's not even close, trust me.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:09 PM

26 posts, read 42,303 times
Default The Truth About Rochester

I just moved to Rochester six months ago and this is my summary of the Rochester "stereotypes":

Negatives:
1) Bad Weather - overall true although overblown. The only definitively distinctive feature is more cloudy days than the average American city.

2) Bad Economy - no more empty storefronts than any other place. Kodak/Xerox make this reputation hard to shake.

3) Conservative - compared to NYC: yes. Compared to average America: no way.

4) High Taxes - true. At least you kind of get a little money back in the form of good schools and nice parks.

Positives:
1) Great Quality of Life - absolutely true. Tons to do, little traffic, nice people, etc.

2) Great Education - absolutely true (though paid for in form of taxes)

3) Cheap - true, especially compared to places in Northeast

4) Big city culture - compared to NYC or Chicago: obviously no way. Compared to other similar sized places: phenomenal

Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 AM

99 posts, read 228,312 times
mfstr:

could not have said it better

Old 01-08-2011, 01:10 PM

116 posts, read 622,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acnemaster View Post
rochester = detroit, but smaller, and without sports teams to distract you from the odor of post industrial decay.
Such nonsense. How can you even post such a thing? There are sections of Detroit that look like they've spent a stint in war torn Bosnia. Where is a comparison in Rochester?

I have lived in quite a few areas and something a person has to be aware of is that ALL areas have negatives and ALL have positives. Rochester has many people with the ability to be employed anywhere in the US (e.g. myself) and have moved before (e.g. myself). Why would I happily stay here if it sucked as badly as some people say? Most of these people have left Rochester to some other city and continue to demonize it to help rationalize their decision. It really is that simple. A person who can list no positive of the city than that it's highway allows you to drive away from it is not worth listening to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area