Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 07:15 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,812,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
you lose credibility when you call Mt. Hope a violent ghetto neighborhood and then note their is little drug dealing.
Not only does the man have no credibility, he has no shame. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. And why the vendetta to take so much effort trashing all of these city neighborhoods? From rural Maine no less. So strange.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:16 PM

24,025 posts, read 19,463,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2448 View Post
you lose credibility when you call Mt. Hope a violent ghetto neighborhood and then note their is little drug dealing.

Care to elaborate? I mean I'm sure there is on some level (for the sake of this discussion there is none documented by the police last year), but it's not the 1980s anymore. The crack era is over.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Not only does the man have no credibility, he has no shame. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. And why the vendetta to take so much effort trashing all of these city neighborhoods? From rural Maine no less. So strange.

I'm not in the business of trashing neighborhoods sir, but merely discussing facts and data. I realize that's not your thing, but it's what you're gonna need to do if you want to step up to this table.

Last edited by massnative71; 01-26-2021 at 07:41 PM..

Old 01-26-2021, 08:51 PM

3,901 posts, read 2,841,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
FOR THE LOVE OF MANKIND, I never made any such claim that the mapped incidents were all "big time drug manufacturing"! It's quite obvious that some of those are going to be street level dealing, as much as I question your notion of any deal being "not serious". I posted the map for discussion purposes and out of interest as it gives a good overview of where the activity is in the city. As you can see, it's clearly not evenly distributed. The "hotspots" on the map also clearly demonstrate where the commonly known "drug areas" are in the city. I find it interesting to compare it to the violent crime map I posted in the other thread, as far as where there is overlap and disparities. Some things that clearly stand out, is that the violent ghetto neighborhoods of Mt. Hope and Smith Hill show very little drug dealing activity at the moment. There are reasons for that. What do you think?

ormari, I'm thinking maybe you reside in one of those areas loaded with activity. Is that why you are so hostile to what this discussion reveals?
In this thread, I have tried to offer constructive criticism in a measured tone while holding you accountable for your body of postings, and to remind you that you bear a responsibility to be honest and accurate when presenting characterizations of our city's neighborhoods. That you interpret that as hostility perhaps betrays some inkling of guilt on your part, but more likely your protestations are just part of your shtick. I understand from your postings that you don't live here. From your extensive body of work on this forum, it is evident that you don't have on-the-ground insight nor clear vision of what actually transpires on our streets, in our city, in our state.

You have created a thread which addresses drug "manufacturing" and major drug trafficking, a thread which charges Providence as the "drug source city" for southern New England and even stretching into Maine. See post #1, for instance. It is a theme throughout this thread. You have routinely admonished posters who have veered off to discuss directly related topics that are inextricable from the drug trade at the street level, i.e. drug usage level. Totally different topic, you say. Focus on the big distribution picture, you suggest.

And yet you've posted a map that gives "a good overview of where the activity is in the city". What activity is that? Not just "heroin milling". Not just big drug deals with thousands in cash, large quantities of drugs, and weapons. No, as it happens, it includes street level drug use. But that's not your topic. Your topic is region-wide high level drug trade allegedly produced by Providence. In light of these facts, it's difficult not to interpret your map as a skewed representation used to fit your quixotic narrative about our city.

There are plenty of challenges in Providence. Several posters, myself included, have noted some of them in this forum. We don't need your distortions to erroneously complicate matters.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:37 AM

8,029 posts, read 4,812,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
In this thread, I have tried to offer constructive criticism in a measured tone while holding you accountable for your body of postings, and to remind you that you bear a responsibility to be honest and accurate when presenting characterizations of our city's neighborhoods. That you interpret that as hostility perhaps betrays some inkling of guilt on your part, but more likely your protestations are just part of your shtick. I understand from your postings that you don't live here. From your extensive body of work on this forum, it is evident that you don't have on-the-ground insight nor clear vision of what actually transpires on our streets, in our city, in our state.

You have created a thread which addresses drug "manufacturing" and major drug trafficking, a thread which charges Providence as the "drug source city" for southern New England and even stretching into Maine. See post #1, for instance. It is a theme throughout this thread. You have routinely admonished posters who have veered off to discuss directly related topics that are inextricable from the drug trade at the street level, i.e. drug usage level. Totally different topic, you say. Focus on the big distribution picture, you suggest.

And yet you've posted a map that gives "a good overview of where the activity is in the city". What activity is that? Not just "heroin milling". Not just big drug deals with thousands in cash, large quantities of drugs, and weapons. No, as it happens, it includes street level drug use. But that's not your topic. Your topic is region-wide high level drug trade allegedly produced by Providence. In light of these facts, it's difficult not to interpret your map as a skewed representation used to fit your quixotic narrative about our city.

There are plenty of challenges in Providence. Several posters, myself included, have noted some of them in this forum. We don't need your distortions to erroneously complicate matters.
An articulate, even if too charitable a summation.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post

Constructive criticism??? You offer no facts. No insight. You even admit yourself your lack of knowledge on the issue, yet you still feel the need to question everything I bring to the table on grounds of "well that's not the case because I said so and you live out of state so what could you possibly know yada yada yada..." I'm telling you it wears thin after a while.

It's long established that Providence is the source city when it comes to heroin/fentanyl for Southern New England (but not Northern New England). As you know, I began this thread after dealers from Providence were arrested in Maine (something not seen much of until then) and wondering if Providence's footprint as an opiate center had expanded. As is often the case with ongoing threads, the discussion has expanded to other things regarding the Providence drug trade. Since I was doing the shootings/stabbings map, I also thought it would be interesting to add a drug dealing map while I was at it. I was fully transparent in how the info was obtained, and did not try to sell it off as something it was not. I even disclosed that it likely omitted some major busts, given that it was of the Providence Police and did not include the feds. With that in mind, the data does not lie. You (and a few others here) may not like what it reveals, but serves no good to put a blindfold on reality. I suggest for the future that if you want to dispute the picture presented, come up with a concise argument for why you feel those facts are disputable and preferably with facts of your own to present your own case.

Old 01-27-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
An articulate, even if too charitable a summation.
Yeah another poster notoriously averse to the facts.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:37 AM

4,245 posts, read 1,745,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Post #s 1 and 96 answer both of your questions. READ.

Once again bro, post #96 describes EXACTLY how the data for the map was obtained. And that you admitted to viewing the case log yourself, you'd obviously be aware that it doesn't include those details of the incidents. That would require seeing the actual police reports. You think I wouldn't post that information if I had it??? Seriously. You are both being deliberately obtuse, or have serious comprehension issues.
Neither. It's insecurity. In their unbridled zeal to convince themselves that they "love it" there, Rhode Islanders will brook no aspersions cast upon their tiny and beleagured backwater. Real OR imagined. And most assuredly, not from those with the sense to live in another state. In how many other state forums does every new outhouse being constructed merit it's own thread? Or every car with an out-of-state plate lost on city streets? And not one of them dares to break from the collective hive of insularity. Think of it this way: if you lived in Rhode Island, would you dare peek over YOUR rose colored glasses? Started in any other forum, this thread wouldn't even be noticed. And hang onto your legs cuz there's blood in the water.

Last edited by PureBoston; 01-27-2021 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-27-2021, 08:43 AM

9,389 posts, read 15,128,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Neither. It's insecurity. In their unbridled zeal to convince themselves that they "love it" there, Rhode Islanders will brook no aspersions cast upon their tiny and beleagured backwater. Real OR imagined. And most assuredly, not from those with the sense to live in another state. In how many other state forums does every new outhouse being constructed merit it's own thread? Or every car with an out-of-state plate lost on city streets? And not one of them dares to break from the collective hive of insularity. Think of it this way: if you lived in Rhode Island, would you dare peek over YOUR rose colored glasses? Started in any other forum, this thread wouldn't even be noticed. And hang onto your legs cuz there's blood in the water.
Fortunately, anyone who actually lives here knows this is all utter nonsense and some really weird misguided continuous attempts from out-of-staters to denigrate this state. Rather remarkable and would have been shut down long ago if on any other state forum.

Your "insecurity" meme is crapola and way off the mark.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:46 AM

4,245 posts, read 1,745,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Fortunately, anyone who actually lives here knows this is all utter nonsense and some really weird misguided continuous attempts from out-of-staters to denigrate this state. Rather remarkable and would have been shut down long ago if on any other state forum.

Your "insecurity" meme is crapola and way off the mark.
Yes of course madam. I understand your frustration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island