Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2020, 02:26 PM

43,336 posts, read 18,453,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I found the humidity unbearable in Florida starting with the last week of March, and found even the first week of April way too humid to enjoy being outside.

And the last thing I want to do is live in air conditioning all the time or a huge part of the year,
That seems to be the big determinant for many coastal locations.

I'm in SC. In the morning the temps may be 78-80 but the humidity is usually over 90%(I'm close to the ocean).
Right now (4:24pm the temp is 86 with 78% humidity).

I don't mind it at all as I love the hot weather and I do not stay inside all day but do stay in the shade in the afternoons.

I hear lots of folks complain about the humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 02:34 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,220,773 times
I couldn't live in Florida for all the money in the world. As other have said, the humidity is unbearable for me physically and mentally. Humidity in NY is bad in summer , but we get the reprieve of the change in seasons which I love.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:36 PM

863 posts, read 797,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That seems to be the big determinant for many coastal locations.

I'm in SC. In the morning the temps may be 78-80 but the humidity is usually over 90%(I'm close to the ocean).
Right now (4:24pm the temp is 86 with 78% humidity).

I don't mind it at all as I love the hot weather and I do not stay inside all day but do stay in the shade in the afternoons.

I hear lots of folks complain about the humidity.
We are in Columbia and it's even worse. Higher temps, slightly lower humidity without the benefit of the ocean breezes.

We finally settled on Florida, for lot's of reasons and are moving in 2 months. For us, the tax situation was a huge factor. People that say SC is low on taxes are either fooling themselves or in a different situation than we are.

It's great that we are all different, and if Florida is so bad, why do 21 million people live there and more moving there every day? Must have something going for it.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:39 PM

43,336 posts, read 18,453,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
We are in Columbia and it's even worse. Higher temps, slightly lower humidity without the benefit of the ocean breezes.

We finally settled on Florida, for lot's of reasons and are moving in 2 months. For us, the tax situation was a huge factor. People that say SC is low on taxes are either fooling themselves or in a different situation than we are.

It's great that we are all different, and if Florida is so bad, why do 21 million people live there and more moving there every day? Must have something going for it.
I lived in south Florida for over 20 years (Miami Beach area up through Pompano Beach).
My job transferred me to Texas and I decided to try SC this time round for a beach town.

I find the SC taxes more than reasonable. I came from Texas where they kill you on property tax.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:09 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,073,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Must have something going for it.

Um..It's not Ohio, or Illinois or...LOL definitely different strokes for different folks. I left Ohio river valley, humid and horrible snow for Hawaii to CA for better work and half and half now to enjoy Honolulu winter and glorious Bay Area summers!

Old 09-01-2020, 03:39 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,883,244 times
Anywhere warm works for me. FL, socal, whatever. Hot is so much better than cold.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:23 PM

140 posts, read 143,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
Obviously OP's situation has nothing to do with what state or city to move to. It all has to do with the grandchildren. It amazes me how some grandmother's make their life decisions on the grandchildren. Had a friend do that when they retired. Moved to a state where they never would have moved to where son, DIL and grands were. Mind you, they knew that the DIL hated them. They moved, Son and DIL wanted nothing to do with them, and moved away. Sad.

As far as Florida, I retired and now live in Naples Florida. It is the most horrible place! Hurricanes, bugs, you name it. LOL And don't forget about Hurricane Irma. Went right through my community. Somehow we survived.
Daughters and grandkids live in FL. Our original reason for consideration was a friend and former co-worker who worked and lived in FL six months and one day a year. Once we went to teleworking, he worked from home 100% of the time. He loved FL and felt that it was much less expensive than living in CA. He told us that we should check it out. That was two years before my daughters moved there. Our current governor is a joke. If Californians vote out Proposition 13 this time around, our property taxes will double.

Would not follow my kids just for the idea of that. My daughters and I have lots of fun and enjoy being together. Grands are doing there own thing. My daughter and I stayed in Naples end of May/beginning of June, while we went shelling at Sanibel/Naples beaches. Was nice until the protestors came walking up the sidewalks and we were diverted by the police to another street.

Again, my husband's chief concerns are hurricanes and the humidity.

Best,

Reddog53

Old 09-01-2020, 04:31 PM

140 posts, read 143,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Sounds like the OP has plenty of dough, so why not keep the Tehachapi place and rent a condo for awhile in FL? Plenty of property managers for that. Keep the options open!

My dad moved us to MN when my mom was suffering depression at missing HER siblings. But, he kept the Orange county, CA house and put his parents in it. Not even a year went by, and back we came. He sure was glad he hadn't sold his just-built dream home in CA. No one could handle MN after being in CA for 20 years.

Tehachapi is great. We toured the vineyards a few years back and looked at property there. $100,000 for 10 acres up on a hill. Oops....no water available.
As far as plenty of dough, ummmm....no. We were/are contractors in the aerospace industry. No TSP/pensions/benefits as civil servants receive after requisite number of years are completed.

I think that it is perhaps a good idea to keep the Tehachapi place and rent a condo for a bit. This is my suggestion to my husband. I suggested we get a gardener and have our neighbor, who lives in a very tiny home with no functional heat/ac, to keep an eye on the house for us while we are gone. We have a deep well that, so far, has provided us with lots of water.

Best,

Reddog53

Old 09-01-2020, 04:33 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,451,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog53 View Post
Good evening,

I retired in April 2020 at FRA of 66. My husband will be able to retire at FRA in 2 years. We have talked about moving to Florida from our current home in Tehachapi, CA. We love Tehachapi for the peaceful atmosphere and four seasons, but are tired of the taxes and crazy rules in CA. My daughters and families live in Fl, one in Indialantic and one in West Melborne, and my son and family in CA.

We have talked about moving for FL for two years and now my husband is balking due to risk of hurricanes, humidity, and close neighbors. We live on 1.4 acres and do not have neighbors. I would like to be close to my kids and grandkids and start pulling out of my 401k in a state with no state taxes.

This has become quite a bone of contention. Your thoughts on resolving a conflict in retirement plans and on retiring in FL are very much appreciated.

Best,

Reddog53
Regarding state taxes, can you set up a virtual address in FL as your permanent address, then just have mail forwarded to where you will be?

Old 09-01-2020, 04:41 PM

3,265 posts, read 5,016,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Regarding state taxes, can you set up a virtual address in FL as your permanent address, then just have mail forwarded to where you will be?
You can be sure that California will be looking very closely at this change of address -- they don't want to lose whatever taxes you are currently paying to that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement