Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,752,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art R View Post
...I have read Joshua 10 and it does not mention the word "miracle". It says that Joshua ask God to still the sun and God answered his prayer.
And you don't think that's a *miracle* ??

(The very fact that God hears and answers individual prayer is a miracle).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,489,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Are you really expecting or interested in receiving a response to this post? Or do you just want to make fun of Christian's beliefs?
No, I am dead serious. I have never heard a valid response to this. The way I understand it God said to gather up all the animals on earth two by two and put them on a boat. Obviously, creationists believe that dinosaurs and man walked together on earth. Heck it's even in the new museum. So, with that being said, obviously there were dinosaurs when Noah built the Ark. So did Noah just skip the dinosaurs? Or did he put them on the boat and the T-Rex calmed down and didn't eat everything? There is no mention in the bible ANYWHERE as to how the dinosaurs were wiped out. I have heard some say the flood did it. Ok well than why didn't Noah gather up ALL the animals like he was supposed to? Or were they like the Unicorn and Chubacabra's he forgot to pick up?? Some say they became extinct after the flood. Once again, how did he manage to get a T-Rex on board without it eating the whole stock of animals? Just curious because the bible mentions nothing about gathering up the dinosaurs or not gathering up the dinosaurs that supposedly co-existed with humans!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:02 PM

124 posts, read 397,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And you don't think that's a *miracle* ??

(The very fact that God hears and answers individual prayer is a miracle).
Why would you think that something I don't believe happened is a miracle? It is a non event for me.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:44 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,431,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I didn't see this edit at first.

No, my goal is not to change your mind. (Edit: Thinking harder about this, what would my goal be, at least on this board specifically? I suppose it would be to let Christians know that their way is not the only way...and that worshipping in your own way is one thing..."spreading" the word that people are going to hell is quite another, and in fact, an intrusion. I suppose that's why my hair-trigger response to many of the Christian ideas here. You notice that we see a ton of Christians, a bunch of either agnostics or atheists...but how many Jews? I believe we have none. How many Muslims? I believe that would be zero. Wiccans? They disappear in a heartbeat after they're preached to endlessly on their intro threads. Christianity seeks to *dominate*, to override...and what could have been a really cool discussion board is rather a battle of "here's some science" vs. "you can't understand since you don't have the holy spirit and are going to hell, but oh, I'll pray for you." But I digress...)

The reason I came on here initially was that I was following other people I knew and had already been talking to on the Politics and Other Controversies board. I hadn't sought a Religion board. I was on the Politics board. And on that board, over, and over...and OVER again, Christianity posts popped up.

Obviously the posters themselves, Christians, knew their questions were going to cause controversy, or else, well, they wouldn't have been on a board that had the word "controversies" in it...right? So who was the one deliberately stirring the pot? It was the Christians...who seem to enjoy infiltrating every possible walk of life. It was, as usual, like an assault. If you were on the P&OC board previously, then you fully know what I mean. I'm telling you that at times, half the front page would literally be about God and Christianity. It was relentless. And aggressive.

Then the person would start getting negative replies to the gentle questions of "aren't you afraid since you're going to hell?" and would say, "See? I KNEW I'd get negative responses. It's because we as Christians (sniffle) are meant to be persecuted."

WHAAAAAAAAAT?

So...when this board was created, I followed over, curious to see what was still going on, since some lively debates had been sparked originally, as I said, on a board that didn't even have the word "Religion" in it. And as someone always searching to get closer to God, I am in fact interested when I see a thread pop up about religion. But again, and again, and again, it's an endless stream of condemnations.

I could easily just leave it alone, and feel much better. But then again, so could you, if you're so certain of your own beliefs. What's *your* reason for coming onto an obviously religiously controversial board instead of a Christian one?

And by the way...I'm not a dude.

I fear you have acquired an image of Christianity that is a flawed. But it's not your fault. Please believe me when I tell you that.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to know what I think Christianity is really about. And I won't be preachy.

And oh yeah, I'm sorry I sounded like a snot with my "dude" comment in the last line of my post. That was uncalled for.

P.S. Just a couple of quick notes: It's not that we Christians are MEANT to be persecuted. We were just told that we WOULD be persecuted. And generally, we are. But we weren't told we would be persecuted because of what we DO, or how we ACT, or what we SAY. The persecution would be because of what we BELIEVE. And it is.

And as for why I came here to the "Religions" board, instead of a Christian site.....well, I usually try to stay away from Religious discussions anymore. There are simply FAR TOO MANY different interpretations among Christians, and it quite frankly makes me sick. Another reason I don't go to Christian sites is because I find them to be cold, hypocritical, and all too quick to allow wolves into the field of sheep.

Nevertheless, I involve myself in an occasional religious thread from time to time, because I slip up and think maybe something I say could be beneficial to someone, somehow. If I can make someone think about something from a different POV, or hopefully inspire them in some way, then I say something. Isn't that basically why ANY of us are here? I'd like to think that I can be of some good in my otherwise worthless life.

Anyway, you shoot me that PM, if you're interested.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:08 AM

posted by ILNC: In Joshua, God prolonged the day by a miracle and His intervention turned the tide of the battle for His people.

QUOTE=Art R;[i]I have read Joshua 10 and it does not mention the word "miracle". It says that Joshua ask God to still the sun and God answered his prayer.

Southward: And you don't think that's a *miracle* ??

[/quote]Art R: Why would you think that something I don't believe happened is a miracle? It is a non event for me.[/quote]

Then why are you arguing about a non-event that you don't believe happened in the first place, and pointing out that you didn't see the word "miracle" in somebody's response?

Last edited by swbtoo; 05-31-2007 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: add quotes

Old 05-31-2007, 06:56 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,587,583 times
Whether or not a person believes the account of Noah and the flood the Bible tells us in Genesis that in the beginning, the earth was covered with water, because on the third day he gathered the water together and let the dry ground appear. I learned years ago that we cannot make (create) water, and that all the water on this earth has been "recycled" since the beginnig of time. I do not take the word "day" in the creation theory as meaning 24 hours. Could have been millions or billions.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
posted by ILNC: In Joshua, God prolonged the day by a miracle and His intervention turned the tide of the battle for His people.

QUOTE=Art R;[i]I have read Joshua 10 and it does not mention the word "miracle". It says that Joshua ask God to still the sun and God answered his prayer.

Southward: And you don't think that's a *miracle* ??
Art R: Why would you think that something I don't believe happened is a miracle? It is a non event for me.[/quote]

Then why are you arguing about a non-event that you don't believe happened in the first place, and pointing out that you didn't see the word "miracle" in somebody's response? [/quote]

You should go back and read from the start and then perhaps you will get it.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,803,919 times
Default Joshua's Long Day

Joshua 10:11–13 reads:
"And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Beth-horon, that the Lord cast down great stones from heaven upon them unto Azekah, and they died...Then spake Joshua to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and He said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher?2 So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day."

Now, people say this can't happen. Others say it's not impossible for God who created everything to slow the rotation of the earth long enough to allow this to happen (one possible explanation). We may not know how God did it, but his Word says he did, and I believe it even if we don't understand the exact mechanisms used to accomplish it.

And note the passage indicates the moon was stayed also. So this passage does not support geocentrism. It is an account from Joshua's perspective on the earth, just like we say "sunrise" or "sunset". If it was all about needing extra sunlight, and ancient scientitsts believed the sun moved not the earth, a ficticious account would only need to mention the sun stopped not the moon. Indicating both the sun and moon stopped indicates it is the earth that moves, not the sun (heliocentrism) and supports the authorship of God.

Also, consider this. Since the events of Joshua 10 are historical, there was a long day in Israel, there must be legends of a long night in cultures on the other side of the world; right? Well, there is a myth from the New Zealand Maori people that says their hero slowed the sun before it rose. Also, the Mexican Annals of Cuauhtitlan, a history of the empire of Culhuacan and Mexico, records a night that continued an extended time.

So, from my perspective, there is outside corroborating records to attest to Joshua's long day as recorded in the Bible. There's my not-so-blind faith revealed.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art R View Post
Art R: Why would you think that something I don't believe happened is a miracle? It is a non event for me.
Then why are you arguing about a non-event that you don't believe happened in the first place, and pointing out that you didn't see the word "miracle" in somebody's response? [/quote]

[/quote]

Oh, I get it all right. All you do is pick on words - I don't see a sincere attempt to analyze them and understand them. I see your purpose summed up in this from an earlier post of yours:

You can find many Christian apologists that will give you different explanations. Those explanations are absolutely necessary in order for an intelligent Christian to believe the Bible. Without them, the Bible is what it really is, a fairy tale.

You are saying that those who believe the Bible without explanations that satisfy you are not intelligent. That's not very nice.

p.s. and please don't yell at me in red letters just because you can't answer my question. I understand where you're coming from, - but try to be nice huh?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Then why are you arguing about a non-event that you don't believe happened in the first place, and pointing out that you didn't see the word "miracle" in somebody's response?

[/quote]

Oh, I get it all right. All you do is pick on words - I don't see a sincere attempt to analyze them and understand them. I see your purpose summed up in this from an earlier post of yours:

You can find many Christian apologists that will give you different explanations. Those explanations are absolutely necessary in order for an intelligent Christian to believe the Bible. Without them, the Bible is what it really is, a fairy tale.

You are saying that those who believe the Bible without explanations that satisfy you are not intelligent. That's not very nice.

p.s. and please don't yell at me in red letters just because you can't answer my question. I understand where you're coming from, - but try to be nice huh?[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't know that red was "yelling", only all caps. Anyway, have a ncie life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality