Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 03:33 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is clear that you have bought into the "instruction" of those who have stagnated in their understanding for millennia (passing their "understanding" from generation to generation) by exclusively focusing on the right brain skills and information available to them . . . while completely ignoring the left brain understanding . . . deliberately. I bought into it too . . . for 18 years. The absurdity of it was made abundantly clear to me when I reached the end state of deep meditation under conscious control (observer status) . . . not blind "emptying of the mind." I do not wish to disabuse you of your "masters'" teachings . . . but I have gone well beyond them, coyote. Peace be with you.
You are so arrogant and make such erroneous assumptions about me and when i get down to it and put aside all the b.s. and attempt to be very real and direct and clear with you and, for example, ask you how it is you come to such notions (which you admit are merely beliefs), you dismiss me and say that you have gone beyond.
When i "hold your feet to the fire" and challenge you in a way that your intellect cannot evade and/or avoid and cannot directly and honestly meet, you back away and claim superiority.
It's so silly and you're so transparent.
I have no master and if you've truly received and understood my expressions you would not be saying such presumptuous things to me regarding my own spiritual path.
You've done this before with me .. when you cannot or will not engage, you right me off as a blind follower of whatever teachings and/or masters you assume i am "following".
You have a very naughty ego and a very tricky mind.
tsk, tsk, tsk.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 12-05-2009 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 06:34 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
I beg to differ.
Jesus became the divine man while he was still alive and, thus, the Holy Spirit brought God's Divine Love to him way before he passed over into the spirit world.

We can possess the same thing Jesus did if we will only ask our Heavenly Father for it. That's all it takes. A very simple process. I am on the same path as Jesus and I've been receiving GDL for years.
We can agree to disagree. I have no doubt that you are receiving God's love . . . (we ALL are) . . . but about your reciprocal expression of it I am more than a little skeptical. The Holy Spirit is a level of spiritual achievement . . . PERFECT resonance (Love) with God consciousness . . . that ONLY one human being has achieved . . . Jesus. We each can achieve "partial resonances" at various "harmonic levels" with the guidance of the Holy Spirit that Jesus brought into the human realm through love. Love is the vehicle . . . but there is nothing either simple or easy about achieving perfect resonance . . . and I am not sanguine that any of us will achieve it. Fortunately, we don't have to . . . harmonic resonance is sufficient.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:43 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
You are so arrogant and make such erroneous assumptions about me and when i get down to it and put aside all the b.s. and attempt to be very real and direct and clear with you and, for example, ask you how it is you come to such notions (which you admit are merely beliefs), you dismiss me and say that you have gone beyond.
It is not arrogance . . . but respect for the point on the path that you appear to have achieved. I didn't dismiss you . . . I just don't want to be a hindrance or discouragement. It was your brash assumption and assertion about me NOT having achieved what you currently believe is the goal . . . that triggered my withdrawal rather than engage you in a discussion that might inhibit your progress along the path. I've "been there done that" and I know that if you continue . . . (no matter what you believe about what you are trying to achieve) . . . there is the possibility that you will get to the same spot I reached. If so . . . you will know why I have issues with your current views.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,102,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
I ask this becuse over my many years of studying buddhism i've noticed that there are way too many similarities between the story of the life of buddha and that of jesus christ. Most can't even be called similarities becuse they are identical. for example buddha's mom Maya conceived buddha immaculatly as did jesus's mom Mary (even the mothers names are similar.) buddha meditated for 40 days and 40 night's before being enlightened all while being tempted by demons as did jesus christ (demons being just one in jesus's case) buddha had 12 original desiples as did jesus christ. And, both returned after there deaths buddha as a spirit and jesus in the flesh but both returned nonetheless. Both where extremely tolerant and peaceful and taught accordingly. Mind you buddha lived 500 years BC. was jesus the future buddha that buddha said would come?

Good for you! You finally figured out that much of Christianity merely rehashes mythology from many earlier cultures. Aside from the whole virgin birth thing, you'll also find that many religions have Flood myths too, like the ancient Mesapotamians.
But you are right about Jesus being merely another Buddha, whose real name was Siddartha Guatama. See, both men were fully human teachers. Hell, even Jesus' earlier followers referred to him as "Rabbi." And to carry the Buddha analogy a step further: you know how, in the four gospels of the New Testament, there is not mention of Jesus' life between the ages of, say, twelve- and thrity-years old? Well, many scholars surmise that one possibillity for this is that jesus went to Tibet or India and studied Buddhism or Hinduism. See, many passages from the bible allude to the fact that they believed in reincarnation back then--a prime tenent of those two religions. One of Jesus' followers says at one time, when he asks them who they think he is: "Some say you are Elijah" referring to the OT prophet.
Too, many of the writings found among the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Nag Hammadi discovery refer to a belief in reincarnation. This, of couorse, was omitted and censored by early church leaders because belief in another life or in karma would diminish their power.
Keep reading! Enjoy your newfound wisdom, which will beat religion everytime.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,164,035 times
Quote:
We can agree to disagree. I have no doubt that you are receiving God's love . . . (we ALL are) . . . but about your reciprocal expression of it I am more than a little skeptical. The Holy Spirit is a level of spiritual achievement . . . PERFECT resonance (Love) with God consciousness . . . that ONLY one human being has achieved . . . Jesus. We each can achieve "partial resonances" at various "harmonic levels" with the guidance of the Holy Spirit that Jesus brought into the human realm through love. Love is the vehicle . . . but there is nothing either simple or easy about achieving perfect resonance . . . and I am not sanguine that any of us will achieve it. Fortunately, we don't have to . . . harmonic resonance is sufficient.
We are all receiving God's Divine Love if we pray for it to come into our souls with earnest and sincere longings and this comes to us by God's messenger, the Holy Spirit.

We are not born with any divine qualities. If we were, there would be no sin on this planet.

But we do all have the benefit of being loved by our Heavenly Father.

If you are receiving God's Divine in your soul, you will know what it is, because it is a distinct and higher love than is the natural love that is given to us at our birth.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:14 PM

179 posts, read 295,197 times
Why thank you drummerboy! Do I get a cookie? I don't know whether to take what you wrote as a complement or an insult. First off the proper spelling is Siddharta Gautama prince of the Shakya warrior tribe where the name Shakyamuni is derived from. Also I'm a former buddhist who has studied under the renowned Khenser Wandak Rinpoche who currently resides in Middletown, Connecticut. google him for more info. So please don't patronise me as these revelation's are apparent to anyone with half a brain who has access to a library or the history channel. They are nothing new to me I simply posted this thread as i noticed that this issue has not been discussed. Furthermore, I ask that you please refrain from making assumptions of the knowledge of people you don't know. I'm new to this forum and I feel that a "Senior Member" such as yourself should know better. PS. i didn't quote you as my PS3 has limited memory allowing me to type only so many words before cutting me off!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:24 PM

Oh yeah I forgot to mention everyone who has or is replying to this thread may find the following book interesting: Jesus and Buddha as Brothers by Thich Nhat Hanh my personal favorite buddhist writer.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:22 AM

Did you know buddhism has a trinity as well? It's called the Three bodies of the buddha. This is yet another similarity between not just these two religious figures but these two religions as well.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:36 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Quote:
It is not arrogance . . . but respect for the point on the path that you appear to have achieved. I didn't dismiss you . . . I just don't want to be a hindrance or discouragement. It was your brash assumption and assertion about me NOT having achieved what you currently believe is the goal . . . that triggered my withdrawal rather than engage you in a discussion that might inhibit your progress along the path. I've "been there done that" and I know that if you continue . . . (no matter what you believe about what you are trying to achieve) . . . there is the possibility that you will get to the same spot I reached. If so . . . you will know why I have issues with your current views.
You don't know what i have or have not "achieved".
(And to be linear about spiritual evolution is absurd as is thinking about spirituality in terms of "achievement").
I'm babbling on a forum and often (not always) representing voices and positions that are not necessarily my "current views".
I have no "current views" that i hold to be absolute truths ... it's all mind stuff and i do not reveal my inner world and my spiritual landscape / soul-scape (which could hardly be conveyed in words anyway) on a public forum where i'm "talking" to a bunch of strangers who are not my friends / "spiritual allies".

I write because i enjoy writing and expressing and need to keep my energy flowing and, at times, i like to challenge the arrogance of people who insist that they know ... whether they're speaking from within a religious construct or not.
The insistence on knowing and proving knowledge in the realm of spirituality is totally antithetical to me and if i'm stupid enough to indulge in such nonsense, i check myself, thank the forum for being a good mirror for my silly ego and split.
I'm free form ... i'm an artist, i don't have a "master" (in the way you assume), i don't give power over to authoritarians of any kind (of which you are one) and i do not give respect to any one based on hierarchy or based on their position within patriarchal systems (or any systems).

When, yet again, your outrageous arrogance emerges and you say that you don't want to inhibit me in my progress (as if you could - god what incredible hubris!) and you've "been there, done that" and you know that if i continue, blah, blah, blah ... there's a possibility that i'll "get to the same spot" you've reached i wanna psychically puke and i'm embarrassed for you.
It's dismissive and it's an attempt to "dis-empower" and it's naughty.
And you assume further when you state what you think i believe is "the goal".
So condescending, patronizing, arrogant and presumptuous and ...
Dude ... Man ... check yourself.

And, i admit, i do not know you either.
I respect your intelligence but i don't judge anyone's spiritual "achievements" based on that. To me if someone doesn't have a good heart and isn't first and foremost devoted to peace (and love), integrity (which includes riqorous honesty with "self"), what they know or think they know is irrelevant.

I initially stated to you that i did not want to argue.
As fun and as stimulating as it can be for the intellectually inclined to argue about religion and spirituality,(or for those who just like to fight and argue) it's an anathema and i don't like to be part of it and try to stay away from this forum because it just oozes toxic b.s ... and i'm embarrassed whenever i partake in the nonsense.

(You need [since you do like to engage in all of this] a forum ... on-line or off where you can be truly challenged ... you're something like "a big fish in a small pond" here)

So, i bid you farewell brother.
You, needless to say, are free to reply but i will not be receiving your words because i will then feel compelled to respond and i don't want to apply my energy toward something that is not bearing fruit.
It's enough.
adieu and ...
Peace-out.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 12-06-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 PM

118 posts, read 180,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
I ask this becuse over my many years of studying buddhism i've noticed that there are way too many similarities between the story of the life of buddha and that of jesus christ. Most can't even be called similarities becuse they are identical. for example buddha's mom Maya conceived buddha immaculatly as did jesus's mom Mary (even the mothers names are similar.) buddha meditated for 40 days and 40 night's before being enlightened all while being tempted by demons as did jesus christ (demons being just one in jesus's case) buddha had 12 original desiples as did jesus christ. And, both returned after there deaths buddha as a spirit and jesus in the flesh but both returned nonetheless. Both where extremely tolerant and peaceful and taught accordingly. Mind you buddha lived 500 years BC. was jesus the future buddha that buddha said would come?

The phylosophy of Tebetan Book Of THe Dead teaches that a Buddhist goes through many different "in betweens" in his life to prepare him for the ultimate in between (death to life). Through compassion, it induces lucidity through the afterlife to the next life. Christians "absorb the deity" of Christ (which is a Hindu phylosophy) throughout his life, and gains the compassion through his death and resurrection, inducing lucidity through the many in-betweens. Weather it is reincarnation, or ressurection, it is a death-to-life in between. The phylosophy and the religion meld perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality