Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 02:11 PM

344 posts, read 417,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I am intrigued by the idea that a former neighbor who has not seen or spoken to this woman in quite some time -- as well as another forum poster who is even further removed than that -- is somehow utterly certain she doesn't have dementia.

I doubt this would pass the smell test in the Caregiving Forum.
I was in the emergency room with her right after she got there, I spoke with her niece afterwards. I brought back her phone charger and some clothes and spent an hour with her after she was checked in and spoke to her on the phone for half an hour last night. But you’re right I’m not qualified to assess her mental condition and I have taken deliberate steps to avoid her considering me a caregiver of any sort. She is an old neighbor I remained friendly with as well as the other neighbor who I am in more frequent contact with. What doesn’t pass the smell test to me is your aggressive insistence that I am responsible for reporting her to the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 02:21 PM

7,182 posts, read 4,585,399 times
You are not incompetent unless you don’t know simple things like the year and who the president is. It’s a really low bar.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:25 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,416,735 times
Maybe a sign should be placed by the front door informing that there is a pet living there with the contact information of a pet sitter in case of an emergency.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 6,461,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Ditto.

Regarding pet animals of people who live alone. I believe that if the ambulance workers realize that there is an unsupervised pet, they call the police and/or animal control to remove the animal to the pound. At least that is what happened in my old city.

However, the ambulance workers told me that they are concentrating on wellbeing of the person and unless the pet is very, very obvious to them (such as barking or laying by the injured person) they will not look for an animal so pets are often just left in the house or yard when they leave.
I agree with the EMT's leaving animals in the house when transporting the patient. When I had my heart attack last year it was in the middle of the night. The entrance of the ambulance workers into the house frightened the 5 cats so much that they entirely disappeared from view. I was conscious enough to tell the EMTs to call my cat sitter (I had her card in my wallet) to take care of them. The hardest thing about moving was arranging for new pet sitters, which I did, but I think I'm going to have to do again as they're changing their policies to not be so "spontaneous" in scheduling.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:28 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,294,429 times
Main reason i am not replacing any of my pets as they cross the bridge. I don't want to worry about them.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,598,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Maybe a sign should be placed by the front door informing that there is a pet living there with the contact information of a pet sitter in case of an emergency.
She doesn't have a pet sitter. Someone would have to pay one.

I live alone. I'm glad they just left my dog inside because a friend came to get her.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:35 PM

17,647 posts, read 22,673,325 times
If the lady had a cane or a walker, she could probably get up off the toilet easier.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
If the lady had a cane or a walker, she could probably get up off the toilet easier.
Rails, but how does that work in an apartment?

Old 12-29-2019, 02:47 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,416,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
She doesn't have a pet sitter. Someone would have to pay one.

I live alone. I'm glad they just left my dog inside because a friend came to get her.
She doesn't have a pet sitter now, but she should make arrangements, especially now with this latest episode, to have someone that can come and take care of her pet in the event of an emergency. Whether that is a pet sitter, a neighbor, a rescue, etc... otherwise the pet could possibly die at home alone.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
She doesn't have a pet sitter now, but she should make arrangements, especially now with this latest episode, to have someone that can come and take care of her pet in the event of an emergency. Whether that is a pet sitter, a neighbor, a rescue, etc... otherwise the pet could possibly die at home alone.
It's clear she isn't going to do something like that. She relies on the neighbor. She even relies on the neighbor that doesn't live there anymore. Plus, pet sitting is expensive. OP said she has little money. I like the idea of compassionate rescue people agreeing to foster. There are people passionate not just about the doggos, but about seniors being helped to keep the companionship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement