Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:59 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,369,934 times

Advertisements

No, schools are for education and should be free of any religious teachings. If parents want their children to be brain washed, than they should do it themselves and not at the cost of the public school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 05:01 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,028,757 times
No. Public school is for teaching children about the facts, not promoting religious beliefs.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:06 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,502,962 times
No on organized school prayer. The problem being it is nearly impossible to make one that does not favor one religion over another. The schools have enough to do with educating students, let their parents take responsibility for religious education.

However, I do approve of a moment of silence before classes begin. No words spoken. Just silence. Those who want to pray may do so. Those who want to think about that cute guy/girl sitting next to them may also do so.

God actually hears silent prayers.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:17 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,175,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
However, I do approve of a moment of silence before classes begin. No words spoken. Just silence. Those who want to pray may do so. Those who want to think about that cute guy/girl sitting next to them may also do so. .
I don't think this qualifies as organized. I am cheered to see the lack of support for organized school prayer. There is more vocal support for organized Christian school prayer in Texas forums. I've railed against it, but those who don't support it are usually quiet.

It's definitely common for public high school sports team to thank Jesus and pray to Jesus before and after games which has always made me mad enough to spit.

I have asked before about what if the prayers were in Hebrew, but never got an honest response..

Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM

598 posts, read 919,079 times
It has to do with public endorsement of religion.

Then there will be the question of what. Some say it's a "nation of Christians"; others say it's a "nation of Islam"...

The principle of separation of religion and politics is to avoid getting into craps. Atheism is compatible with such principle in every angle.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,355,179 times
Yes in a private school that has a religious affiliation, and those paying tuition accept it as part of the education they are paying for.

No in the public school system.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 PM

13,774 posts, read 26,626,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
No, schools are for education and should be free of any religious teachings. If parents want their children to be brain washed, than they should do it themselves and not at the cost of the public school system.
As implied my "no" is also a big "NO" on having teachers teach kids in class that their parents are brainwashing them by raising them in a religion. The state is not specifically an atheist or anti-religion state so it has no business doing that. So I strongly don't want any Secular Humanist or Free-thought or Metaphysical Materialist preaching at Public School kids either.

Bon soir et Zai Jian!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,332,178 times
Absolutely not! No prayer in public schools. Do what you want in private schools, though.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,819,429 times
The only organized school prayer I'm okay with is prayer that occurs in parochial schools.

Organized prayer has no place in public schools.
If individual students and teachers want to pray, that's fine.
Teachers and other staff members shouldn't lead prayer and student's shouldn't feel pressured to pray at school.

When I was in 8th grade I remember when our music teacher died. The principal lead some students in prayer and I was deeply offended. I considered going to the school district about it but a lot of my friends didn't want me to rock the boat.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:48 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,307,933 times
When I was in elementary school I would not close my eyes and look to see who else wasn't.

"Pledge of Allegiance" Absolutely

No prayer in public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality