Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 03:24 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am not sure it is entirely due to difficulty to understand. It is fear that the logic actually works, and that shakes their own beliefs. So it is best to thrown everything at the analogy. Whatever works to keep one happy.
Or the logic does not work. Fear has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 03:27 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
I dont see anyone trying to establish a truth in religion, spirituality, or theology. What takes place is elucidating the different perceptions and that is the richness of philosophical thought.
That may be more true of Eastern religions, but may I introduce you to the Abrahamic religions.

Quote:
Materialists may not appreciate this variety and diversity, as they want a simple answer, yes or no. The is no such thing.
Oh, we do appreciate the variety and diversity, that is part of the evidence for why we do not believe.

Old 02-21-2023, 05:15 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That may be more true of Eastern religions, but may I introduce you to the Abrahamic religions.

Oh, we do appreciate the variety and diversity, that is part of the evidence for why we do not believe.
Abrahamic religions also have variety of perceptions and ways of beliefs. Let me introduce you to St.Augustine whose thoughts have been discussed here as well. He is only one of many among all religions, East and West.
Most atheists in the west cling to a very narrow set of Abrahamic beliefs which makes it easy to beat up on. As smart as you are I believe you know this very well. And yet….?

Old 02-21-2023, 08:51 AM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Except science works, and is based on verifiable evidence.
And, in fact, woks because of "clashing minds".

Old 02-21-2023, 09:04 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
I dont see anyone trying to establish a truth in religion, spirituality, or theology. What takes place is elucidating the different perceptions and that is the richness of philosophical thought. Materialists may not appreciate this variety and diversity, as they want a simple answer, yes or no. The is no such thing.
Science of course never deals in truth.
Seems you don't see something I see quite clearly, but what's new?

That last claim of yours is truly rich and no doubt another bait you expect me to take again, but I've learned my lesson about these sorts of claims of yours. Why too does the effort to establish the truth about an important matter necessarily boil down to a simple yes or no? How you DO love ginning up these straw man arguments!

Old 02-21-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I meant inapt, but inept is just as good.

Exactly my point. You can not refute mutually exclusive concepts by using a false analogy about concepts that are NOT mutually exclusive. That is why the analogy is both inapt and inept.
Another adept observation!

Old 02-21-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:

Exactly my point.

A strawberry ice cream is NOT a chocolate one.

Naturally, one can argue you can mix ice cream flavors, but one can not argue a god made everything, everything made gods, every thing is a god and gods do not exist. These 4 positions are mutually exclusive, therefore Tzap's analogy was inapt.
Maybe instead of ice cream, we should consider the example of soda pop; Coca Cola and Pepsi, and how they're getting into the alcohol business (causing some concern among health professionals). Hey, but it used to be cocaine!

A virgin drink is NOT an alcohol one in any case. Either way, don't be inapt or inept about drinking and driving!

Old 02-21-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Or the logic does not work. Fear has nothing to do with it.
Is it logical to think someone who is illogical will see the flaw(s) in their logic?

Old 02-21-2023, 09:18 AM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Seems you don't see something I see quite clearly, but what's new?

That last claim of yours is truly rich and no doubt another bait you expect me to take again, but I've learned my lesson about these sorts of claims of yours. Why too does the effort to establish the truth about an important matter necessarily boil down to a simple yes or no? How you DO love ginning up these straw man arguments!
Actually it is the truth! Ask any scientist. Apparently not the important lessons have been learnt.

Old 02-21-2023, 09:56 AM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Actually it is the truth! Ask any scientist. Apparently not the important lessons have been learnt.
Some people wouldn't know science if they tripped over it. But I'm sure you use science when you get sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality