Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 08:19 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,455,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Now about Noah's Ark...

Genesis 6:14-16 So make yourself an ark of cypress [c] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. [d] 16 Make a roof for it and finish [e] the ark to within 18 inches [f] of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks.

Genesis 7:2-3 2 Take with you seven [a] of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth.

~~How many "kinds" of animals are there? is it possible to get that many animals onto a boat that size?
Yes! Why because it happened. It has been estimated that 16,000 animals were on the ark (high end of the estimate). See here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I'm sorry Nikk but this is just false. The molars and premolars in predators are quite ragged which is perfect for slicing through thick morsels of meat and bone but useless for trying to grind up any kind of vegetation.

Herbivores on the other hand have them flat which is perfect for tearing up the fibrous tissue in plants but sucks at trying to get meat.

Species like us are known as omnivores which have some characteristics present on the other 2 that allow us to eat food from both worlds.

No Nikk, each position has it's advantages and disadvantages. Having eyes at the front allow them to focus on one object front 2 angles which produce a nice trigonometric effect that the brain uses to calculate relative distances between objects. The con of eyes in the front is that you can't see whats behind you. Having eyes at the side on the other hand will give you a greater field of vision but will render that method of depth perception useless.

Come on Nikk, this is biology101 here. I'm sure you can find some examples of herbivores or carnivores temporarily changing their eating habits when the going gets tough or when a grandiose opportunity arises but there is a clear cut physical(big emphasis on this word) difference between carnivores and herbivores.

Is that why the mayority of the really big animals happen to be herbivores?
What a coincidence too that all the species with ragged teeth, sharp claws and hunting/pouncing instincts all became carnivores.

Nikk, I can't say I take your apologetics seriously. They almost sound like they have been made up on the spot.

Sigh.

A Carnivore is not defined as an animal that would rather die than eat plants.

A Herbivore is not defined as an animal that would rather die than eat meat.

A left handed person(ie me) is not defined as someone who would rather die than write with the right hand.

Finding a deer that eats a baby bird in order to get some much needed calcium proves that it is not a vegetarian as much as finding me writting(albeit horribly) with my right hand proves I'm not left handed.

Sure, go tell that to all those people whose sole job is to study bones.
See the Archer Fish. This fish has its eyes on the side, yet it has incredibe acuracy at shooting insects out of foliage above the water with a spit of water. They even account for the refraction of water. So, eyes on the side do not necessarily cause you to loose a sense of depth perception.

Coosjoaquin, your ideas are more based in opinion than fact. Don't you think that is defeating the purpose of the discussion?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 AM

418 posts, read 710,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Seriously, I don't know how old you are John, but in the beginning the homosexuals use to call Aids Falwells revenge. The reason for that was because Jerry Falwell use to tell the Gay people that those who choose that life style may receive the punishment from God. Of course they all made fun of him until aids showed up. Of course because the life styles of so many people were involved with drugs and other kinds of sexual pratices, the virse found all kinds of new ways of being spread. Believe me John, I know Christian trying to help homosexuals and others who now have the Aids virus. I know one member of my former church who set up an Aids clinic in Africa to help those over there. This is pretty much the way it goes. Christians warn the people to stay away from such a lifestyle. Then the Christians get dumped on for not being tolerant or open minded. Then after everyone gets sick from their chossen lifestyle. Then the Christians have to spend millions of their dollars to take care of the ones who refused to listen to them in the first place. It is often the Christian fundamentalist who have to clean up the mess, after your free thinkers, and openmindness runs it's course.
Campbell, this is your hero, Jerry Falwell:

"The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'" --on the 9/11 attacks

I understand where you're coming from now. Not only are you a denier of scientific facts, but you're part of the bigoted, fundamentalist wing of Christianity that would rival militant Islam if allowed to set up a Christian theocracy in the United States. Thanks for making that clear.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:45 AM

418 posts, read 710,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
It's not my idea, it is what the bible says happened.
Point out in the bible where it is said that the animals on the Ark only ate plants. Can you cite a source before we continue?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:01 AM

33,646 posts, read 37,349,790 times
Quote:
Yes! Why because it happened. It has been estimated that 16,000 animals were on the ark (high end of the estimate). See here.
So what about the rest of them? Today the are about 4,600 species of mammals, almost 9,000 species of reptiles, more than 10,000 species of birds, 6,400 amphibians...You don't even have to factor in the fact that species are constantly becoming extinct because new species are also emerging.....Not to mention the unknown number of dinosaurs. How about the more than 400,000 species of plant life?

In total it is estimated that there are about 50 million species living on earth today...How do you make that fit with your theory?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:08 AM

Niik, Didn't you say all animals were vegans in that time? Below is a exerpt from the site you linked to....

What Did the Dinosaurs Eat?

Dinosaurs could have eaten basically the same foods as the other animals. The large sauropods could have eaten compressed hay, other dried plant material, seeds and grains, and the like. Carnivorous dinosaurs—if any were meat-eaters before the Flood—could have eaten dried meat, reconstituted dried meat, or slaughtered animals. Giant tortoises would have been ideal to use as food in this regard. They were large and needed little food to be maintained themselves. There are also exotic sources of meat, such as fish that wrap themselves in dry cocoons.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
See the Archer Fish. This fish has its eyes on the side, yet it has incredibe acuracy at shooting insects out of foliage above the water with a spit of water. They even account for the refraction of water. So, eyes on the side do not necessarily cause you to loose a sense of depth perception.

Coosjoaquin, your ideas are more based in opinion than fact. Don't you think that is defeating the purpose of the discussion?
Thanks for the link Nikk....Very interesting little fish, but..

"Archer Fishes are like submarine water pistols and can spit out a strong and accurate jet of water. With their tongue against the groove on the roof of their mouth, they form a tube, and force water powerfully out by snapping shut their gills. To get a good jet of water, the snout sticks out of the water, but the rest of the fish remains underwater. They direct the jet of water with the tip of their tongue. For accurate aim, they have large eyes located very near the mouth, which give good binocular vision."

Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,853,061 times
And those Fishes have a lot of Good Will for the future of Fishkind. One judges the World to be for man equivalent to Fish, and then the Good will may apply to Man.

I capatalize 'Man' just because I can know what you're thinking my dear French Hen.

In France the poltical correct range of debate is with Man the animal on the Right, and Animal the man on the Left.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Point out in the bible where it is said that the animals on the Ark only ate plants. Can you cite a source before we continue?
First, Gen. 1:29: And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
30: And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Then God let man eat flesh after the flood (this allowed man to eat flesh and animals to eat flesh) Gen. 9:3: Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
4: But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So what about the rest of them? Today the are about 4,600 species of mammals, almost 9,000 species of reptiles, more than 10,000 species of birds, 6,400 amphibians...You don't even have to factor in the fact that species are constantly becoming extinct because new species are also emerging.....Not to mention the unknown number of dinosaurs. How about the more than 400,000 species of plant life?

In total it is estimated that there are about 50 million species living on earth today...How do you make that fit with your theory?
You are using the badly defined term "species". The bible refers to Baramim, or Kinds of animals. For example Horse Kind, Dog/Wolf Kind, Elephant Kind, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality