Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times

Advertisements

I agree that not every town in monroe county needs its own police force, fire department, etc and there should definitely be more cooperation amongst the towns of the county to lessen the tax burden; but I will NEVER support a county-wide school system. We had that in NC and it was a mess....probably the thing we hated most about living there.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 PM

525 posts, read 1,828,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
For example, I'm in Irondequoit. We do not need two separate school districts. The two districts create uneeded administrators which keep the taxes higher. We do not need our own police force either when we pay for monroe county sheriffs. Get rid of the town police force and set up sub stations around the county.
I live in Irondequoit as well and I disagree about not needing the police force. We are located much to close to many undesirable areas to get rid of them and rely on the sheriffs. They are known as being strict SOBs and I thank them for it...it is no doubt one of the reasons that Irondequoit is so safe.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
I think if they set up a sheriff sub station in the Irondequoit area, maybe somewhere on East Ridge road, it could be pretty effective.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
With the exception of your teaching experience, which only represents a narrow view, that entire rant was unbased. Everything from "My area is more of a city than yours" to "My area is more unique than yours". Not trying to be a jerk here.

Lets start with your assumption that people only care about their small little area over "Rochester" as a whole. Did you poll people? Where are you getting this from? I don't know very many people who only care about their little suburb. People venture out everywhere. Countless amounts of people care for their neighborhoods, contrary to what you claim.
Though I have not viewed the threads on louisville, I have researched this city in the past, viewed other forms and spoken to people that spent time there. They paint a much different picture than what you give. The others tell me that its a very segregated city with much racism. That goes against what you have said in other postings. Postings in other forums paint the Louisville area as boring with no real entertainment (I usually dismiss these claims as internet people much of the time are bitter for no good reason). Just pointing out that not everybody sees your home as the utopia as you make it out to be.
I don't know what you want from the water spots. There is currently a development in Charlotte that is in the planning stages (there used to be an amusement park there).
As for the other water areas, what do you expect? The bay has some restaurants on empire blvd but you can't do much else with it. Its surrounded by wetlands and ellison park. I say a nice protected park captures more beauty than shopping and retail. At the front of the bay you have some restaurants but you can't do much else since you have giant cliffs surrounding the area. You got the river going through downtown, but you can't build much along that since its surrounded by old buildings, though there is a nice park area by the federal building. There is the high falls area, which for a while had some entertainment, but is now being turned into a retail/housing area.
There are "weirdos" in the area. Everybody knows the "festival guy" that gives a nice touch to area festivals. There are artists that give certain neighborhoods a unique touch. There are even unique homeless people that everybody knows. This is not the 50s and the smugtown book is irrelevant.
Rochester has plenty of unique neighborhoods. The corn hill area is different from the 19th ward which is different from the park ave area and so forth. I don't know where you are getting that the college is so isolated. Lots of students live in the surrounding areas of the 19th ward and south wedge. Even though its not a college neighborhood, you see the "hip" clothing stores, bars and restaurants in the south wedge. You also see this in the park ave area. The students are mixing with the residents. You don't see much of the college type stuff in the surrounding 19th ward area because its mostly an owner occupied housing neighborhood. Rochester is not a college town so you are not going to get a college atmosphere.
People probably blew you off when you tried to bring up the "problems" because what you say does not hold true for the most part. Yes many of the things mentioned above can use some improvement, but they are in no shape the way you describe them. There are many exciting things about the area that makes it very unique. It sounds like you missed out on some of these things.

You probably need to read more about Louisville then. Louisville has multiple entertainment districts and is attracting young professionals and corporate growth. It's no utopia, but I don't see the stagnation like I did when I visited Rochester several times when I went to college in the NE. Louisville has one strip alone with more distinct restaurants, shops, and a young, hip pedestrian vibe than anywhere I saw in Rochester metro combined, and I used to kick it all around that town when I went to visit friends from Manhattan who were going to school there. They often drove to Buffalo or even came home to Manhattan for entertainment when we didn't go up there. I also am a city nut so I have seen the problems with the economy and population decline sinde I have been out of college, which must be really bad when even the CSA has lost population in the latest estimates (meaning not only the center city, but many inner ring suburbs are declining).

I do agree Louronclou said some mean things about Rochester, but it is seroiously way behind most other mid sized cities, especially in the south. People do not cry foul when it is pointed out that Detroit is way behind Atlanta, two "peer" cities. Because, well, it is. Instead, maybe Rochester could learn from mid south boomtowns. Louisville sure has, and has taken many ideas from places like Nashville and Charlotte which are very large central cities like Louisville that have also grown much faster over the last 20 years, and have added smart urban infill.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:09 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
When did I say that Louisville did not have these things? I clearly pointed out that I dismiss many internet claims like that and was just pointing out to the other person that everybody did not see his city the way he does.
Your post is suspect. It is very hard to believe that one strip would have more restaurants, hops, vibe than an entire metro area of over 1 million people. You obviously have only been to Rochester once or twice and took no time to explore it. There is plenty going on in the area. Multiple entertainment districts and whatnot.
I would not like to take anything from these southern boom towns. Places like charlotte are boring souless places with no distinct culture. I hope Louisville would not take anything from a place like that since louronclou describes it as a pretty hip place. This area may be behind in job growth and population growth compared to a place like Charlotte, but it is miles ahead in the areas that make it a unique place with lots to do.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:54 PM

525 posts, read 1,828,210 times
One thing that will help is global warming...if it really is all that it is cracked up to be. The nicer climate will help and the areas like Charlotte and Louisville will become arid deserts

Old 01-11-2008, 04:03 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
When did I say that Louisville did not have these things? I clearly pointed out that I dismiss many internet claims like that and was just pointing out to the other person that everybody did not see his city the way he does.
Your post is suspect. It is very hard to believe that one strip would have more restaurants, hops, vibe than an entire metro area of over 1 million people. You obviously have only been to Rochester once or twice and took no time to explore it. There is plenty going on in the area. Multiple entertainment districts and whatnot.
I would not like to take anything from these southern boom towns. Places like charlotte are boring souless places with no distinct culture. I hope Louisville would not take anything from a place like that since louronclou describes it as a pretty hip place. This area may be behind in job growth and population growth compared to a place like Charlotte, but it is miles ahead in the areas that make it a unique place with lots to do.
You should believe it, or else come and visit. There is absolutely nothing in Rochester like Bardstown Road and the Highlands of Louisville. Rochester is much more of a suburban based city. The only city in the south I can compare it to would be Birmingham, which is similarly fragmented. And yes, I do agree Charlotte is kind of bland. In an old and gritty way, Rochester is cooler. But you can't argue with Charlotte's growth and attracting young transplants. Also, I just didn't feel that "hip factor" there in Rochester. Granted, its been almost three years since I last visited. And it was not one or two visits...between 2000 and 2004 I must have hung out in Rochestor 20 times or more. It was fun because my friends were there for school, but it did seem stagnant, and many of the locals held that pessimism. It was just not as active in the young professional and dating scene, and certainly not in urban neighborhoods like Louisville. Now, I suppose it's changed a bit, but when its one of only a HANDFUL of metro areas losing population not only from the city, but from the metro, it can't be dong too much better.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:08 PM

Rochester metro isn't losing population; it's pretty steady/stagnant. The only major metros in the country losing population are Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:57 PM

897 posts, read 2,458,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Rochester metro isn't losing population; it's pretty steady/stagnant. The only major metros in the country losing population are Buffalo and Pittsburgh.
I know NYS is now beating CA for most people migrating out of the state.That would make us number 1.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:43 PM

yes, domestic migration-wise, most metro areas acrross much of the country are actually losing population. But when you count birth rates and immigration, most areas see at least a small increase in total population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area