Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 02:27 PM

63,890 posts, read 40,164,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Jesus Christ fulfilled the prophecies of the Old Testament. And those prophecies existed before buddha. And the Bible tells us Jesus was the only one found under heaven that could give people salvation. Jesus was the blood sacrifice, all who accept His sacrifice, will be saved.
Whatever. It was Jesus's attainment of perfect LOVE for us ALL in His HUMAN consciousness that has "saved" us ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 02:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,849,201 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ fulfilled the prophecies of the Old Testament. And those prophecies existed before buddha. And the Bible tells us Jesus was the only one found under heaven that could give people salvation. Jesus was the blood sacrifice, all who accept His sacrifice, will be saved.
Judaism is far from being the first or oldest religion.

Timeline of religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-12-2009, 02:39 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,976,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Whatever. It was Jesus's attainment of perfect LOVE for us ALL in His HUMAN consciousness that has "saved" us ALL.
Jesus did not have to attain anything, Jesus is God.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:41 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,976,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Judaism is far from being the first or oldest religion.

Timeline of religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yet, Judaism is the only religion that has Biblical prophecies that really came true.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:47 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,121,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraZoteBuccaneer View Post
You guys are whacked. Every religion talks about "someone coming" Mayans are looking to Quezacotal. Muslums are looking to Muhammad. Jews are looking for Messiah and Christians are looking for Christ all over again.

I'm glad to see you saying there is only one God and I agree. You must have misunderstood me. I'm a deeply committed Chrisitan and agree with the monotheistic stand you are taking, but I just don't get why you feel that a specific people cannot be chosen in a world full of corruption?

human ego and the desire to be special? you are claiming that people who claim to have a covenant with God are somehow making up a bunch of lies and we're all falling for it?
Good post.

The Jews were God's chosen people, full stop.

Moreover, through Jesus Christ, all were given the chance to be grafted in through the new covenant. Jesus was born a Jew. Mary, his human mother and the Mother of the Catholic Church, was a Jew. His stepfather St. Joseph, who held Heaven itself in his arms when He was a little baby, was a Jew.

Israel's election is known in the Catholic Church as the "scandal of particularity":
This idea of the election of Israel that's so fundamental to the OT and crucial to the understanding of Jesus, continues also to be a live issue today, although sadly in rather contentious ways. At one level it goes against our contemporary ideas of justice and equality - it's scandalous that in some way God favours one race above another, that he cares for the Jews more than anyone else....

The Christian understanding of the election of Israel that comes out of the Gospel story is that the destiny of Israel is focussed in Christ - the choosing is not about being given special privileges and honours and being let off certain things while everyone else is in misery - rather it's the other way around. The servant songs in the prophet Isaiah show Israel as being chosen to suffer for the sake of the world - and in the Christian understanding all that has become focussed in Jesus Christ who makes sense of that suffering by bringing it to resurrection and eternal life.

This is known as the scandal of particularity - it was through a particular nation that God especially made himself known and then that it was at a particular time, in a particular place and in a particular person that God fully revealed his purposes and presence.

Read more....

Sermons - Salisbury Cathedral

Old 12-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
YUP!!!

And you don't need a PhD to understand that!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Right. Then it is all pointless. God does everything, Jesus wasted His time teaching us anything and there is no point whatsoever for God to have even created us . . . what a total waste. Your God is as purposeless as that of the atheists (Nature).

Old 12-12-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Right. Then it is all pointless. God does everything, Jesus wasted His time teaching us anything and there is no point whatsoever for God to have even created us . . . what a total waste. Your God is as purposeless as that of the atheists (Nature).
You are completely missing the point. I cannot see how anything you wrote is in any way a response to Campbell's simple statement.

Jesus was God incarnate--"true God and true man." Jesus came to redeem us from our sins so that we could know how to love Him and serve Him and have Eternal Life with Him forever in heaven. He performed miracles (healing the sick, walking on water, driving out demons). He defeated Satan on the cross.

Moreover, he DID come to "teach" us how to live, by his example. St Paul certainly "got" it (even if YOU don't):
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity
If you don't believe me, you should study the lives of the saints. One of my favorites is Maximilian Kolbe.

All this "Purposeless?" Uh, I DON'T THINK SO!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
You are completely missing the point. I cannot see how anything you wrote is in any way a response to Campbell's simple statement.

Jesus was God incarnate--"true God and true man." Jesus came to redeem us from our sins so that we could know how to love Him and serve Him and have Eternal Life with Him forever in heaven. He performed miracles (healing the sick, walking on water, driving out demons). He defeated Satan on the cross.

Moreover, he DID come to "teach" us how to live, by his example. St Paul certainly "got" it (even if YOU don't):
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity
If you don't believe me, you should study the lives of the saints. One of my favorites is Maximilian Kolbe.

All this "Purposeless?" Uh, I DON'T THINK SO!!!
WE will agree to disagree, Dreaming . . . your mind is clouded by the "precepts and doctrines of men" in the RCC. Magical and wishful thinking precludes the understanding of our true purpose and the true nature of our God. The "seed" parables were not casual or trivial. We ALL start as a "seed" of God consciousness (EVEN Jesus) and our soul grows or not based on the genetic ground it is planted in (EVEN Jesus or He would NOT have been fully human). But it is only a "SEED" and must grow and deal with the physical demands of its body and the requirements of a physical life. Jesus had the advantage of no "sins of the Father" being passed on . . . but He was otherwise FULLY HUMAN as we are and subject to the identical urges and drives, etc. THAT is what makes His achievement so important for us ALL. Of what value would His resistance of Satan be if He was simply God from the beginning and had nothing to achieve??? Of course He would resist temptation . . . if He was just God. He showed that a HUMAN is capable of it . . . though "His yoke was easy and His burden light" having the strength of the Father in Him.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:46 PM

I have no problem with you rejecting Catholic doctrine, but I do have a problem with you misrepresenting it. Hopefully this will clear up a few of your misconceptions about what you think I believe:

1. We ALL start as a "seed" of God consciousness (EVEN Jesus) and our soul grows or not based on the genetic ground it is planted in (EVEN Jesus or He would NOT have been fully human.

Yes, Jesus was "fully human" -- "true God and true man." The RCC teaches this, so I don't know what your point it.

2. He was otherwise FULLY HUMAN as we are and subject to the identical urges and drives, etc.

Of course He was (as is evident in the events in the Garden of Gethsemane). Also, see my answer above.

3. THAT is what makes His achievement so important for us ALL. Of what value would His resistance of Satan be if He was simply God from the beginning and had nothing to achieve???

You don't seem to grasp that he was simultaneously God and man -- it was his human nature that was tempted by and overcame Satan in the desert, not his "divine" one. But it doesn't change the fact that also had a divine nature while he did it. Difficult to grasp with your rational mind? Yes. That is why the RCC teaches that the incarnation, like the trinity, is a "mystery."

As regards his achievement -- well, I can't speak for you....but I certainly regard obeying the will of His Father and surrendering himself to Pilate for torture, thus defeating Satan, to be an achievement when, being God, he could have simply blown the entire world away instead had He wanted to.

4. He showed that a HUMAN is capable of it

Yes, he did. And reading the accounts of the Christian martyrs who died horrible deaths for the sake of the Gospel by His example, such as Maximilian Kolbe, is quite sobering. It's certainly one of the key foundations of my own Faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality