Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 08:04 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,679,533 times

Advertisements

In my estimation, all of RI and CT are Southern New England. And let's say MA, below the Pike. Maybe the east/west divide at 91.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:16 AM

4,231 posts, read 1,679,533 times
Growing up, I never thought of Beantown as SNE, especially being the HUB. Though I didn't discover until recently that the term referred to New England and not the universe.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:24 AM

23,624 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
Growing up, I never thought of Beantown as SNE, especially being the HUB. Though I didn't discover until recently that the term referred to New England and not the universe.
Me neither. I know some only include SE Mass in there (south of the Bristol/Plymouth county lines). The 128/Pike line works for me. West of the Connecticut River just seems more like "Western NE" than "Southern NE" to me, as it's more tied to NY than Boston. The local teams change and everything.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:02 AM

3,822 posts, read 2,703,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Everyone's idea is going to differ slightly, but "my" Southern New England more or less has a northern boundary of Rte. 128/Mass Pike and a western boundary of around Sturbridge (with a line drawn 90 degrees south of there). "Connecticut" is kind of its own entity, especially if you are talking Hartford/Springfield/New Haven and points west of there. I'm definitely not alone in that sentiment.

As for Hartford/Springfield and Lawrence/Lowell being the primary hubs (over Providence), just look on the map. Knowing that the stuff generally originates in NYC, that is clearly out of the way for the bulk of Southern NE. Hartford/Springfield serves Western New England (91/84 corridor), and Lawrence Lowell Northern New England (Boston to Merrimack Valley/NH/ME). Providence serves the 95/195 corridor from New London to Cape/Islands and up to Boston.
The report you cited calls Hartford/Springfield a primary source, Providence/Fall River a secondary source. I did not invent it. Maybe knowing a Federal agency stated it will help you accept it.

That was 10-20 years ago. I haven't seen any report that identifies a "demotion" of Hartford/Springfield and "promotion" of Providence/Fall River. If you have a Federal agency report that now says otherwise, provide it. Even so, that would be recent, not "long known".

It is a faster drive from New London to Hartford than it is from New London to Providence.

As far as I know, opium poppies aren't grown in NYC. From those reports, nearly all Heroin reaching the US these days started as poppies in Mexico and Colombia. Heroin enters this country through a variety of ports. NYC is but one entry point and network redundancy is likely in the case of grid failure at any particular node. From "points south" might capture it better, but even that isn't guaranteed. And clearly, if the Feds knew full well how the stuff was coming in to the country and by what routes it traveled, they'd be doing a better job of stopping it.

Finally, also from those reports, there's cross pollination between metro areas. Source becomes Market, and vice versa. You make it out like there's exclusive jurisdiction over an area.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
In my estimation, all of RI and CT are Southern New England. And let's say MA, below the Pike. Maybe the east/west divide at 91.
Yes. Though the immediate CT suburbs around NYC may also be viewed as "tri-state area".

Old 01-29-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
The report you cited calls Hartford/Springfield a primary source, Providence/Fall River a secondary source. I did not invent it. Maybe knowing a Federal agency stated it will help you accept it.

That was 10-20 years ago. I haven't seen any report that identifies a "demotion" of Hartford/Springfield and "promotion" of Providence/Fall River. If you have a Federal agency report that now says otherwise, provide it. Even so, that would be recent, not "long known".

It is a faster drive from New London to Hartford than it is from New London to Providence.

As far as I know, opium poppies aren't grown in NYC. From those reports, nearly all Heroin reaching the US these days started as poppies in Mexico and Colombia. Heroin enters this country through a variety of ports. NYC is but one entry point and network redundancy is likely in the case of grid failure at any particular node. From "points south" might capture it better, but even that isn't guaranteed. And clearly, if the Feds knew full well how the stuff was coming in to the country and by what routes it traveled, they'd be doing a better job of stopping it.

Finally, also from those reports, there's cross pollination between metro areas. Source becomes Market, and vice versa. You make it out like there's exclusive jurisdiction over an area.
I can read very well thank you, it's the definition of "secondary" you are taking out of context. It's saying that Hartford/Springfield and Lawrence are the two larger ones for the whole New England region, not that they dominate over Providence even in its own territory. While of course there will always be cross-pollination, heroin purchased in Taunton is far more likely to come from Providence than Hartford. And pretty much all heroin coming into NE is via. NYC (Bronx sometimes Brooklyn), obviously the opium poppies aren't grown there. Fentanyl come from China, btw.

And did you not read the story I posted about the Providence-New London trade?

Old 01-29-2021, 01:31 PM

Three arrested by Randolph Police for fentanyl trafficking

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/...ce/4300689001/

RANDOLPH — Nearly a pound of fentanyl was seized in Randolph and three men have been arrested on drug trafficking charges, police said.

Anyelo Medina-Jimenez, 34, of Providence, R.I.; Julio Carpio-Jimenez, 30, of Meriden, Conn.; and Juan Franjul Castillo of the Dominican Republic, were all charged in trafficking in more than 200 grams of fentanyl.

As a result of a search warrant, police say they seized approximately 450 grams of fentanyl packaged individually for sale, $5,850, multiple cellphones and various … Show more narcotics-related packaging materials on Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2021. Show less
Randolph Police Department

Castillo was also charged with trafficking in more than 10 grams of fentanyl.

Old 01-31-2021, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Three arrested by Randolph Police for fentanyl trafficking

https://www.patriotledger.com/story/...ce/4300689001/

RANDOLPH — Nearly a pound of fentanyl was seized in Randolph and three men have been arrested on drug trafficking charges, police said.

Anyelo Medina-Jimenez, 34, of Providence, R.I.; Julio Carpio-Jimenez, 30, of Meriden, Conn.; and Juan Franjul Castillo of the Dominican Republic, were all charged in trafficking in more than 200 grams of fentanyl.
If you're trying substantiate your point that the Providence metro area is "responsible" for drug supply in Randolph, MA, you kind of shot yourself in the foot by posting a story where the other suspects involved are from the Hartford Metro area and the Dominican Republic.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:27 AM

Quote:
It's saying that Hartford/Springfield and Lawrence are the two larger ones for the whole New England region, not that they dominate over Providence even in its own territory. While of course there will always be cross-pollination, heroin purchased in Taunton is far more likely to come from Providence than Hartford. And pretty much all heroin coming into NE is via. NYC (Bronx sometimes Brooklyn), obviously the opium poppies aren't grown there. Fentanyl come from China, btw.
Don't put words in my mouth. What I have disputed all along is this little gem of yours:

Quote:
It's already been discussed here how Providence is the main source city for drugs (heroin/fentanyl in particular) in Southern NE, just as Lawrence is for Northern NE.
which you repeated:
Quote:
You have Providence supplying Southern NE, and Lawrence supplying Northern NE. Meanwhile, there is a certain big city in between that you would expect to play a much bigger role in the region. It really doesn't. Not sure if the reason is more effective law enforcement there or being harder to stay off the radar, or what.
In a puzzling error of omission, you conveniently left out metro Hartford, in spite of the fact the Feds have cited it as being of greater importance than metro Providence in the heroin trade.

And if I may encourage you to borrow your own logic for a moment, since you only seem to listen to yourself, what makes you think Providence metro dealers dominate in metro Hartford or the rest of Connecticut, that largest population group of Southern New England? A beat writer's story about a New London - Providence connection?

Re-imagining geographical terms, posting endless cherry picked stories, moving the goals posts; these are your evasive maneuvers. If you can't be honest enough to acknowledge that you just might not have the dynamics of the heroin trade in southern New England completely right, then what is the point in having a discussion with you?

I'll be waiting anxiously for your Providence parking ticket thread. When you make your map, use a logical scheme for the marker colors and explain it accurately so we don't have to poke and probe. By date? By value of the car? By city of residence? Which marker color is for orange and black plates again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
What you have to understand is that the two posters who post about these things in this forum are not interested in any rational thought or discussion.
You said it, Holly.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:09 AM

Quote:
If you're trying substantiate your point that the Providence metro area is "responsible" for drug supply in Randolph, MA, you kind of shot yourself in the foot by posting a story where the other suspects involved are from the Hartford Metro area and the Dominican Republic.
I did not shoot myself in the foot.

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth. What I have disputed all along is this little gem of yours:

which you repeated:

In a puzzling error of omission, you conveniently left out metro Hartford, in spite of the fact the Feds have cited it as being of greater importance than metro Providence in the heroin trade.

And if I may encourage you to borrow your own logic for a moment, since you only seem to listen to yourself, what makes you think Providence metro dealers dominate in metro Hartford or the rest of Connecticut, that largest population group of Southern New England? A beat writer's story about a New London - Providence connection?

It is you putting words in my mouth. I never said Providence is bigger than Hartford, or that Providence dealers dominate Western CT/NE.

Quote:
Re-imagining geographical terms, posting endless cherry picked stories, moving the goals posts; these are your evasive maneuvers. If you can't be honest enough to acknowledge that you just might not have the dynamics of the heroin trade in southern New England completely right, then what is the point in having a discussion with you?

You said it, Holly.
Again "I" am not the one moving the goal posts, and unlike yourself at least I have some substance to back up what I'm saying. But I will give you credit for actually sticking to the topic and trying to debate it (despite being wrong as usual), others here won't even attempt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.