Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the right of a Muslim student to pray in public school?
Yes 30 62.50%
No 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM

62 posts, read 120,987 times

Advertisements

Would you support with equal fervor the right of a Muslim student who goes to public school with your children to pray on a prayer rug in the direction of Mecca (called the salah) during school hours?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
In our state, we have a moment of silence each morning in our schools. Students are told they can pray, meditate, think, or just be quiet. It's supposed to be one minute long. I think this is a good compromise between those on both sides. It's silent & private.

The problem with your scenario is that the pray on a prayer rug in the direction of Mecca would likely cause a distraction, and would probably take more time. Not acceptable.

If a child (of any religion) can pray without distracting others, I'm all for it.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Would you support with equal fervor the right of a Muslim student who goes to public school with your children to pray on a prayer rug in the direction of Mecca (called the salah) during school hours?

Just curious.
No problem. (were you expecting a different answer?)

The "equal fervor" part is a little confusing. Equal to what?

Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:

Just curious.
Sure, doesn't bother me.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Prayer in school, as long as it is done on the student's time and doesn't interfere with actual class, is not a problem. School led prayer is an entirely different story.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:22 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,507 times
I don't understand the whole bogus moment of silence thing. If I remember correctly, in school we already had various moments of silence all throughout the day. When we were finished reading for example, we were told to sit quietly until the bell rang. Bam! A moment of silence right there without it having to be designated as prayer or meditation or what have you. If someone is so concerned about praying, don't you think that they could find a minute out of their day to do it on their own, instead of trying to force others to participate in their "moment of silence"? If the only moment of silence in a classroom occurs just in that one minute so designated, then there is much more wrong with the school that any prayer could fix.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM

91 posts, read 92,292 times
Quote:

Just curious.

If this were a muslim nation then yes

Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
I don't understand the whole bogus moment of silence thing. If I remember correctly, in school we already had various moments of silence all throughout the day. When we were finished reading for example, we were told to sit quietly until the bell rang. Bam! A moment of silence right there without it having to be designated as prayer or meditation or what have you. If someone is so concerned about praying, don't you think that they could find a minute out of their day to do it on their own, instead of trying to force others to participate in their "moment of silence"? If the only moment of silence in a classroom occurs just in that one minute so designated, then there is much more wrong with the school that any prayer could fix.
Don't you mean trying to force others to participate in their "moment of silence" (which they might use to pray & that really ticks me off!)?

Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
The problem, as I see it, is that Christians make the false assumption that others pray in the Christian manner: head uncovered and bowed, and can complete their prayer in a minute or two, and this is not the case.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,115,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The problem, as I see it, is that Christians make the false assumption that others pray in the Christian manner: head uncovered and bowed, and can complete their prayer in a minute or two, and this is not the case.
Ya, what if my kid wants to bang a gong fling a prayer wheel around and chant out loud.

I think its better to take care if any religious things before or after public school.

Last edited by Aeroman; 09-08-2011 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Oh, wait, I never had any kids. ……….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality