Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:03 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,868 times

Advertisements

From the creation museum thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
the flood, question, the bible says it didnt rain before the flood, how do you explain the absence of rings in trees from that time period, rings are caused by rain, there are no rings in trees from that time period.
Tree rings first. To say that rings are caused by rain is partly true. Here is a quote from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conifers.org
Most tree rings are light-colored on the inside and dark-colored on the outside; this alternation of light and dark is what makes the ring easy to see. The change in color occurs because early in the growing season, the tree produces large cells; as the growing season goes on, drought stress causes the tree to produce smaller cells. Because the cells are smaller, there is proportionally more cell wall material, and this causes the cells to appear darker. If there is a period of renewed rainfall in the latter part of the growing season, the tree may start to produce big cells again, and then small cells a bit later on as drought stress resumes.
Now, as I read it the rings are caused by high growth, followed by low growth. Without rain, there is actually NO growth. So to say that it did not rain before the flood causes christians problems, as this pretty much means Noah would not have had trees from which to make the ark.

But, all of these pesky facts aside, let me ask you one. Where do you get your information that trees of a certain era do not have tree rings? I have never seen this at all.

And let me throw one back at you. After the flood, where did all the water go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 03:11 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
From the creation museum thread:

Tree rings first. To say that rings are caused by rain is partly true. Here is a quote from here.

Now, as I read it the rings are caused by high growth, followed by low growth. Without rain, there is actually NO growth. So to say that it did not rain before the flood causes christians problems, as this pretty much means Noah would not have had trees from which to make the ark.

But, all of these pesky facts aside, let me ask you one. Where do you get your information that trees of a certain era do not have tree rings? I have never seen this at all.

And let me throw one back at you. After the flood, where did all the water go?
Here is the pointfor me, I dont HAVE to understand everything from a worldly view to believe it happened, as far as my info about the trees, let me find it and Ill let you have a look at it.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Here is the pointfor me, I dont HAVE to understand everything from a worldly view to believe it happened, as far as my info about the trees, let me find it and Ill let you have a look at it.
This is why christians lack credibility in debate (from my point of view). Belief trumps fact, yet they do trot out facts when they think that the facts might bolster their belief.

Essentially treating facts as a commodity to be used when convenient, and otherwise ignored and discarded.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:30 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,970 times
Quote:
This is why christians lack credibility in debate (from my point of view). Belief trumps fact, yet they do trot out facts when they think that the facts might bolster their belief.

Essentially treating facts as a commodity to be used when convenient, and otherwise ignored and discarded.
Actually, your right, I find myself doing this sometimes, without realizing it, I believe the Bible, but will throw out some facts or data just to see where it goes, even though my opinion wont be changed either way.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:22 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
There's a number of problems with the flood scenario. One of the obvious ones is where did the water come from and where did it go after the flood? There is a finite amount of water on the earth and there simply isn't enough of it to flood the entire planet.
Another problem that's huge is the fact that there's absolutely no physical evidence of a flood that covered the globe. There's many regional floods that have occured and left evidence but that's all.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:34 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
There's a number of problems with the flood scenario. One of the obvious ones is where did the water come from and where did it go after the flood? There is a finite amount of water on the earth and there simply isn't enough of it to flood the entire planet.
Another problem that's huge is the fact that there's absolutely no physical evidence of a flood that covered the globe. There's many regional floods that have occured and left evidence but that's all.

For a flood to have occurred that massive and only happening 6000 years ago, would leave far more telling signs.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:40 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
A finite amount of water? It rained. Where did it go? It dried out.
There is evidence of the flood. . they even believe they found remnents of the Ark.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
A finite amount of water? It rained. Where did it go? It dried out.
There is evidence of the flood. . they even believe they found remnents of the Ark.
Basic science. Water has three states of matter. Solid (ice), liquid (water), and gaseous (clouds). If all of the water in our atmosphere and on our planet were liquid, there would not be enough to flood the planet as genesis tells.

So, where is the rest? You cannot simply say dried out like you are talking about your garden.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:46 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,491 times
Quote:
Basic science. Water has three states of matter. Solid (ice), liquid (water), and gaseous (clouds). If all of the water in our atmosphere and on our planet were liquid, there would not be enough to flood the planet as genesis tells.

So, where is the rest? You cannot simply say dried out like you are talking about your garden.
If one believes that God created the world it isn't much of a leap to believe that he could flood HIS world. He caused it to rain. Alot.
Why is it so hard for you to believe this when you believe a "big bang" created the earth?

Old 05-29-2007, 04:52 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,422,817 times
As for where the water came from: It came from above and from below. The springs of the deep burst forth, and rain fell from the sky.

As for where the water went: Surely some of it evaporated back into clouds, but much of it may have actually settled into depressions that became the world's oceans. Think about it.....vast amount of underground water reservoirs that suddenly burst forth from the deep. The cavernous structures may have supported shallow seas above them, and those sea floors could have been vast stretches of rock and soil above the springs of the deep. Those sea floors may have been miles higher than current ocean floors - perhaps only a little lower than what we consider our current sea level - but upon being emptied of their waters, those caverns later collapsed into what became the ocean floors. The receding waters would have filled those depressions and allowed dry land to once again appear on the planet. Is that not something that currently happens with some volcanoes? Does not the ground heave up, spew out the lava from above, and then collapse upon itself, leaving bodies of water as a result? Don't scientists even think there is water beneath the surface of Mars? Why is it such a leap to think that the same situation may have been present on earth at some point in the past?

When you believe in an invisible God who is spirit, and capable of doing anything, it becomes easier to see how the global flood could have occurred. When you don't believe in God, you can't conceive of the possibilities.

Last edited by Pathwalker; 05-29-2007 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality