Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:07 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Jenny would make a special "Cream Ale" in the fall. Is the new old brewer doing the same? Falling Water is the new name correct.....
Genesee Cream Ale? To my knowledge the Genesee Brewing Company has only made one type... "Cream Ale" for nearly 48 years. I have never heard of "Falling Water".

Old 12-23-2007, 07:21 AM

525 posts, read 1,827,897 times
Quote:
Zweigle's dogs..... tried too get my local store too carry them here,"BUT" then need a huge customer base. So I contacted Zweigle's they said minimum order of 100# pounds bulk......... "O" well next time I'm up their I'll buy a couple of packs.....Their was back in 86 several stands around Rochester that just served white & red hots and fries..... are they still their?
Memory serves me their was one in Penfield....
Try this...

http://www.nystyledeli.com/cgi-bin/deli/index.html

Old 12-23-2007, 08:40 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Question Genesee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrack View Post
Genesee Cream Ale? To my knowledge the Genesee Brewing Company has only made one type... "Cream Ale" for nearly 48 years. I have never heard of "Falling Water".
I was under the impression from talking with people 8-10 years ago from Rochester that after all most 100 years that Genesee Brewing Company went out of business and the former employees got together and renamed it "Falling Water's Brewing Co." They still make some of the old Genesse product but also came up with their own special brews depending on the time of the year. I know when I lived in Rochester back in the early 70's they would have several special brews in the Fall. And their was a special "Dark Cream Ale that was produced for the fall.... Please correct me if this information is incorrect on the new name.......

Old 12-23-2007, 08:41 AM

Smile White Hots!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochacha View Post
Thanks........

Old 12-23-2007, 12:02 PM

28 posts, read 110,038 times
The correct name is High Falls Brewery

Old 12-23-2007, 12:33 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
I was under the impression from talking with people 8-10 years ago from Rochester that after all most 100 years that Genesee Brewing Company went out of business and the former employees got together and renamed it "Falling Water's Brewing Co." They still make some of the old Genesse product but also came up with their own special brews depending on the time of the year. I know when I lived in Rochester back in the early 70's they would have several special brews in the Fall. And their was a special "Dark Cream Ale that was produced for the fall.... Please correct me if this information is incorrect on the new name.......
Forgive my ignorance, as someone else mentioned it is now "High Falls" brewing but both that and the "Genesee Brewing Company" are both used in conversation as I am testament. However I did not know about the varieties of Cream Ale, and it makes me very upset that they no longer exist! I was not alive during the period you speak of!

Old 12-23-2007, 03:16 PM

Smile High Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Forgive my ignorance, as someone else mentioned it is now "High Falls" brewing but both that and the "Genesee Brewing Company" are both used in conversation as I am testament. However I did not know about the varieties of Cream Ale, and it makes me very upset that they no longer exist! I was not alive during the period you speak of!
Yes it was a great beer. Yes their Cream Ale is great. I could be mistaken on the Cream Ale........ I'm going too try too find the real name I hope. It was a special brew late autum early fall.....

Old 12-23-2007, 03:18 PM

Smile High Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevanative View Post
The correct name is High Falls Brewery
Thanks!!!..... Geneva was one of my haunts back in the late 60's. Hobart ~William Smith and their lacrosse....... and the old fishing pier on the lake.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:58 PM

Smile Genesse Beer

You where correct on the Cream Ale.... Here's a list. I was thinking of the Special Bock........

Portfolio of Brews
Genesee Beer. Fully kraeusened to produce carbonation naturally for a clean, smooth taste, "Genny" is brewed with six-row barley malt, corn grits, hops from the Yakima Valley and Genesee's exclusive botton-fermenting yeast. Genesee Beer was introduced in 1878.

http://www.history.rochester.edu/class/beer/genny.htm

The Bock was in the spring not the fall...... Old age and many years away from the area.......

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-23-2007 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: copyright

Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 PM

209 posts, read 739,243 times
Check out this amazing film from 1963: Rochester: A City of Quality. Note the great voice of Ken Nordine.

One thing particularly interesting is an allusion to what became the reason for the downfall of Midtown Plaza and downtown Rochester - the fact that Monroe Co. moved its soul, money, and moral responsibility out to the suburbs very early, and that Midtown was an attempt to replicate suburban aesthetics in the city. Just 30 years later, McCurdy's and B. Foreman were gone and Midtown was a zombie. Monroe County was doomed to be a doughnut. Rochester never wanted to be a city.

Let's hope Paetec gets some new spirit in town with their project. But I continue to be pessimistic because of the ingrained suburban mentality - and the legal restrictions - of Monroe Co.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area