Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 10:42 AM

16,814 posts, read 5,020,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Can't speak for all atheists, and I prefer not to, but I for one can tell you I had nothing but good experiences with God when I was thinking I was having experiences with God. No bad experiences or disdain whatsoever! I simply began questioning what I thought I was experiencing in more of a critical thinking fashion. I couldn't help but do so as I got older. Ultimately over time I became an atheist as a result. No hard feelings with God whatsoever. Seems He's just not there is all...
I did not respond because I also had no bad religious experiences.

The idea that we are angry at God or are scarred by religion is just an excuse by those unable to make a rational argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

28,432 posts, read 11,616,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
...or, because our ancestors (that is, the Neanderthals, etc.) DID understand that there IS God.

Where did the earliest humans get the notion that their own kind should be buried?

Where did the whole idea of God come from in the first place?

Because I KNOW it wasn't from the Sumerians....It was WELL BEFORE that.
again, its not about thinking things like "something more". "something more" fit observations. I don't believe its a deity or anything like it, but I can see how some people could misunderstand it.

Its more about things like "our something more is telling people that if they don't follow Jesus dies and rose it will punish you."

29,555 posts, read 9,768,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Is not the existence or lack of existence of any gods just a belief or a personal opinion?
Not sure I understand you question, but really? You would blur the line between facts and personal opinion in this way?

Lack of evidence can be considered a matter of opinion, yes, until the evidence is considered and properly determined to be either lack of evidence or sufficient evidence to prove something is true or not true. Or would you suggest that a claim you are a murderer is simply a matter of personal opinion? Called upon to determine whether you are a murderer, and we don't all agree the evidence needs to be demonstrated? "Beyond a reasonable doubt?" Or the claim can be dismissed as unjustified. Wrong.

Same with claims god exists. No more no less...

"Innocent until proven otherwise."

Or you might say fiction until proven otherwise in the case of God claims. Until proven true...

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-31-2020 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-31-2020, 10:46 AM

50,979 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Someone awhile back got on my case for suggesting they "think about it." Was considered some sort of insult, but no worries. None taken, but I have thought about it. Why I commented what I did...

Epstein is a good example of how someone can do enough bad to essentially negate the good. Lots of examples that demonstrate when and how that can happen. Just as many examples, however, when people make mistakes or do bad things that really should not negate all the good they have done or all the good they are about. I'm actually not sure any human can say they have not done something bad, but should that be the ultimate measure of who they are? I really don't think so...

Gandhi is revered the world over for what he did on behalf of his people, but he is known to have expressed racist comments. Jimmy Fallon recently apologized for doing a blackface skit on SNL a good many years ago. JFK was not faithful to his wife. I haven't always been an angel all my life either, but do I need to be measured by the worst I've done? What about the rest?

If you better get my meaning now? Think about it...
This little sub-thread began when Arach said, "if I list only the bad that you do. Is that a proper/fair way to judge you?" And what I'm pointing out is that we have to look at the whole person. And this reminds me of funerals I have gone to when someone gives the eulogy and suddenly this "very human" man or woman is remembered as having been a living saint.

I don't want to judge people based on the good they do while ignoring the bad. I don't want to judge people based on the bad they do while ignoring the good. I want to take a look at the whole person -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
...or, because our ancestors (that is, the Neanderthals, etc.) DID understand that there IS God.

Where did the earliest humans get the notion that their own kind should be buried?
To cut down on the stink of putrefying flesh. And to protect the corpse from being preyed upon by animals.

Quote:

That's an easy one. God(s) "explained" phenomena that our primitive ancestors couldn't understand. Lightning crashed and volcanoes erupted and floods occurred because the god(s) were angry. Rainbows and good harvests were because the god(s) were pleased.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure giving neanderthals credit for our first notions about god is very good proof of a god or helps your case much. Just saying...

Seems you see our earliest conjuring of gods as proof there is a god, but I see only the ignorance that had us believing lots of wild things back then, long since proven false!

How in the world can you draw conclusion our custom of burying the dead comes from god? This is another new one to me. Even animals don't crap in their own den. Why WOULDN'T people bury dead people? Found out early on dead people tend to stink up the place! Not to mention other customs like mummification, pyres...

9 FASCINATING BURIAL CUSTOMS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
https://www.frazerconsultants.com/20...-around-world/

Please...

Old 05-31-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasmadenew View Post
You don’t think God exists. Is that fact or just your personal opinion?
The same in reverse can be said to you.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Is not the existence or lack of existence of any gods just a belief or a personal opinion?
Exactly

Old 05-31-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
exactly ... we can talk about using the word god. But can't ignore the tree is there and it is all natural. Now for religion and spirituality we need to talk about things that are less clear.

Lets use dark matter as an example. based on the observations what would you say is there?
I'd say...

"Dark matter is a form of matter thought to account for approximately 85% of the matter in the universe and about a quarter of its total energy density or about. kg per cubic meter."

Again, what am I missing? Or is this another trick question?

I'd also say it's past time for me to sign off now...

Old 05-31-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Because as the bodies rotted it stunk?

Because as the bodies lay there it attracted wild animals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality