Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 08:55 AM

51,521 posts, read 24,873,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I watch a fair amount of basketball, especially as it gets close to the finals. Good for me since I'm a Warriors fan, and the Warriors get to the finals pretty often. Curry who is considered by many to be the GOAT, makes the sign of the cross every time he makes a shot...

"I try to use every game as an opportunity to witness. I try to do a little signal every time I make a shot as a way to preach the message in little ways that I can," Curry revealed. "Each game is an opportunity to be on a great stage and be a witness for Christ. When I step on the floor, people should know who I represent, who I believe in."

"Whatever works" as I always like to say! And boy does it work for Curry on the court! Except for the preaching. I'm not sure how well that's working for him with others. I doubt he's enjoying the number of wins with others in that respect as he is able to provide the Warriors in any case, but who knows?
Since I don't follow basketball, I just read his bio on Wikipedia. Seems like a very good person. So if I were Curry and were actually thinking about it, I'd be wondering why so many sleezeballs in professional sports are so very successful, making MILLIONS of dollars (my favorite player will make $32 million next year). Doesn't seem to be a matter of dedication to christianity.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:08 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,563,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
... I'd be wondering why so many sleezeballs in professional sports are so very successful, making MILLIONS of dollars (my favorite player will make $32 million next year). Doesn't seem to be a matter of dedication to christianity.
Don't you think we all get what we need? I do...
A pauper gets exactly what he needs to grow or to reap what was sowed in another life (to grow, also).
A wealthy person gets what he needs -this life. Next one, maybe different! Ha!

It all seems perfect...whether I find $100 bill on ground (I have done that) or I lose money on the stock market, (I've done that).
All's perfect.There's always a bigger picture behind the curtain.
My take anyway.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-19-2022 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: correcting tipos

Old 10-19-2022, 09:23 AM

29,702 posts, read 9,899,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
A pauper gets exactly what he needs to grow or to reap what was sowed in another life (to grow, also).

It all seems perfect...whether I find $100 bill on ground (I have done that) or I lose money on the stock market, (I've done that).
My take anyway.
I sure wish everyone could or would get what they need. Unfortunately, far too many people don't, but again I don't blame or credit any of that sort of thing to a god. As for the next life, we'll all have to wait and see about that.

For me right now, I need to sign off...

Old 10-19-2022, 09:31 AM

51,521 posts, read 24,873,764 times
Quote:

My take anyway.
Having spent time in the third world (but also seeing some people's lives right here in the US)...no.

Old 10-19-2022, 01:00 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,563,083 times
Default do we get what we need, good or bad, to grow and learn?

Well, I did (get what I needed to grow). The day I was born (I was told) til the day my father died
I was emotionally abused...not my sister! Just little blued-eyed, blonde me.
I prayed to forgive him I didn't wanna carry that anger around, plus it was affecting my relationships. Went to therapy, and so on.
Prayer answered; took long enough!

One Sat. morning doing a chore suddenly out of nowhere, I had another one of my wacky, 'visions' that stun me. Breathless, I was shown the Agreement my father and I made!!!!!! Huh?
He was SUCH a close buddy, not some monster abuser - that he offered to be my mean father to teach me
''once and for all'', his words...to stop treating people the way I did.
Trust me, his words towards me were brutal as a 4 yr old thru my teens and a young adult...the ridicule, sarcasm, disgust in me were profound.
Guess what, made me a nice person.
My enemy was not an enemy at all...no forgiveness needed anymore. Another prayer ans'd to stay on topic.

But, I get that this would be an intellectual exercise only for someone that did
not actually have this experience.
Nothing is ever what it seems.

Old 10-20-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Well, I did (get what I needed to grow). The day I was born (I was told) til the day my father died
I was emotionally abused...not my sister! Just little blued-eyed, blonde me.
I prayed to forgive him I didn't wanna carry that anger around, plus it was affecting my relationships. Went to therapy, and so on.
Prayer answered; took long enough!

One Sat. morning doing a chore suddenly out of nowhere, I had another one of my wacky, 'visions' that stun me. Breathless, I was shown the Agreement my father and I made!!!!!! Huh?
He was SUCH a close buddy, not some monster abuser - that he offered to be my mean father to teach me
''once and for all'', his words...to stop treating people the way I did.
Trust me, his words towards me were brutal as a 4 yr old thru my teens and a young adult...the ridicule, sarcasm, disgust in me were profound.
Guess what, made me a nice person.
My enemy was not an enemy at all...no forgiveness needed anymore. Another prayer ans'd to stay on topic.

But, I get that this would be an intellectual exercise only for someone that did
not actually have this experience.
Nothing is ever what it seems.
I am very sorry to read about this experience you have gone through, although it seems you feel all the better for it in the end...

Coincidentally, my wife and I were discussing over lunch yesterday how these traumas people go through at a young age can have all manner of different effects on people. Causing them either to "go south," or perhaps become all the better people as a result. We were recalling examples of people we know, my father-in-law. My father. Our orphaned brother-in-law. The story in the book my wife is now reading; "Funny Farm: My Unexpected Life with 600 Rescue Animals," by Laurie Zaleski.

True tragic stories that forever demonstrate how we are all challenged by life one way or another. Some of us in far more extreme ways than others. My compliments to you and all the others who manage to "push through" those tough circumstances and become better people rather than worse. No matter how they manage to do so. All the best to you.

Last edited by LearnMe; 10-20-2022 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-21-2022, 06:04 AM

5,923 posts, read 3,839,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I hope you are able to untangle yourself from these problems that can be horribly frustrating. I'd pray for you, but..., well..., you know I'm an atheist. Still, I feel for you and wish you all the luck with all that. Just remember, "this too shall pass."
LOL yes, "this too shall pass" Thanks, I have not gotten the theft or the takeover of my Google account resolved yet, I 've never seen such a determined criminal. The only thing I can do at this point is delete my current account and start over. Google has been absolutely no help, no phone number, can't speak to a live person. I have to get a new phone (NEVER get a refurbished phone, long story) and I will be switching carriers. I have no clue how they hacked into my account so don't know who to blame.

Well, I have a little time so I can respond to a couple of posts, maybe. Thanks LearnMe.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:18 AM

5,923 posts, read 3,839,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I always think of it this way.

There are two sides fighting each other in a war. Both sides ask God to step in and help them win the war. How ridiculous is that?

I think we think that God is some benevolent creature who makes judgements FOR one side and AGAINST the other side, but how can that be?

Some would say that the side who believes more or who follows the rules better or who prays harder, or who sacrifices more lambs, or bigger bulls is the one he/she/it is going to favour. Again, this is ridiculous.

It all comes down to how you (each of us) understands the way the Universe works and obviously the religous amongst you are going to have a different (and possibly ridiculous - see above) way of looking at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Forget about war. You can apply the same thinking to sporting events.
It's a good analogy, you could insert just about anything into that statement to make your point. What seems ridiculous to the non-religious is very important to the religious. They absolutely think, whichever god or gods they worship, that they are correct in their thinking. No doubt in their minds, or so they say.

It just seems that the religious are fighting a losing battle, numbers have dropped off and it's a race to win back the lost. It's been my experience that the louder they protest, the less faith they have. I really do think that some of the posters here are seriously questioning and doubting their beliefs, why would someone get so angry with atheists unless they had some doubts? What crime have we committed by not believing in fairy tales?

Old 10-21-2022, 08:07 AM

20,326 posts, read 13,717,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
It just seems that the religious are fighting a losing battle, numbers have dropped off and it's a race to win back the lost. It's been my experience that the louder they protest, the less faith they have. I really do think that some of the posters here are seriously questioning and doubting their beliefs, why would someone get so angry with atheists unless they had some doubts? What crime have we committed by not believing in fairy tales?
It is my view that religious assertions are best believed / subscribed to when you don't think about them too much. To passively not agree, actively not agree, or to *gasp* question their beliefs requires them to go to their empty well of answers / evidence and yes that angers them. The way they experience it is as "rudeness" or "divisiveness" or "disrespect" or even, at a primal level, an assault on their very identity. This lets them identify us, rather than the poor basis for their beliefs, as the primary difficulty or threat.

So the crime we commit is the crime of thinking unapproved thoughts, ultimately.

Old 10-21-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
LOL yes, "this too shall pass" Thanks, I have not gotten the theft or the takeover of my Google account resolved yet, I 've never seen such a determined criminal. The only thing I can do at this point is delete my current account and start over. Google has been absolutely no help, no phone number, can't speak to a live person. I have to get a new phone (NEVER get a refurbished phone, long story) and I will be switching carriers. I have no clue how they hacked into my account so don't know who to blame.

Well, I have a little time so I can respond to a couple of posts, maybe. Thanks LearnMe.
I recently received a text from our credit card company to confirm whether I had just made a charge of over $1,400. I replied no, and they immediately cancelled my card. Also advised they would send me a new one ASAP, and in the meantime of course, I'm without a card. Fortunately I have other ones...

Not anything like the frustration or inconvenience you are describing, but I for one would definitely cancel everything and start over without hesitation. Cut off that criminal from everything they have to work with ASAP. A definite hassle, and why we're always warned to take all manner of precautions to protect our accounts, but ultimately these bastards have their ways, and we're forever having to deal with the "bad apples" among us.

Again lo siento and good luck with all that...

Last edited by LearnMe; 10-21-2022 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality