Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2021, 09:51 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,774,788 times

Advertisements

Do you have a swell little crime map like this for Portland, Maine? The state where you live.

Old 01-25-2021, 09:59 AM

23,968 posts, read 19,221,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Do you have a swell little crime map like this for Portland, Maine? The state where you apparently live.

independent man if you would like to see a crime map for Portland, ME, I say post that in the Maine forum and I will do my best to help you. As for this thread, please keep it on topic which is the "Providence drug trade". My regards.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:04 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,932,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Do you have a swell little crime map like this for Portland, Maine? The state where you live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YweKU8ckalk

Old 01-25-2021, 11:35 AM

4,491 posts, read 3,287,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Thank you sir for your concerns, be glad to assist you. The colors were meaningless. Think of a bag of M&Ms (although some people swear the reds have a cherry twist to them). Nah, just got lazy and didn't bother changing color from what I had set on the other map at the time. And if you look, you will see that the points of interest are actually a different tint of blue and are also labeled so one can see what they are. But anyhow, I would be more than happy to simplify it for you. All the drug incidents are now shown in "black".

Do you have this info for the rest of the state?

Old 01-25-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
Do you have this info for the rest of the state?

This was obtained from the Providence Police Case log. Some departments may have that info. available while some may not bother releasing it. Is there a particular city/town you are interested in?

Old 01-25-2021, 11:39 AM

4,491 posts, read 3,287,763 times
Quote:
North Smithfield Police arrest woman Kerrie Dugas, 42, last shown address of 184 Rathbun St, Woonsocket, in convenience store parking lot after they witness her making a hand to hand transaction. Upon searching her car, they found cash and drugs to include 20 grams of fentanyl (enough to kill a good 10,000 people).

North Smithfield police seize drugs, money from woman's car

https://turnto10.com/news/local/nort...rom-womans-car

Not her first occurrence either. In 2019 she was arrested in a bust in Newport, and was also reportedly arraigned for drug charges in Kent County after this recent arrest.

https://www.newportri.com/news/20190...-investigation

Found this cover photo:

So this wouldn't be on your Providence map, presumably?

Yet it's in the Providence drug trade thread? That's certainly confusing. Neither the sale or the seller were in Providence

Old 01-25-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
So this wouldn't be on your Providence map, presumably?

Yet it's in the Providence drug trade thread? That's certainly confusing. Neither the sale or the seller were in Providence

N Smithfield is in the Providence area. City lines are porous, and the drug trade is quite mobile. Especially the fentanyl, I say there's an excellent chance it made contact with the city of Providence at some point in the process. Kind of like when you track an Amazon package, and goes from X to Z to Y before it's shipped to your house. Not sure where the confusion lies?

Old 01-25-2021, 06:10 PM

3,886 posts, read 2,796,070 times
Quote:
Thank you sir for your concerns, be glad to assist you. The colors were meaningless. Think of a bag of M&Ms (although some people swear the reds have a cherry twist to them). Nah, just got lazy and didn't bother changing color from what I had set on the other map at the time. And if you look, you will see that the points of interest are actually a different tint of blue and are also labeled so one can see what they are. But anyhow, I would be more than happy to simplify it for you. All the drug incidents are now shown in "black".
It's a matter of clarity, of properly representing the story to the uninitiated. Don't be lazy. If you're truly doing a "public service" then you have a responsibility to uphold for your readers.

Now, is that all drug busts for 2020? In addition to "milling operations", is the remainder all street deals, or just "large" street deals? You say the "drug trade" is a completely separate issue from everyday users, so where do you draw the line for size of drug deal bust? Where do you draw the line between the "drug trade" and users buying from their dealers? You seem particularly interested in the gang activity aspect, so how have you sussed that out?

You've obviously shown more than just heroin milling operations. Your map shows a bust on Niantic Avenue in the Industrial Park, for instance (doesn't show up in PPD police logs in last six months, so we have to "trust" you that it happened as you say). That wouldn't be a milling operation. If a neighborhood dealer selling a dime bag is busted, does he show up on your map? Because street level deals happen all over cities all over the nation, and it would be pretty silly to put them all on a map.

Where have you documented your methodology?

Old 01-25-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
It's a matter of clarity, of properly representing the story to the uninitiated. Don't be lazy. If you're truly doing a "public service" then you have a responsibility to uphold for your readers.

Now, is that all drug busts for 2020? In addition to "milling operations", is the remainder all street deals, or just "large" street deals? You say the "drug trade" is a completely separate issue from everyday users, so where do you draw the line for size of drug deal bust? Where do you draw the line between the "drug trade" and users buying from their dealers? You seem particularly interested in the gang activity aspect, so how have you sussed that out?

You've obviously shown more than just heroin milling operations. Your map shows a bust on Niantic Avenue in the Industrial Park, for instance (doesn't show up in PPD police logs in last six months, so we have to "trust" you that it happened as you say). That wouldn't be a milling operation. If a neighborhood dealer selling a dime bag is busted, does he show up on your map? Because street level deals happen all over cities all over the nation, and it would be pretty silly to put them all on a map.

Where have you documented your methodology?

All explained in post #96.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:44 PM

3,886 posts, read 2,796,070 times
Quote:
Let's keep this on topic of the drug trade in Providence. Just as I posted a map of serious violent crime in the city, I did a similar one for drug busts.

Derived from the Providence Police Case Log, these are the logged Manufacturing/Trafficking/Distribution charges from 2020. These are exclusively of those carried out by the Providence Police, and do not include those of the feds/DEA.

No real surprises here. The Althea/Sorrento/Linwood triangle is a hot spot as it long has been. Broad St./Prairie Ave. triangle. Manton Heights area on the Olneyville/Mt. Pleasant border, Hartford Projects, etc.

Post 96 doesn't answer the questions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island