Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:54 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,408,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
*heavy sigh* Your sarcasm detector is broken. That was my point entirely. Forgive me for attempting humor. Geeze.

I got it Balvenie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,408,688 times
I don't support prayer in public school whether it be organized or unorganized! hee hee!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,677,862 times
Quote:
*heavy sigh* Your sarcasm detector is broken. That was my point entirely. Forgive me for attempting humor. Geeze.

And I'm not being sarcastic about it either, it is merely a suggestion, sometimes it's best to know what you are talking about before making such a statement. Although I think you could improve on the humor a little bit..

Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM

310 posts, read 590,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
And I'm not being sarcastic about it either, it is merely a suggestion, sometimes it's best to know what you are talking about before making such a statement. Although I think you could improve on the humor a little bit..
Are you implying that the largest religious group represented in USA prisons is NOT christian? Because it is, according to the research I've done. So yes I do know just a little something about it, and the humor was obvious due to emoticons use. If you have a problem with my claim that christians are the largest group represented in prison, take it up with the census bureau.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:04 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,350,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Ptsum...I think you're misinterpreting balvenie's sarcastic comment.

I'm actually interested if anyone has the numbers. Does anyone know the percentage of atheists in prison in relation to atheists in the general population?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:19 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,677,862 times
Quote:
Are you implying that the largest religious group represented in USA prisons is NOT christian? Because it is, according to the research I've done. So yes I do know just a little something about it, and the humor was obvious due to emoticons use. If you have a problem with my claim that christians are the largest group represented in prison, take it up with the census bureau.

OK Balvenie, let's step back and take a deep breather here, there is no sarcasm intended here and I do agree with your point that there are more Christians in the penitentiaries then there are any other religious group, even if an individual is not of any religious faith before going into the penitentiary 9 times out of 10 he's going to become a religious person once he is in there. I am often amazed at some of the statements that I've heard that an individual has found his God wants he's been in prison, when was the last time you ever heard of a prisoner say he was glad to become an atheist now that he's been incarcerated. No pun intended, but, I mean the priests and fathers have a captive audience..

Old 02-02-2010, 10:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,227,350 times
Does anyone remember Charles Colson, one of the Watergate gang who became "born-again" in prison? The last refuge of a scoundrel, indeed.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,169,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You seem quite arrogant in your thoughts and that is bothersome. What you are saying is absolutely no different than any other religion follower... that regardless of what we believe is true, you hold the only truth and we are ignorant for simply not accepting it blindly.
I'm sorry you feel that way... with my Heavenly Father, it's a soul thing. This is how we know who He really is with our soul perceptions... and, yes, we all have a soul... it's up to each of us to discover who and what is our soul and what we can do to help awaken it for higher enlightenment. The short time we have here on this earth is not only about what we do in our material world, but how we may best prepare ourselves for the next one, which is spiritual... just making sure that our soul is in the best condition that it can be.

Thinking higher thoughts is one way to help make it a reality... in other words, if your thoughts seem more on the negative side... release and let go of them. That is why I say that a five second silent affirmation of love by students is a positive step.

Remember in the day when there was prayer in schools? I remember holding the Bible and just opening up any page and reading a passage. I didn't have a clue what it said... but when you think back about those days... wasn't society as a whole just a little better, a little nicer... not so degraded?

Going forward to this day what do we see from the results of removing just that small thing... to me it's obvious the decline in morality... and the prevalence of teen sex, drugs, stabbings and murder, disrespect... a campus police presence.

Frankly, I want to live in a better world with my family, don't you?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:36 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,726,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Remember in the day when there was prayer in schools? I remember holding the Bible and just opening up any page and reading a passage. I didn't have a clue what it said... but when you think back about those days... wasn't society as a whole just a little better, a little nicer... not so degraded?
So you're saying you liked society better when there were separate water fountains for whites and "coloreds"? After all, if you can blame the removal of school prayer on some sort of imagined moral decay, you also have to credit it for the subsequent successes of the civil rights movement.

Aside from dubious idealism about the past, the formal name of the fallacy you're commiting is post hoc ergo propter hoc. You're taking two things that happened roughly at the same time and asserting that one caused the other when in reality they're just coincidence. A good example - Flying Spaghetti Monster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Last edited by KCfromNC; 02-03-2010 at 07:29 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,188,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
How sad that you feel that way. Actually, I suggested a very simple five second affirmation... you are calling it a prayer. If I was going to suggest a prayer, believe me it would be much longer and five seconds wouldn't be enough time.

I know that it comes from my Heavenly Father because I am very close to Him and I am receiving His Divine Love in my soul every day.

My Heavenly Father is the Father of all of us... whether there is a belief in Him or not... it's as simple and uncomplicated as that.

Who and What is God? 1 (http://tinyurl.com/yhkp9re - broken link)
Please read post 26 and can the arrogance....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality