Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:49 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
You should believe it, or else come and visit. There is absolutely nothing in Rochester like Bardstown Road and the Highlands of Louisville. Rochester is much more of a suburban based city. The only city in the south I can compare it to would be Birmingham, which is similarly fragmented. And yes, I do agree Charlotte is kind of bland. In an old and gritty way, Rochester is cooler. But you can't argue with Charlotte's growth and attracting young transplants. Also, I just didn't feel that "hip factor" there in Rochester. Granted, its been almost three years since I last visited. And it was not one or two visits...between 2000 and 2004 I must have hung out in Rochestor 20 times or more. It was fun because my friends were there for school, but it did seem stagnant, and many of the locals held that pessimism. It was just not as active in the young professional and dating scene, and certainly not in urban neighborhoods like Louisville. Now, I suppose it's changed a bit, but when its one of only a HANDFUL of metro areas losing population not only from the city, but from the metro, it can't be dong too much better.
I'm sorry, but if places like NYC and Boston don't have single strips bigger than what the entire metro area of this place has, I'm not going to believe a place like Louisville is going to. Your claim of being a suburban based city is an oxymoron. Its a city plain and simple. You not feeling the "hip" factor after visiting a handful of times really does not mean much since you don't seem to know anything about this area. There are "hip" areas that you obviously have not been to (park ave, south wedge, neighborhood of the arts). And no offense, but college kids are probably the worst judge of character when it comes to their surroundings. I've come across countless amounts of college kids in traveling that had no clue about the area they went to school in. Half the people I went to college with at SUNY Plattsburgh didn't know much of what the area had to offer and wrote the place off after 4 years. There is certainly a large young professional and dating scene here. When ever I go out I meet new people. There are groups for young professionals such as RATS(rochester area twenty somethings). I have come across some pessimistic people here but most weren't locals. Most were anti-social RIT kids that made no attempt to explore the area.
You only came to visit a handful of times. You are in no position to speak on this area.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:33 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,760,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Rochester metro isn't losing population; it's pretty steady/stagnant. The only major metros in the country losing population are Buffalo and Pittsburgh.
I agree, Rochester is not a major metro, but it IS losing population. So is the CSA. Rochester is declining with several other cities besides the ones you mentioned:

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(FYI, wiki gets these numbers straight from the US Census Bureau, its just presented in an easier to read table here)

When metro areas lose population, it is SERIOUS CONCERN about the vitality of the area.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I'm sorry, but if places like NYC and Boston don't have single strips bigger than what the entire metro area of this place has, I'm not going to believe a place like Louisville is going to. Your claim of being a suburban based city is an oxymoron. Its a city plain and simple. You not feeling the "hip" factor after visiting a handful of times really does not mean much since you don't seem to know anything about this area. There are "hip" areas that you obviously have not been to (park ave, south wedge, neighborhood of the arts). And no offense, but college kids are probably the worst judge of character when it comes to their surroundings. I've come across countless amounts of college kids in traveling that had no clue about the area they went to school in. Half the people I went to college with at SUNY Plattsburgh didn't know much of what the area had to offer and wrote the place off after 4 years. There is certainly a large young professional and dating scene here. When ever I go out I meet new people. There are groups for young professionals such as RATS(rochester area twenty somethings). I have come across some pessimistic people here but most weren't locals. Most were anti-social RIT kids that made no attempt to explore the area.
You only came to visit a handful of times. You are in no position to speak on this area.
Please watch the way you speak to people. I am entitled to my opinion of Rochester and have spent lots of time there. NYC has multiple strips with more activity than Rochester and Louisville COMBINED, so I disagree with you there again. You are also very wrong about where I have been, as my friends lived in the Wedge bc it was close to school. It was small and not very vibrant at night compared to other mid sized cities hip districts, and many stores keep odd hours or close early. Park Ave was ok but not "hopping." It was only "hip" in relative comparison to everywhere else in the metro. Its a nice city with good people, it was just not vibrant for young professionals and college students as of 2004. That may have changed in the last 3-4 years, and I certainly hope it has. Maybe I will get back to Rochester for a visit soon when I vist friends in Buffalo.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:14 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,599,447 times
Quote:
I agree, Rochester is not a major metro, but it IS losing population. So is the CSA. Rochester is declining with several other cities besides the ones you mentioned:

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(FYI, wiki gets these numbers straight from the US Census Bureau, its just presented in an easier to read table here)

When metro areas lose population, it is SERIOUS CONCERN about the vitality of the area.

oh gee...if WIKIPEDIA has those numbers they must be COMPLETELY ACCURATE. Even if they are, the metro area of over 1 million people lost 2000 (or .23 of a percent) according to ESTIMATES, which are almost always off and have huge margins of error. They usually underestimate the populations of all of the metros.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:58 AM

897 posts, read 2,458,832 times
Quote:

census msa.............2006...................2000....... ............change....%
Rochester, Ny......1,035,435............. 1,037,833............ -2,398... -0.2

Estimates of Population Change for Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Rankings: July 1, 2005 to July 1, 2006 (http://www.census.gov/population/www/estimates/CBSA-est2006-pop-chg.html - broken link)

Old 01-13-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
oh gee...if WIKIPEDIA has those numbers they must be COMPLETELY ACCURATE. Even if they are, the metro area of over 1 million people lost 2000 (or .23 of a percent) according to ESTIMATES, which are almost always off and have huge margins of error. They usually underestimate the populations of all of the metros.
Reread my post and please, why the sarcasm? Rochester is LOSING POPULATION per the US CENSUS BUREAU. The city, MSA, and CSA, are ALL LOSING POPULATION. Wikipedia was kind enough to present the info from the Census in an easier to read chart, but the stats are straight from the census. And as you can see, the facts I posted are confirmed above.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 PM

there was no census in 2006....reread MY post. Any numbers other than the official census, which hasn't been taken since 2000 and won't be taken again until 2010, are ESTIMATES. These ESTIMATES usually have large margins of error and are again, usually underestimated because they don't take many things into account that they do in official censuses. It is really nothing to argue over but all I had orginally said was that the metro population of Rochester was fairly stable/stagnant and not dropping at a very fast rate as some have suggested. I made no claim of this area growing by leeps and bounds or anything of the sort. Please go troll somewhere else.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:47 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,396 times
Quote:
Please watch the way you speak to people. I am entitled to my opinion of Rochester and have spent lots of time there. NYC has multiple strips with more activity than Rochester and Louisville COMBINED, so I disagree with you there again. You are also very wrong about where I have been, as my friends lived in the Wedge bc it was close to school. It was small and not very vibrant at night compared to other mid sized cities hip districts, and many stores keep odd hours or close early. Park Ave was ok but not "hopping." It was only "hip" in relative comparison to everywhere else in the metro. Its a nice city with good people, it was just not vibrant for young professionals and college students as of 2004. That may have changed in the last 3-4 years, and I certainly hope it has. Maybe I will get back to Rochester for a visit soon when I vist friends in Buffalo.

You are just flat out wrong. The wedge may have been small in comparison to another place because its located in a smaller city. I has multiple bars, restaurants that keep later hours. They don't close early. If I want to get some food at midnight, I can. Multiple out of towners have commented on how "cool" and "hip" the park ave area was, so your comment does not really hold any water. It has the same amenities that other cities offer.
There is plenty to do for young professionals. You would not know about it because you were only a college student, and like I said before college students are very poor judges of character. You did not spend any extended period of time here in a real life situation, you are in no position to speak on the city or what it offers.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:15 PM

I was arguing with a college student about population estimates? Why does a college student care about such things. Are you studying echonomics, sociology, geogropthy or anything like that Stx? Or are you just bored?

Old 01-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I was arguing with a college student about population estimates? Why does a college student care about such things. Are you studying echonomics, sociology, geogropthy or anything like that Stx? Or are you just bored?
I have been out of college 4 years now, and and am working on the highest graduate degree one can obtain. I am sorry you are so quick to discredit me and talk down to me. My opinion stands, and many agree...Rochester is not a place for hip young professionals. You are fine to disagree, but again, please watch how you talk down to people. You cannot argue with the US Census Estimates that show Rochester declining, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area