Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 02:21 PM

7,508 posts, read 6,331,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
That! Forced bingo and sixth grade choir nothing I would look forward to. Just leave a loaded pistol on nightstand.....
Sometime that works, my 90 year old neighbor’s daughter tried that route and it didn’t work. Saddest man man I haver ever seen. Plus it makes a mess for someone to clean up.

Last edited by Southern man; 12-30-2019 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 02:43 PM

37,834 posts, read 46,419,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
LOL, I’m not sure anyone here is looking for the product. My only point was it’s very very common for elderly people to have incontinence. And it’s also very very common for not to be taken care of because they live alone Or because there aren’t enough staff to deal with all of the people that need care. It happens. It happens to people that live alone and people that live in nursing homes. It’s life.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:54 PM

344 posts, read 419,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Early in this thread the OP mentioned that she was in the hospital for observation. When a hospital says someone is in for observation, not actually admitted, they are billed under Part B, often very large amounts. And they do not get post hospital services.

This is a new Medicare policy and someone needs to get the hospital to actually admit her ASAP so this doesn't happen to her.
I was in the emergency room with her when a woman rolled in a computer and said she was there to “admit” my friend. She used the word admit over and over again. I specifically asked her for confirmation and asked was she being “admitted” or held for observation. And was told she was being held for a 24 hour observation. I don’t know the intricacies of the difference between the two or if I could or should have done anything else but the word admitted was flung around the whole time and if you’re the patient on the bed all freaked out it’s hard to see how you would know the difference.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:19 PM

344 posts, read 419,566 times
Update. Dog is doing good. Good neighbor is social extrovert and has taken to roaming the neighborhood with the dog chatting people up. Says one neighbor volunteered an interest in taking her in so good neighbor might be able and willing to help her find a new home should it become necessary.

Good neighbor and I went to the hospital for a visit this morning. She is doing better but will need to stay at least one more night. We weren’t there 5 minutes when case manager/social worker showed up. (We would later learn that first responders noted concern about her living conditions in their report and that the ER doctor had ordered the involvement of the social worker). We waited in the hall while social worker spoke to her. When she came out we spent quite a bit of time with her giving her our perspective. From what I could tell the doctor’s order will mean any services she can get will be expedited. She told us our neighbor would be released but that people would be out to check out her living conditions fairly soon.

Strange development with niece. It was the niece after my phone call with her who requested I send photos. I know for a fact the niece discussed these photos with her and only after that discussion did she start telling everyone how overburdened the niece is with her own life problems. I think she is now afraid of the niece as she had her removed as a contact from the hospital and was adamant that nobody was to contact her. Good neighbor is her only listed contact now. But she is in the system and on other people’s radar and Good neighbor and I don’t feel like we are the ones who ratted her out.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:43 PM

19,962 posts, read 12,252,700 times
I’m glad to see she will be getting the help she truly needs.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:53 PM

17,436 posts, read 11,461,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
Update. Dog is doing good. Good neighbor is social extrovert and has taken to roaming the neighborhood with the dog chatting people up. Says one neighbor volunteered an interest in taking her in so good neighbor might be able and willing to help her find a new home should it become necessary.

Good neighbor and I went to the hospital for a visit this morning. She is doing better but will need to stay at least one more night. We weren’t there 5 minutes when case manager/social worker showed up. (We would later learn that first responders noted concern about her living conditions in their report and that the ER doctor had ordered the involvement of the social worker). We waited in the hall while social worker spoke to her. When she came out we spent quite a bit of time with her giving her our perspective. From what I could tell the doctor’s order will mean any services she can get will be expedited. She told us our neighbor would be released but that people would be out to check out her living conditions fairly soon.

Strange development with niece. It was the niece after my phone call with her who requested I send photos. I know for a fact the niece discussed these photos with her and only after that discussion did she start telling everyone how overburdened the niece is with her own life problems. I think she is now afraid of the niece as she had her removed as a contact from the hospital and was adamant that nobody was to contact her. Good neighbor is her only listed contact now. But she is in the system and on other people’s radar and Good neighbor and I don’t feel like we are the ones who ratted her out.
Sounds like good progress. I hope it continues.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:15 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,629,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

My only point was it’s very very common for elderly people to have incontinence. And it’s also very very common for not to be taken care of because they live alone Or because there aren’t enough staff to deal with all of the people that need care. It happens. It happens to people that live alone and people that live in nursing homes. It’s life.
It's not just the 'elderly'. Overactive bladder and extreme loss of bladder control happens to women in their 60's, 70's, and 80's onward, sometimes 50's - due to the natural dropping/falling of the pelvic floor, and for some, due to past pregnancies. Overactive bladder and extreme loss of bladder control is quite common - and not just among the 'elderly'.

Lots of people are not aware that this has happened to people they know or women, in general.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:29 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,028,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
That! Forced bingo and sixth grade choir nothing I would look forward to. Just leave a loaded pistol on nightstand.....
Do you really want to leave your dead body, with blood and brains splattered all over the wall and floors for someone else to clean up??????

If you really want to die, do it cleanly. Stop taking all pills and stop eating and drinking for a week. That's all it will take. And no blood splatter.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:33 PM

7,461 posts, read 4,803,137 times
Thanks for the update. Hopefully if her mind is fine that she can get some in home help which she really needs. Great that you have a potential home for the dog if needed.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:12 PM

21,098 posts, read 13,698,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Do you really want to leave your dead body, with blood and brains splattered all over the wall and floors for someone else to clean up??????

If you really want to die, do it cleanly. Stop taking all pills and stop eating and drinking for a week. That's all it will take. And no blood splatter.
There are services to clean it up. I was looking something else up and read about one near me. They have hazmet stuff. For people who work in certain professions, it's nothing new to them. It's one of the few good choices for the person experiencing the death, which is more important.

I wouldn't do it because I am sure I'd end up brain damaged or paralyzed instead of dead. That would be my luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement