Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 02:58 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,966,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
You have more faith in the government than I do. This isn’t my role, I’m too far removed. I have made her next of kin aware of my concerns as well as providing extensive pictures of the inside of her apartment. This is a family affair as I see it. My main concern is for my friend, the neighbor, and he not end up having to decide the fate of her pet when the time comes. I can’t image a kennel would take it without up front payment and he’s in no position to do that.
He can call a rescue organization... they may be willing to take the dog for a temporary situattion, or find the dog a new home. You can search for rescue orgs in your area on PetFinder.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 03:00 PM

130,511 posts, read 12,138,084 times
If she can't look after the animal, then she should surrender it to a rescue. I do think APS needs to be called, she may have been competent before, but things change.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:08 PM

344 posts, read 417,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
He can call a rescue organization... they may be willing to take the dog for a temporary situattion, or find the dog a new home. You can search for rescue orgs in your area on PetFinder.com
I have emailed a local rescue org and explained the situation to them and asked for suggestions

Old 12-29-2019, 03:11 PM

344 posts, read 417,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If she can't look after the animal, then she should surrender it to a rescue. I do think APS needs to be called, she may have been competent before, but things change.
She was able to care for it ok (except for the poop part i already explained!) as recently as Friday morning. It will depend what happened to her and how she comes out of it as to what the future holds.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:17 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,072,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
warning. I am hard as nails.

Tell her when (if) she comes home that you all will not be "helping" her anymore unless she makes an effort to help herself. This includes help with dog. Stick to it.

I had a neighbor who only wanted help on her terms. I finally told her I was done. I realized that she was embarrassed and hadn't told her family that I was no longer getting her groceries, etc, etc, so when I spoke to a niece by chance in the grocery, I told her. She was surprised but let the family know and they took up the slack.

My friend/neighbor is still my friend. She is 90something, gets her groceries delivered and family visits more often.

Time to let your neighbor sink or swim and stick to it or things will never change.... and that includes making arrangements for her pet in all but short term in the direst emergencies. Second day, I would board the dog and let family know where he is.

I realize I didn't address your question about "what happens to the pet". I called EMT services when I moved to a new area and they advised me to leave contact information in an easy to find place. Mine is in a well marked envelope on the coffee table. When family/whoever is called, they should make arrangements for pet
Great tip as I have a 6 year old yorkie and would want my sister contacted to come and pick Ripley up.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
This would certainly be an option but one I’m unwilling to take. And I suspect everyone that’s helping and enabling is unwilling to take also. Even the apartment complex is turning a blind eye. The niece now knows more than she did. Hopefully she will step forward and do the right thing as she sees it for her family. When she “broke herself out of the assisted living facility” they called some agency that sent out a social worker to assess her abilities. That was two years ago and they deemed her fit.
Just my opinion. Call the niece again and tell her she needs to call social services. You can be helpful by researching the organizations available in your area and giving her the phone numbers. She may not be aware that there are services available that can help (without her having to make the trip to your area).

Sounds like this ex-neighbor of yours wouldn't be able to "break out" of an assisted living facility anymore... if all she can do is walk to the next door neighbor's front door.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
You would be surprised - yes - the freedom to do what they want to do. And if that means she doesn't want anyone but one certain person to come see her and that certain person is not available - too bad so sad.

Social worker told us we could not force my mother to do anything she didn't want to do since she was in her right mind. They will not even tie them in bed so they won't get out and fall.

Either you stay by their side 24/7, they put them on a low bed or place padded mats all around.

So we stayed with her. Later they had the mats until she was stable.

A human being still has rights.

My brother was having a terrible episode at the house. Called EMS - he wouldn't go with them. And they said they couldn't force him to go. After about an HOUR he finally went.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Oh. You mean the freedom to die on the bathroom floor in a pool of her own waste. As you pointed out, the neighbor is often gone for a week at a time. That ought to be just about enough time to expire from dehydration.

Clearly no one should do anything to prevent that.
I don't think dementia should be the only criteria for "forcing" someone to move to a more suitable situation where they can be looked after. How about the sheer stubbornness that seems to afflict some people when they reach old age, or mobility issues, or inability to cook, take a shower or get up off the toilet.

Surely there are more/other criteria than dementia that would allow social services to take action. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Maybe a sign should be placed by the front door informing that there is a pet living there with the contact information of a pet sitter in case of an emergency.
Emergency information (who to notify, who to call for the pet) should be on the refrigerator... EMTs generally look there for a DNR and so would notice a clearly labeled Emergency card.

Old 12-29-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
First of all fluffy when I worked in Wisconsin you could not force a adult to do anything. I have seen people live in filth and not really be able to care for themselves. It was worth it to some people and I never understood it. Now that I am older I do understand. Living in a facility would be hell.
I am also older and I still do not understand this ridiculous stubbornness. Perhaps you have never seen one of the nicer assisted living facilities.

Added: You have your own little apartment. You have your meals prepared and served to you. They clean your place, they have activities so you can maintain some kind of social life, they do your laundry, they have groups come in to entertain. What's not to like?

Old 12-29-2019, 03:51 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,285,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I am also older and I still do not understand this ridiculous stubbornness. Perhaps you have never seen one of the nicer assisted living facilities.

Added: You have your own little apartment. You have your meals prepared and served to you. They clean your place, they have activities so you can maintain some kind of social life, they do your laundry, they have groups come in to entertain. What's not to like?
It might not be the surroundings, but the thought that you are NOW old and are a member of the old folks club

I remember going on a trip with a senior group. I was the youngest - mid 50s or so. I thought no way would i want to hang out with these people forever! I didn't see myself as one of them.

When i go visit my sibling in his new residence, I feel the same way. And it is a very nice place.

I thought i would be able to do that, but as time goes on - I don't know. It is scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement