Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2023, 07:21 AM

22,247 posts, read 19,253,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am not sure it is entirely due to difficulty to understand. It is fear that the logic actually works, and that shakes their own beliefs. So it is best to thrown everything at the analogy. Whatever works to keep one happy.
good point. that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 09:13 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
When asked for scientific qualification people try to give scientific answers.

You can't demand scientific proof, have people try to answer you and then claim the religious are "trying to use science."

You can't have it all ways.

You know by now God can't be proven scientifically and science can't disprove God so why keep sawing away? What ARE you proving? That you can't stand that some people believe in and derive comfort from something that doesn't give you comfort? That says more about you, frankly, than about God OR the religious, just saying.

And I am saying it as someone who has been there.
I agree with Tzap about this...

When something can't be proven by way of science, no one should suggest or try otherwise unless they are prepared for the scrutiny that is sure to follow, and no doubt fail just like all previous attempts. You might as well be trying to swim in a pool that doesn't have any water in it.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the reality is, that science is not theology.
and remains an inadequate tool to address theology.

the reality also is that different ideas about anything, including science, do not render the various ideas "mutually exclusive" and "inadequate."
there exist different races and different cultures and different languages spoken. they are not "mutually exclusive." nor are they "inadequate."
they are just different. humans that may look different, speak different, and have different customs. but all humans.
a variety yes. "mutually exclusive and inadequate" no.

same with theology.
On the other hand or coming to think of it...

Science has done a lot in terms of helping me to understand theology. What it is and what it isn't.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Spot on
Why would we ever think that everyone should think alike in any field of inquiry - such as theology and philosophy. That we think differently an disagree and debate is strength not a weakness.
Yes. We're free to think differently and obviously people do. Even within the same professional circles, but it's not simply free thinking that is necessarily the issue. When instead of just enjoying the freedom to think differently there is a cause or need to establish what is the truth about a particular matter, then it takes more than just free thinking to arrive at a worthy answer.

I hope there is no need to provide examples to get general agreement about this simple truth as well...

Old 02-20-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I agree. Every person has his or her own path but ultimately the destination is the same. What resonates with me may not resonate with the next person. Ergo...choices. Just my belief.
I believe the end is the same generally speaking, but the destination?

Is this a claim or a truth?

Old 02-20-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, the destination is not the same for all paths.
Or as I've noted in this forum before, "any path will get you there if you don't know where you're going."

Old 02-20-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hate when I catch my own. Fortunately, I have an advantage most of you don't--unlimited editing time!
Which reminds me of a question I have long pondered...

How long do we have before editing a comment is no longer possible?

Old 02-20-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i agree. many of the grievances, struggles, complaints aired by those who object to sacred texts, stem from the difficulty which literalists and materialists have with understanding stacked meaning, metaphor, paradox, and analogy.

for instance if divinity, the sacred, or even the understanding of a passage, eludes them, they claim it is an illusion. And thus they allude to the text or those discussing the meaning of the text, as inept. or inapt.
Some of what you explain here is true. Some of it goes on, but there is a good deal more about what some of us have explained that involves or deserves more credit than you and more than a few others are ever able to even consider let alone understand or appreciate. There's that dynamic always in play here too. Just saying...

Old 02-20-2023, 09:29 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Which reminds me of a question I have long pondered...

How long do we have before editing a comment is no longer possible?
I don't remember, but it is in the FAQ's and/or About The Forum. Someone asked recently there. Let me see if I can find it.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:30 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,025,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I believe the end is the same generally speaking, but the destination?

Is this a claim or a truth?
Well, it's a claim. I can't prove it, it is just what resonates with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality