Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaraZoteBuccaneer View Post
To equate jesus being another budda or even like budda would be bordering on the concept of many paths to right and wrong. Life is ruled by known facts. If you touch something hot, it will burn. If you pour water on something, it will be wet. So on and so on. There is a black and white to everything. We cannot find ourselves entertaining the idea of many deities all being equal because the deities themselves claim to have no equal.
A common mistake . . . there is ONLY ONE God, period. Humans and their beliefs do NOT define God or determine His characteristics.
Quote:
therefore you need to measure them based on their truth. Who has the ultimate power and how do you prove their existence? with Jesus, he says he is the only way and truth and life. He does not say, "oh except for that guy Buddah." Anyone care to know how to prove the existence of Christ? I doubt Budda has any way of proving himself....
Except that Buddha described the PERFECT ONE that would come after him . . . the Maitreya . . . and it perfectly describes Jesus and the characteristics of Maitri (Love) that He embodied and exhibited even through His scourging and crucifixion (something Buddha is unlikely to have been able to do). The idea that God is ONLY inspiring and influencing ONE specific, privileged and special portion of His creation is absolute nonsense . . . born of human ego and the desire to be special.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 12-11-2009 at 10:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 PM

179 posts, read 295,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
A common mistake . . . there is ONLY ONE God, period. Humans and their beliefs do NOT define God or determine His characteristics. Except that Buddha described the PERFECT ONE that would come after him . . . the Maitreya . . . and it perfectly describes Jesus and the characteristics of Maitri (Love) that He embodied and exhibited even through His scourging and crucifixion (something Buddha is unlikely to have been able to do). The idea that God is ONLY inspiring and influencing ONE specific, privileged and special portion of His creation is absolute nonsense . . . born of human ego and the desire to be special.
I absolutely agree!

Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 PM

508 posts, read 1,107,849 times
You guys are whacked. Every religion talks about "someone coming" Mayans are looking to Quezacotal. Muslums are looking to Muhammad. Jews are looking for Messiah and Christians are looking for Christ all over again.

I'm glad to see you saying there is only one God and I agree. You must have misunderstood me. I'm a deeply committed Chrisitan and agree with the monotheistic stand you are taking, but I just don't get why you feel that a specific people cannot be chosen in a world full of corruption?

human ego and the desire to be special? you are claiming that people who claim to have a covenant with God are somehow making up a bunch of lies and we're all falling for it?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 PM

179 posts, read 295,116 times
Quote:
You guys are whacked. Every religion talks about "someone coming" Mayans are looking to Quezacotal. Muslums are looking to Muhammad. Jews are looking for Messiah and Christians are looking for Christ all over again.

I'm glad to see you saying there is only one God and I agree. You must have misunderstood me. I'm a deeply committed Chrisitan and agree with the monotheistic stand you are taking, but I just don't get why you feel that a specific people cannot be chosen in a world full of corruption?

human ego and the desire to be special? you are claiming that people who claim to have a covenant with God are somehow making up a bunch of lies and we're all falling for it?
OMG you just opened yourself up to the onslaught of the many atheist's on here...I quiver in fear at what their "answer" will be.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Don't you realize that the universality of the idea of a Savior for humankind is what proves the basic inspiration is from God and not just some whacked old man. The form it takes is determined by the culture and understanding of the receivers of the inspiration. It is Jesus's PERFECT accomplishment of the version of that inspiration recorded by Isaiah that validates Him. The fact that He has been doing so for events occurring during the 2000+years AFTER His death and rebirth as Spirit is further validation.
Quote:
Because it is completely inconsistent with the Jesus who died for us ALL and would negate any possibility that God loves us ALL. Since God IS love . . . that would be absurd. God does not play favorites (is no respecter of persons). Will those of us who fail to mature spiritually (for whatever reasons) . . . face some negative consequences, certainly . . . failure always does. But there are no special people . . . only special achievers (some a hundredfold, some sixtyfold, and some thirtyfold).
Quote:
The covenant is with ALL humanity . . . not some egotistic group of wanna-be special elect.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:00 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,163,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God does not play favorites (is no respecter of persons). Will those of us who fail to mature spiritually (for whatever reasons) . . . face some negative consequences, certainly . . . failure always does. But there are no special people . . . only special achievers (some a hundredfold, some sixtyfold, and some thirtyfold). The covenant is with ALL humanity . . . not some egotistic group of wanna-be special elect.
God loves all of us and we are ALL chosen by Him... no matter if we are good, bad or indifferent.

As to special achievers, these are the ones who seek something special from God, our Father in Heaven... His Divine Love. And the reason why we seek this is because it brings to us a Special, loving happiness that brings peace, joy, patience, tolerance, forgiveness...

It's not possible to get this, or feel this love, from any human being.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:08 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times

Now the Venerable Raadha approached the Lord. Having approached and prostrated himself he sat down to one side. As he was sitting there, the venerable Raadha said to the Lord:

"How can we know, Sir, how can we see, that in this consciousness-endowed body and externally among all outer objects there is no I-ness, no mine-ness, no underlying tendency to conceit?"

"Whatsoever body... feeling... perception... mental activities... consciousness, Raadha, past, future or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near, is looked upon as, 'This is not mine,' 'I am not this,' 'This is not myself' — in this manner it is seen according to actuality with perfect wisdom. Thus knowing, thus seeing, in this consciousness-endowed body and externally among all outer objects there is no I-ness, no mine-ness, no underlying tendency to conceit."

Then the venerable Raadha, living alone, secluded, diligent, ardent and resolute, soon realized here and now, through his own direct knowledge, that unequaled quest of the holy life, for which sons of good family rightly go forth from home to the homeless state, and entering into it abide in it. And he knew: finished is birth, lived is the holy life, done is what had to be done, there is no more of this or that state.
And the venerable Raadha became one of the Perfect Ones.

— SN 22.71

An arahant would be a perfect one. And not only was there perfect ones even when the Buddha was alive, but many after him.

The Maitreya will come only after the Dharma is no longer taught.

And a Buddha would not teach that “only through me can you be saved†No Buddha would have such an ego.
So no, Jesus was not a Buddha or the Maitreya.

This from wiki was interesting. I had no idea some Muslims claim Muhammad to be Maitreya.
"Some Muslim scholars who studied Buddhist texts believe that Maitreya is "Rahmatu lil-'alameen" (Mercy for The Worlds), which is the name for the prophet Muhammad as it is said in the Qur'an. [5] According to the research on the book Antim Buddha - Maitreya scholars have summarized that Maitreya Buddha is Muhammad.[6] After examining the Buddhist texts researchers concluded that Muhammad had been the last and final awakened Buddha to come into existence long after the current teachings.[7]"

Maitreya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-12-2009, 12:16 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,163,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
Now the Venerable Raadha approached the Lord. Having approached and prostrated himself he sat down to one side. As he was sitting there, the venerable Raadha said to the Lord: "How can we know, Sir, how can we see, that in this consciousness-endowed body and externally among all outer objects there is no I-ness, no mine-ness, no underlying tendency to conceit?"

"Whatsoever body... feeling... perception... mental activities... consciousness, Raadha, past, future or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near, is looked upon as, 'This is not mine,' 'I am not this,' 'This is not myself' — in this manner it is seen according to actuality with perfect wisdom. Thus knowing, thus seeing, in this consciousness-endowed body and externally among all outer objects there is no I-ness, no mine-ness, no underlying tendency to conceit."

Then the venerable Raadha, living alone, secluded, diligent, ardent and resolute, soon realized here and now, through his own direct knowledge, that unequaled quest of the holy life, for which sons of good family rightly go forth from home to the homeless state, and entering into it abide in it. And he knew: finished is birth, lived is the holy life, done is what had to be done, there is no more of this or that state. And the venerable Raadha became one of the Perfect Ones. — SN 22.71

An arahant would be a perfect one. And not only was there perfect ones even when the Buddha was alive, but many after him. The Maitreya will come only after the Dharma is no longer taught. And a Buddha would not teach that “only through me can you be saved” No Buddha would have such an ego. So no, Jesus was not a Buddha or the Maitreya.
A person can become perfect by purifying their natural love... the love that we are all born with... while they are still alive on this earth... so, no doubt, this is what that person did.

However, this is in contradistinction to God's Divine Love, which is something Jesus, the first Perfect Divine One, obtained... and we can follow what he did... to become divine people with receipt of God's Divine Love in our souls... if it is our desire to do so.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
An arahant would be a perfect one. And not only was there perfect ones even when the Buddha was alive, but many after him.

The Maitreya will come only after the Dharma is no longer taught.

And a Buddha would not teach that “only through me can you be saved” No Buddha would have such an ego.
So no, Jesus was not a Buddha or the Maitreya.
I am familiar with the all the eastern traditions and their conceptions and expectations, Aeroman. They are no different in their dogmatic insistence on their beliefs than the Christians or any other group . . . and they are no less fallible. I followed the Buddhist teachings and I experimented with various bio-feedback techniques to gain control of my autonomic system to drive my pulse rate and breathing down farther and farther to aid in achieving deep meditation while under conscious control . . . fully expecting to confirm what Buddha and all your perfect others assured me would be found. They were wrong!

My expectations were completely disproved. The Oneness was not a homogenized lack of individuation and loss of self . . . it was a multitude in oneness and I retained my sense of self throughout. The joy was indescribable . . . and the presence of love and acceptance unmistakable. Once contact with such love is achieved it is impossible to countenance ANY negativity whatsoever. I suspect it was this LOVE that Siddartha encountered . . . (which could not help but make his own achievement of maitri pale by comparison) . . . and led him to believe there MUST be someone more perfect than he who would eventually achieve it.

The entire concept of "salvation" is a human distortion of what could never easily be explained to primitive minds. Remove all the rigamarole and hocus pocus. The reality is that NO human consciousness had EVER achieved the perfection of love necessary to make direct contact and merge (resonate perfectly) with God consciousness. That left humanity in the lurch . . . disconnected from God. Jesus DID achieve that perfection in a HUMAN consciousness and made contact for ALL human consciousness possible. So in a purely structural context . . . there is no other WAY any other human consciousness can achieve ANY degree of resonance with God consciousness other than through the connection made by Jesus. That would hardly be bragging or boasting . . . just revealing fact.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 12-12-2009 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 02:20 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
I ask this becuse over my many years of studying buddhism i've noticed that there are way too many similarities between the story of the life of buddha and that of jesus christ. Most can't even be called similarities becuse they are identical. for example buddha's mom Maya conceived buddha immaculatly as did jesus's mom Mary (even the mothers names are similar.) buddha meditated for 40 days and 40 night's before being enlightened all while being tempted by demons as did jesus christ (demons being just one in jesus's case) buddha had 12 original desiples as did jesus christ. And, both returned after there deaths buddha as a spirit and jesus in the flesh but both returned nonetheless. Both where extremely tolerant and peaceful and taught accordingly. Mind you buddha lived 500 years BC. was jesus the future buddha that buddha said would come?
Jesus Christ fulfilled the prophecies of the Old Testament. And those prophecies existed before buddha. And the Bible tells us Jesus was the only one found under heaven that could give people salvation. Jesus was the blood sacrifice, all who accept His sacrifice, will be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality