Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:53 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,127,651 times

Advertisements

1. It is our consciousness that is created in His likeness . . . NOT our pitiful physical bodies....There you go usurping God's prerogative and deciding who is and who isn't a Christian!

Interesting how you accuse me of "usurping God's perogative" by "deciding who is and who isn't a Christian" while YOU, at the same time, in the very same post, USURP GOD'S PEROGATIVE by unilaterally deciding what He meant in Genesis 1:26 when He said that human beings were "created in His image and likeness."

If you are going to set a rule that none of us should "usurp God's perogative" (and I agree with that rule, by the way) and do so with any credibility, then you had better be willing to adhere to that very same rule yourself!

Further, I have never claimed that "God doesn't think MysticPhd is a Christian." Rather, I have claimed, correctly, that YOU are not a "Christian" within the common understanding of the term (as "understood" by humans, of course--but perhaps I should have been explicit!).

3. Personally . . . if not for the wondrous experience that is achieved when I am in deep meditation and contact with His love and acceptance . . . there would be no point to any of it.

I think you are confusing an "altered state of consciousness" with the mind of God. But that's just my opinion--not God's of course!

4. I have arrived here very confidently, DreamingSpires . . and am quite content. God bless.

I'm sure you are quite happy. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point you started your own "movement" or something in the vein of Krishnamurti, since you clearly feel you have so much to share with the millions like me left "in the dark" by those old, so-called "primitive" Hebraic religions.

I must say, I am very happy to learn that you have apparently rejected "occult practices," at least if your response to my question about "divination" is any indication. Good job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM

64,171 posts, read 40,571,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
1. It is our consciousness that is created in His likeness . . . NOT our pitiful physical bodies....There you go usurping God's prerogative and deciding who is and who isn't a Christian!

Interesting how you accuse me of "usurping God's perogative" by "deciding who is and who isn't a Christian" while YOU, at the same time, in the very same post, USURP GOD'S PEROGATIVE by unilaterally deciding what He meant in Genesis 1:26 when He said that human beings were "created in His image and likeness."

If you are going to set a rule that none of us should "usurp God's perogative" (and I agree with that rule, by the way) and do so with any credibility, then you had better be willing to adhere to that very same rule yourself!
I am interpreting scripture as the Holy Spirit and my knowledge guide me . . . not judging you or any other PERSON. This seems to be the major fault of self-righteous believers. It is one thing to be certain for yourself . . . but quite another to foist your certainty on to another human being and judge their love of Christ or membership as one of His followers. YOUR criteria for a follower of Christ are man-made from YOUR INTERPRETATION of scripture. From where did you get your INFALLIBILITY? Oh . . . wait you are Catholic . . . it must be from that other MAN . . . the POPE. There is NO comparison between my presenting my interpretations of scripture and your presenting your judgments of my Christianity as a follower of Christ.
Quote:
Further, I have never claimed that "God doesn't think MysticPhd is a Christian." Rather, I have claimed, correctly, that YOU are not a "Christian" within the common understanding of the term (as "understood" by humans, of course--but perhaps I should have been explicit!).
Now you are speaking for all humans and Christians . . . you are presumptuous! Which group, exactly . . . did JESUS point out to you as THE TRUE Christians by which to compare all of us who disagree with YOUR views?
Quote:
3. Personally . . . if not for the wondrous experience that is achieved when I am in deep meditation and contact with His love and acceptance . . . there would be no point to any of it.

I think you are confusing an "altered state of consciousness" with the mind of God. But that's just my opinion--not God's of course!
Try it . . . you'll like it. Those I have met who practice devout prayer (very similar to deep meditation according to the scientists) agree with me.
Quote:
4. I have arrived here very confidently, DreamingSpires . . and am quite content. God bless.

I'm sure you are quite happy. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point you started your own "movement" or something in the vein of Krishnamurti, since you clearly feel you have so much to share with the millions like me left "in the dark" by those old, so-called "primitive" Hebraic religions.
No thanks . . . I am close to making the transition at my age. I do not feel any compulsion to convert anyone and never have. I believe my responsibility ends when I share my "light" rather than "hide it under a bushel" . . . so to speak. If the primitive concepts still speak to you . . . that is sufficient for the day.
Quote:
I must say, I am very happy to learn that you have apparently rejected "occult practices," at least if your response to my question about "divination" is any indication. Good job!
Once you thoroughly understand them and their origins . . . as I do . . all the superstition and fear is removed. However, their reliance on "supernatural" nonsense instead of rationales consistent with science negates their value. I do see scientific underpinnings in many of them that may yet be ascertained . . . since over 95+% of our universe is composed of energy and matter NOT yet measurable or controllable by scientific methods.
God bless.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 12-13-2009 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-13-2009, 10:59 AM

I am interpreting scripture as the Holy Spirit and my knowledge guide me . . . not judging you or any other PERSON. This seems to be the major fault of self-righteous believers.

MysticPhd,

First you tell me you are "not judging" me -- then you refer to me as a "self-righteous believer" in the very next sentence!!!

Further, in the same post, I am also "presumptuous" and the Hebraic religions "primitive."

You are free to hold those views, and I will even dialogue with you knowing that you do, but I will not dialogue with someone who expresses such views yet claims simultaneously to be "non-judgmental."

If you are unwilling to adhere to even a minimum level of intellectual honesty coming right out of the gate, as the above example aptly demonstrates, what is the point of continuing this discussion?

I mean, really?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I am interpreting scripture as the Holy Spirit and my knowledge guide me . . . not judging you or any other PERSON. This seems to be the major fault of self-righteous believers.

MysticPhd,

First you tell me you are "not judging" me -- then you refer to me as a "self-righteous believer" in the very next sentence!!!
The next sentence was GENERIC . . . if you self-identify with it that is your problem.
Quote:

Further, in the same post, I am also "presumptuous" and the Hebraic religions "primitive."
Your speaking for humans and Christians was presumptuous . . . YOU characterized your Hebraic beliefs as primitive in this post. I simply agree with it as you already know from my previous posts.
Quote:
You are free to hold those views, and I will even dialogue with you knowing that you do, but I will not dialogue with someone who expresses such views yet claims simultaneously to be "non-judgmental."
I do not judge you, but your posts are clearly judgmental with your assertions about who is or is not a true Christian. I know you have trouble seeing this probably because you think it obvious or God-given to be true. It IS NOT.
Quote:
If you are unwilling to adhere to even a minimum level of intellectual honesty coming right out of the gate, as the above example aptly demonstrates, what is the point of continuing this discussion?
Point out my intellectual dishonesty . . . since you seem determined to judge it that way. I don't see it.
God Bless.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:14 PM

The next sentence was GENERIC . . . if you self-identify with it that is your problem.

How can you with any credibility claim to not be judging me or any other "PERSON", including a "generic" group of people with whom I am free to identify with or not, when you label said "generic" group as "self righteous believers?" If you were truly "non judgmental" you would never place such a label on any person or any group.

You continue to contradict yourself left, right, and centre.

Further, I placed the word "primitive" in quotes--not because I believe it, but because YOU used the term to describe the Jewish Faith....which led to an argey bargey the other day that got deleted, where I characterised your views as antisemitic (which I maintain they are). What I meant (and perhaps should have said explicitly--but I didn't think I needed to) was "so-called primitive."

Methinks you are simply playing word games at this point, pal.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:

How can you with any credibility claim to not be judging me or any other "PERSON", including a "generic" group of people with whom I am free to identify with or not, when you label said "generic" group as "self righteous believers?" If you were truly "non judgmental" you would never place such a label on any person or any group.
Are you seriously maintaining that there are NOT groups of human beings who are self-righteous believers??? Of course there are . . . and normal everyday experience and encounters validate it. Why else would we have a word for it?
Quote:
You continue to contradict yourself left, right, and centre.
apparently contradiction (like beauty) is in the eye of the beholder.
Quote:
Further, I placed the word "primitive" in quotes--not because I believe it, but because YOU used the term to describe the Jewish Faith....which led to an argey bargey the other day that got deleted, where I characterised your views as antisemitic (which I maintain they are). What I meant (and perhaps should have said explicitly--but I didn't think I needed to) was "so-called primitive."
I have very explicitly described the interpretations of our ancestors as recorded in scriptures thousands of years old as "primitive" with no apology. They ARE!. Those who adhere to them religiously as literal interpretations from God (as the Jews and some Christians do) are adhering to primitive beliefs, period. None of that remotely invokes the bigotry you allude to in your unceasing effort to besmirch my character . . . since you are unable to successfully refute my views.
Quote:
Methinks you are simply playing word games at this point, pal.
I am certain you are engaged in character assassination in desperation, friend. God bless.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Are you seriously maintaining that there are NOT groups of human beings who are self-righteous believers???
You are missing the point. This has nothing to do with whether or not there are "self-righteous believers" in the world, or not.

The only claim at issue is the one you made about yourself--that you are not "judgmental" toward any person. What you wrote specifically was:

I am interpreting scripture as the Holy Spirit and my knowledge guide me . . . not judging you or any other PERSON.

You then went on to refer to "self-righteous believers."

Here is another example of where you claim that you do not judge:

I do not judge you, but your posts are clearly judgmental

That second one is interesting because you say that you don't judge me, but then call my posts "judgmental" in the VERY SAME SENTENCE!

If you were truly "non judgmental" you would never use judgmental terms such as "self righteous," "primitive," or "judgmental" to describe me, or anyone for that matter!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point. This has nothing to do with whether or not there are "self-righteous believers" in the world, or not.

The only claim at issue is the one you made about yourself--that you are not "judgmental" toward any person. What you wrote specifically was:

I am interpreting scripture as the Holy Spirit and my knowledge guide me . . . not judging you or any other PERSON.

You then went on to refer to "self-righteous believers."

Here is another example of where you claim that you do not judge:

I do not judge you, but your posts are clearly judgmental

That second one is interesting because you say that you don't judge me, but then call my posts "judgmental" in the VERY SAME SENTENCE!

If you were truly "non judgmental" you would never use judgmental terms such as "self righteous," "primitive," or "judgmental" to describe me, or anyone for that matter!
I repeat . . . I do not judge you . . so stop mistating the facts. Are you seriously trying to suggest that there are NOT primitive beliefs, self-righteous and or judgmental VIEWS in the world??? What is . . . IS. I do not characterize any SPECIFIC PERSON . . as you do . . . but I do evaluate and judge specific BELIEFS and VIEWS as presented in POSTS on their MERITS. That you cannot see the distinction does not surprise me at all.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I repeat . . . I do not judge you . . so stop mistating the facts. Are you seriously trying to suggest that there are NOT primitive beliefs, self-righteous and or judgmental VIEWS in the world??? What is . . . IS. I do not characterize any SPECIFIC PERSON . . as you do . . . but I do evaluate and judge specific BELIEFS and VIEWS as presented in POSTS on their MERITS. That you cannot see the distinction does not surprise me at all.
If you "do not judge" me, then how come you called my posts "judgmental"?

I did not misquote you. Your words are there in black and white (and blue ).

Further, if you feel I am misquoting you, report me to the mods. I would certainly do that if I had evidence that you were repeatedly misquoting me!

Old 12-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
If you "do not judge" me, then how come you called my posts "judgmental"?
Perhaps I am expecting too much of you . . . do you really not see a distinction between the content of your posts (which can be many things on their own merits . . . including judgmental) and the content of your own personal character. Do you believe it is impossible for a non-judgmental person to make a post that contains judgmental content . . . especially if it is just a regurgitation of deeply held religious dogma or beliefs (which are frequently judgmental)??
Quote:
I did not misquote you. Your words are there in black and white (and blue ).
Mischaracterizing and misquoting are two separate things . . . another distinction you seem to have trouble with. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality