Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:27 PM

12 posts, read 27,094 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to rochester from tacoma washington in December. It seems that Rochester is going through the same revitalization that Tacoma is going through. Rochester has more wonderful neighborhoods it seems and magnificent homes for alot less. My wife was there and picked the upper monroe neighborhood. She was stunned to see how beautiful all of rochester is and nice the people are. I feel like we have been lied to all along in regards to the housing market in the northwest. The northwest is beautiful, but people are beginning to become money hungry and it is hurting the region. I lived in new york as a kid and looking forward to going back. I ask that if any one has a comment please remember that I am not knocking the northwest, as it is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2006, 05:40 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,609,555 times
The upper-monroe area of Rochester is great, it has some of the most beautiful homes in the city. If you have kids; the public schools aren't that great in the city; but if you can afford them there are some excellent Catholic schools.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:06 PM

11 posts, read 35,744 times
Post Same question!

I was about to post a similar question to cadence's. I am coming from the metro Detroit area, however, and looking at upstate/Central NY once I graduate from college (next December). I'm a winter person so the idea of even more snow doesn't bother me... Actually, I would love to have snow on Christmas again! It's been green the past few years. I know that upstate NY is having some problems, but coming from SE MI with mega-high insurance (highest in the country), low chances of getting a job (8 major metro areas in the state are in the top 20 for unemployment), anywhere is going to be better, right?

Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 AM

16 posts, read 48,872 times
Default I Feel Exactly the Same Way!

Cadence75, I know exactly how you feel about the Northwest. I grew up here and it is a different place than it was 25 years ago. I am actually looking at upstate NY to try to find a place to raise my kids that is more like where I grew up ie pre-Microsoft Seattle. Housing prices are crazy! We are lucky that we did buy a home 7 years ago, but it is too small for us and we do not have the means to upgrade. On the other hand, when we move we will bring lots of equity with us-
My husband is originally from NY and excited to go back too. I do want to know if anyone knows about Rochester and surrounds schools especially in regards to children with special needs (I have a 6-year-old autistic little boy). I also want to know if there are great neighborhoods inside the city of Rochester to raise kids. After sitting in traffic for most of our lives, we dream of being able to walk places
I know the weather will be a bit of a shock for me. But my best friend from High School lives in Canton NY and does just fine with it.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:04 PM

There are some GREAT neighborhoods for families in the city if Rochester, mostly in the southeast quadrant; Ellwanger-Barry, Sillburgh, Highland, Cobbs Hill, etc. These neighborhoods are very safe and offer large turn of the century homes with loads of charecter and lots of room for really good prices and low taxes (for NYS standards at least). The only problem is the schools in the city aren't that great. Wilson T. Magnet school in the city is a major exception, and is actually in the top 10 high schools in the nation; there is also School without Walls and Benjamin Franklin Montessori school. There's many catholic schools in the city as well. However, the town of Brighton, which is very similar to the southeastern quadrant of the city (the houses are a little more spread out so it's not really "city living", but they are mostly pre-WWII houses), has excellent schools accross the board. The taxes will be higher in Brighton than in the city though.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:35 PM

117 posts, read 435,614 times
for schools, I agree with the vote for Brighton....however, we are in Pittsford which does have a proper village that you can walk to school, library, etc if you buy a house in the village.
Schools are amazing....in our school every classroom has at least 1 full time aide assigned to a special needs kid....it seems as thought the district is incredibly supportive of special needs...the taxes are the highest that we have ever paid anywhere in the US

Old 10-25-2006, 08:07 PM

16 posts, read 48,872 times
Thanks so much for the info! I have looked at the taxes and glad that I am aware of them before I move because they are considerable. However they are only a little more than we pay now - because our taxes here are based on the value of our home. Frankly, if it goes to the schools, I don't care. I have looked at Pittsford as both high schools there have made the top 100 list, that is pretty impressive!

Old 10-25-2006, 08:34 PM

306 posts, read 1,621,630 times
NWGirl31, you'll find excellent social services along with first-rate support for your son in the better schools that posters have identified here. I was a social worker in NY state for several years working with retarded and autistic adults, and then for ten more doing the same kind of job in Virginia. While Virginia's social services are among the best in the South, NY's are among the very best in the country. You'll hear a lot of talk of tight budgets and even cut-backs, but the social services in NY are still excellent. They're very good at integrating special ed and social services generally.

And I fully second the opinions you're getting here about the area's live-ability. Pick the right town, or the right area of Rochester, and you can indeed have a great family life. People really get the most of their summers up there, a strong family-oriented ethic prevails, and making the best of the winters is second-nature. Plus, building snowmen, snow forts, etc., with your family in winter; sledding; ice-skating; walking the dog in a blizzard--these are really bonding and memorable things. In the summer, you have a ton of choices to rent a simple cabin on any number of unspoiled lakes, and your kid(s) will love that, too. Terrific hiking, biking, and state/local park options for the whole family. A lot of inclusive county & state programs for your son.

Best of luck in your move!

Old 10-26-2006, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 9,422 times
I also agree with Brighton even though I'm an outsider. Pittsford is excellent too. My sister has lived in Brighton and Rochester for over 20 years and she believes there is a slight cultural difference between Pittsford and Brighton. Both have excellent schools, and crushingly high property taxes to go with them (someone has to pay for those schools, generous social services and Medicaid) generally from $4,000 to $10,000 a year depending on the house. Although, to me this doesn't seem so bad since where I live (Scarsdale) $10,000-$40,000 a year is the normal property tax range. (I'm not kidding) However, according to her, Pittsford people tend to be a little snootier. That will offend someone I'm sure, and I know it's a broad generalization, I'm just reporting what I've heard. Both communities are wealthy (for upstate NY) but there is a little bit of a difference in culture. Brighton is a little more academically inclined, Pittsford a little more athletically inclined. Pittsford is certainly a more beautiful looking place, with more open space, Brighton is a little more urban (it's right on the city line). Rochester itself probably has the healthiest economy of any upstate city - but that's not saying much. I wouldn't want to live in the city of Rochester - it's homicide rate is higher than New York's and the public schools are NOT good. Finally, if you do opt for Pittsford then, yes, it does have a real 'village' in the center, but it's also a very large town geographically and sis says you actually DO drive everywhere unless you live right in the village, which not many people do.

Old 10-26-2006, 01:09 PM

Brighton isn't as affluent as Pittsford, so Pittsford is somewhat "snootier". Pittsford is more "country club", while Brighton is more " fine dining/theatres". Also, Pittsford is mostly new money while Brighton is definitely more old money. The Village of Pittsford is like the perfect New England town etched out of the middle of suburbia. Schoen Place on the Erie canal is a great place to go durring summer and fall to walk the promenade, feed the ducks, and then eat at one of the several restaraunts overlooking the water. Brighton tends to be more liberal while Pittsford is probably more conservative as well. There are also many other towns in the Rochester area; particularly those on the west side, that often get looked over. Greece, Henrietta, Webster (I guess that one doesn't get looked over, it's the fastest growing town in Upstate NY), Penfield, Perinton (Fairport), Hilton, and Mendon are all excellent towns to raise a family in as well. The only suburbs I would suggest you avoid are Gates and Irondequoit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area