Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:12 PM

222 posts, read 691,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Need names of these places please....
There was a cheese factory between buffalo and rochester - do you know the name of it? Also there was a restaurant I think it was in LeRoy - it was very pretty in a country setting right off the Thruway..I use to order brook trout there with my Mom. Also there was a jazz nightclub in downtown Rochester - kind of a dive where I went to hear Miles Davis..can't remember the names of these places - anybody know? Also what was the department store that was in the downtown mall that went out of business? Not Sibley's - but the other one - I got a really nice cashmere sweater there
There was also a restaurant not far from Eastman that was like an old fahsioned tea parlor where the old ladies with white gloves used to come for dainty little sandwiches and waldorf salads..can't remember the name of that one either...thanks!

the department store that was in the downtown mall that went out of business? Not Sibley's - but the other one
McCurdy's ? maybe

Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 PM

355 posts, read 869,932 times
Best kept secret for Ribs in Rochester, the Merchant Street Smokehouse in Brockport. They even one-up Dinosaur BBQ if you can believe that. Try them, you won't be disappointed.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,601,982 times
I'm having a very hard time believing some joint in Brockport, or anywhere in the Northeast besides Dinosaur can have as good as ribs as Dinosaur

Old 12-12-2007, 08:49 PM

525 posts, read 1,829,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I'm having a very hard time believing some joint in Brockport, or anywhere in the Northeast besides Dinosaur can have as good as ribs as Dinosaur
IMO Sticky Lips for Ribs. Dino has the pulled pork and BBQ sides. Market Street is pretty good though. Actually I might give them the nod for top brisket.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,908,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khayla007 View Post
the department store that was in the downtown mall that went out of business? Not Sibley's - but the other one
McCurdy's ? maybe
Yes it was McCurdys, and I remember the cheese store - Kutters...thanks

Old 12-13-2007, 06:22 PM

897 posts, read 2,459,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Best kept secret for Ribs in Rochester, the Merchant Street Smokehouse in Brockport. They even one-up Dinosaur BBQ if you can believe that. Try them, you won't be disappointed.
The Smokehouse is not bad but I would put Dinosaur above it. Last time I went to the smokehouse I got some poor service and the food was ok.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 PM

897 posts, read 2,459,200 times
how about Beale st cafe and Mykonos. The gut buster Sub from brockport and Hilton Big M grocery stores.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:02 PM

222 posts, read 691,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Yes it was McCurdys, and I remember the cheese store - Kutters...thanks
I recall the little peanut shop downtown it use to smell so good in there

Old 12-16-2007, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 7,744 times
Thanks for the good memories... I'm an East High grad

Midtown is going to be torn down?!? What about the monorail and Magic Mountain at Christmas? I treasure the picture of my dog on Santa's lap on pet night in 1991.

The little train they had in the basement of Edward's downtown department store for children to ride at Christmas...

The animated displays at Christmas, now I'm not sure about this, but I think they were on the fifth floor at Sibley's...

That great fabric store on Anderson Avenue...

Wegman's Wokery had the best Peking Ribs...

Salvatore's pizza- they knew our voice when we called and always got our order right...

Sal's Birdland- my second favorite...

Corn Hill's annual festival...

Park Avenue's annual festival...

Eccentric Monroe Avenue...

Free bus rides on the Sundays between Thanksgiving and Christmas...

The suburban malls, Long Ridge, Greecetown, Eastview, Marketplace and the big one in Irondequoit...

The little store on Culver Road by the corner of Parsells Avenue that had the best subs...

Durand and Charlotte beaches...

Imagine my surprise when I found the 'Charlotte Genessee' lighthouse replica in our local Walmart store along with the rest of the Christmas village items! I immediately bought it and added it to my collection of Christmas houses.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:35 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,601,982 times
Greecetown and Long Ridge Malls have been combined as "Greeceridge" mall (it's huge)since the mid 90's... lol. How long has it been since you've lived here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area