Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:41 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,838,232 times

Advertisements

No one uses Flood Geology when exploring for oil. It is no more than "folk-science." This is just embarrassing.

Last edited by PanTerra; 04-22-2008 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:00 PM

33,573 posts, read 37,198,452 times
How do creationists explain away the huge deposits of fossil fuels that drive the world's economy...Surely the coal, oil and gas weren't deposited in just a few thousand years.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:29 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,943,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The Bible says in Genesis 7:20; "Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered." A cubit is 1.5' aproximately. So the bible says that 15 cubits was all that was required to cover the high mountains.
jesus christ thats a mere 6.75 meters!! What so now there weren't even hills in noahs time? wait what about the animals that live on top of the trees in the jungle? Were there only bonzai trees back then too? This is the typical hole that only gives out more questions the more you dig in. Dunno who is more detached from reality, the guy who wrote about the flood or the people who actually think this is true in any way.

Anyways just for the sake of it here is the maths:

4<pi>/3[(6400000+6.75)^3-6400000^3]=3.47x10^15 m^3

thus we have 3,470,000,000,000 liters of water magically unacounted for. Heck even if you found a 303 km wide planet made purely of water, there are so many other insanities regarding the deluge that make it totally false

Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,641,043 times
Nikk wrote:
Quote:
I just posted the quote from the bible saying that the mountains were covered with 15 cubits. We measure mountains today and they are taller than 15 cubits. So The mountains of Noah's time were small than mountains today.
I can't believe you're still carrying on with this ridiculous argument. The Bible refers to high mountains and the obvious meaning is that the highest peaks had 15 cubits of water above the summits, not that it only took 15 fifteen cubits of water above sea level to completely cover them up. Fifteen cubits isn't a mountain. My back yard has a steep slope and is taller than that. You should have just let this silly thing drop after I pointed out that passage in Genesis about high mountains. Trees often grow taller than that! Seriously Nikk, I'll bet the other creationists are even wincing at this.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:56 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,943,837 times
hehe soon they'll be telling us the earth was concave

Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,444,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
hehe soon they'll be telling us the earth was concave
The bible does not mention this, so why would I. I have only been using the bible a the source for my arguement. Since the flood history is derived from the bible they it only serves reason to use this source.

The arguement that I have made is that the earth had smaller mountains in the past. This would throw out the calculations for all those planet size volumes of water that are needed to cover modern mountains. The next arguement I gave was that all of the water for the flood is found in the oceans. So we don't need to wonder where all of the water went to.

I don't care if any other Christian or Creationist follows my line of thinking.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
jesus christ thats a mere 6.75 meters!! What so now there weren't even hills in noahs time? wait what about the animals that live on top of the trees in the jungle? Were there only bonzai trees back then too? This is the typical hole that only gives out more questions the more you dig in. Dunno who is more detached from reality, the guy who wrote about the flood or the people who actually think this is true in any way.

Anyways just for the sake of it here is the maths:

4<pi>/3[(6400000+6.75)^3-6400000^3]=3.47x10^15 m^3

thus we have 3,470,000,000,000 liters of water magically unacounted for. Heck even if you found a 303 km wide planet made purely of water, there are so many other insanities regarding the deluge that make it totally false
This is the volume of earth's water: Volume of Earth's Water. There is more than enough water there.

The bible does not say that the oceans remained full. This is where the water came from and where it went. Some is contained in the polar ice caps.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,838,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The bible does not mention this, so why would I. I have only been using the bible a the source for my arguement. Since the flood history is derived from the bible they it only serves reason to use this source.

The arguement that I have made is that the earth had smaller mountains in the past.
Of course, the Bible doesn't mention this either.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
not to mention the arks too tiny to carry every species ever know
Spicies is a modern term. Noah took "Kinds" of animals on to the ark. That would include "Dog/Wolf Kind", "Horse/Zebra/Donkey Kind", etc...

After the flood from the dog/wolf kind we get all of the variety that we see today from the Great Dane to the Dachshund.

Also the ark was a lot larger than most people think. It is not the tiny little boat seen on nursery walls, but a large boat comparable to modern freight liners.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Of course, the Bible doesn't mention this either.
The bible does not mention alot of things directly that is why we have an area of study called Theology.

Theology is where we derive ideas about the nature of God etc. from the text. For example the Trinity.

Unfortunately the Trinity is not mentioned in the bible but is deduced from scripture. There are other parts of God mentioned in the bible but we have not added to the theology. For example one area of study might be the Seven Spirits of God that reside before the throne of God. What are they? Angels or part of the Holy Spirit? So it is through a study of the scriptures that one can determine what was being refered to.

The bible does however say alot of things that is why a study of scripture is possible. Since the bible is truth the things mentioned in the bible can be studied closely to see the underlying truth. This can include where oil might be found on the modern earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality