Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2020, 10:23 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,712,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Good points, plus the possibility of flood insurance. Also, if they have owned their house for over a decade, most places that would equal lower property taxes, as opposed to buying something at current prices.

When we looked at moving to the Seattle area, the property taxes were so much more than Hawaii that it wiped out any savings in other areas.
Seattle taxes were more than Hawaii taxes? I never would have imagined that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
OMG! The mold in FL is so bad. I smelled it the minute I got off the plane there because the carpet in the jetway was moldy. I can smell mildew from like 10 feet away, so I was gagging on the smell the whole time I was there. Every building/home/restaurant I went in that was carpeted smelled so awful.

I agree about just visiting the kids and grands. Lots of people do it. There are budget airlines to most cities in FL. Unless you are planning on babysitting them on a daily basis, two to four 2 week trips per year should suffice. Think of all the cost of moving that you will save, and that can pay for the airfare.
That's why the hotels and airport smell weird? I went to Orlando for a tradeshow a few years ago and couldn't figure out why the airport and hotel had an odd odor. It was the same odor so it didn't make any sense. My allergies were nuts the entire time I was there. And the headaches. OMG. This explains it all!

Old 09-05-2020, 10:44 AM

48,709 posts, read 35,196,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Seattle taxes were more than Hawaii taxes? I never would have imagined that.
Hawaii has the nation's lowest property tax rate.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-05-2020, 10:55 AM

37,646 posts, read 61,735,816 times
Quote:
I did a quick google. It would appear to me that Honolulu's milrate is 3.5

I am paying a milrate of 0.08

Old 09-05-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I did a quick google. It would appear to me that Honolulu's milrate is 3.5

I am paying a milrate of 0.08
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

Old 09-05-2020, 11:08 AM

1,131 posts, read 391,820 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter much when the homes cost so much. I often re-visit the Zillow on the we rented back in the 70's middle Oahu, crowded community, no view, homes very tight together $660,000 Zillow estimate for a home that you could buy in FL for less than $100k.

You get a lot for your real estate $ in FL, imo. (sorry to interrupt the FL bashing thread - posts by people who don't even live in the state, lol).

Old 09-05-2020, 11:10 AM

1,131 posts, read 391,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That's why the hotels and airport smell weird? I went to Orlando for a tradeshow a few years ago and couldn't figure out why the airport and hotel had an odd odor. It was the same odor so it didn't make any sense. My allergies were nuts the entire time I was there. And the headaches. OMG. This explains it all!
Probably not the best place for sickly people, I guess. I've never noticed this.

Most outsiders who come here are grossly dehydrated and have headaches because they're not acclimated. Perhaps that was your problem?

Old 09-05-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
Doesn't matter much when the homes cost so much. I often re-visit the Zillow on the we rented back in the 70's middle Oahu, crowded community, no view, homes very tight together $660,000 Zillow estimate for a home that you could buy in FL for less than $100k.

You get a lot for your real estate $ in FL, imo.

To YOU it doesn't matter. As it applied to the conversation I had with the poster, it is an accurate statement.

Hawaii is not just Oahu, it is also all the other islands.

Essentially Oahu, is the San Fran of Hawaii (or NYC, DC, etc.), and those prices do not apply to the whole state.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:17 AM

37,646 posts, read 61,735,816 times
Quote:
In my quick googling I came across that statement myself, a few times. Kind of funny how 3.5 is so much lower than 0.08

I totally agree that many websites make the claim that Hawaii's property taxes are the lowest in the nation.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingItEasy View Post
Probably not the best place for sickly people, I guess. I've never noticed this.

Most outsiders who come here are grossly dehydrated and have headaches because they're not acclimated. Perhaps that was your problem?
Sickly? No not at all! It's called allergies. Nope not dehydrated. I'm from the Northeast and very used to humidity. Allergies are frequently the cause of headaches. The pressure builds in your sinuses from all of the inflammation which causes headaches. If you haven't been blessed with several allergies, consider yourself lucky. I'm supposed to be getting allergy shots. That's how bad my allergies are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement