Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 02:23 PM

8,029 posts, read 4,718,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
So any time travelers looking for houses in Central Falls or the Chad Brown projects, beware!
I know. The absurdity of it. But, Holly may be onto something. Seriously. Things may not be what they seem.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:10 PM

23,698 posts, read 18,806,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Interesting post. The US is the world's largest illicit drug market by usage rate, or by cash market value?

Oregon has recently taken a step toward the Portugal approach, as the voters there decriminalized small amounts of illicit drugs by voter referendum. It will be interesting to see if they see any improvement.

This American Addition Center link (using data sourced from City-Data) suggests that among cities nationwide, Providence seems to be somewhere in the middle of the pack when it comes to illicit drug use. We don't appear anywhere in their "worst of" lists, as we would if we warranted it. But you wouldn't know it from the constant drumbeat in this forum exaggerating the problem.

ormari, I think you need to go back and read the title of this thread again. This is about the DRUG TRADE in Providence, a totally different topic than ILLICIT DRUG USE. TOTALLY different. You understand that, right?

It's already been discussed here how Providence is the main source city for drugs (heroin/fentanyl in particular) in Southern NE, just as Lawrence is for Northern NE. That feeds much of the local crime and gang activity, which I believe has been a significant concern of yours. Hopefully the new badly needed DEA office can get a grip on that, time will tell I guess.

But while you are on that other topic, I don't see how Oregon's new law will have any effect on that. It will make zero dent in the black market, which is what fuels most of the criminal activity around it. And it's certainly not a good strategy as far as attracting the "best and brightest" to that state. Yes it will be interesting to see how it pans out, but only from AFAR. Wouldn't advise one to buy a house in Portland right now, that's for sure.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:39 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,717,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
So any time travelers looking for houses in Central Falls or the Chad Brown projects, beware!
Don't be silly, MP. Any life-form advanced enough to be in possession of a time machine wouldn't bother coming to this forum to probe the gray matter of the dynamic duo.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:20 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,717,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
ormari, I think you need to go back and read the title of this thread again. This is about the DRUG TRADE in Providence, a totally different topic than ILLICIT DRUG USE. TOTALLY different. You understand that, right?
Really, no connection between illicit drug use and the drug trade? You mean they just trade them like baseball cards? Nobody uses them? And collecting them is popular all over southern New England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's already been discussed here how Providence is the main source city for drugs (heroin/fentanyl in particular) in Southern NE, just as Lawrence is for Northern NE. That feeds much of the local crime and gang activity, which I believe has been a significant concern of yours. Hopefully the new badly needed DEA office can get a grip on that, time will tell I guess.
You've made the claim that Providence is "the main source city for... Southern NE" but didn't have all that much to back it up. Maybe you could make a map of known/busted heroin milling operations. Make sure you include Connecticut and Mass.

If heroin/fentanyl is coming up from NYC, that suggests it's just passing through intermediaries here. That Maine bust you cited in your first post was too large of a quantity to have been "milled" in Providence. Bulk amounts like those in your Maine story are moved between NY and New England states in cars, in concealed compartments, and once it is packaged for street distribution, it must take up much more space, creating greater risk of detection.

It stands to reason that heroin gets milled not far from the area where it is used.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:09 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,024,941 times
Quote:
Really, no connection between illicit drug use and the drug trade? You mean they just trade them like baseball cards? Nobody uses them? And collecting them is popular all over southern New England?

As soon as you think right wingers lack of any reasoning ability can't get any worse... they come up with some new jaw droppers!

LOL!

I get my moron fill reading their so called "media", so I don't need this garbage anymore, but if you wondered who buys into the so called "conservative news", you found em!

Old 12-14-2020, 04:53 PM

4,231 posts, read 1,686,187 times
How about left wingers who dodge freeway traffic in "protest" and mail leaf blowers to Washington? Pot, meet kettle. And just when you thought the Left couldn't get any Loonier.

Last edited by PureBoston; 12-14-2020 at 05:13 PM..

Old 12-14-2020, 05:24 PM

17,839 posts, read 9,269,546 times
Quote:
You've made the claim that Providence is "the main source city for... Southern NE" but didn't have all that much to back it up. Maybe you could make a map of known/busted heroin milling operations. Make sure you include Connecticut and Mass.

If heroin/fentanyl is coming up from NYC, that suggests it's just passing through intermediaries here. That Maine bust you cited in your first post was too large of a quantity to have been "milled" in Providence. Bulk amounts like those in your Maine story are moved between NY and New England states in cars, in concealed compartments, and once it is packaged for street distribution, it must take up much more space, creating greater risk of detection.

It stands to reason that heroin gets milled not far from the area where it is used.

You'd think but that's very often not how it works.

You seem to be under the impression that protecting the product and the runner is the main goal. It's not.

You also seem to be under the impression that everybody involved knows each other and there is a distribution plan in place from the top to the bottom. That is not reality. At each level, the people above are shielded.

For example, let's say it goes from NY to Providence, gets milled in Providence, and then goes to NH. Why didn't it just go from NY to NH and get milled in NH? Because NH doesn't know NY. NH only knows Providence. If NH knew NY, then Providence wouldn't be necessary.

You could even have a scenario where it goes from NY to Providence, gets milled in Providence, and ends up back in NY. Why? Because lower level NY doesn't know higher level NY. And Providence certainly isn't introducing them.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Not in the scope that I am talking about. Not at all. Of course the drug trade wouldn't exist without users, but the outcome each has on their communities is DRASTICALLY different. Totally apples and oranges. There are lots of illicit drug users everywhere, including Maine. Yet, even though most of the runners from states south drive up there to push their product (which NO btw. is NOT milled locally); we here do not typically experience shootouts between rival gangbangers over turf like you do in South Providence. They keep as low a profile as possible, and get in and out as quickly and quietly as they can.

Quote:

^See redplum's explanation above, which is pretty spot on. How you might imagine things "should work" does just not jibe with reality on the ground.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:33 PM

4,429 posts, read 3,213,612 times
Quote:

You've made the claim that Providence is "the main source city for... Southern NE" but didn't have all that much to back it up. Maybe you could make a map of known/busted heroin milling operations. Make sure you include Connecticut and Mass..
I dunno, even if true, I see nothing particularly remarkable that the main source city for Southern New England is....wait for it ...the main city in Southern New England. I think the pattern would be true most anywhere in the US. Now if he said it was New Shoreham, that would be an interesting stat!

Old 12-14-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I dunno, even if true, I see nothing particularly remarkable that the main source city for Southern New England is....wait for it ...the main city in Southern New England. I think the pattern would be true most anywhere in the US. Now if he said it was New Shoreham, that would be an interesting stat!

You have Providence supplying Southern NE, and Lawrence supplying Northern NE. Meanwhile, there is a certain big city in between that you would expect to play a much bigger role in the region. It really doesn't. Not sure if the reason is more effective law enforcement there or being harder to stay off the radar, or what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island