Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 AM

33,638 posts, read 37,321,773 times

Advertisements

I watched a documentary on Noah's flood last evening....It shows to me how a disaster can become a myth.

National Geographic: Noah’s Flood/Black Sea Expedition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,452,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Nikk wrote:

I have Genesis open right now, here's a quote: Genesis7:19 And the waters prevailed so mightily upon the earth that all the high mountains under the whole heaven were covered.
I think I gotcha on that one, you're just making stuff up that isn't even in the Bible and in fact you've contradicting it. Whenever you guys get stuck in some illogical statement you just invent some outlandish explanation that isn't based on any evidence of any kind and it isn't even based on the Bible.
High is a relative term. The building I work in is high, but it is only two stories tall. Is that high compared to the Empire States Building?

I did not say that there was no mountains. If we were able to compare moutinain of Noah's time to today, "high" would mean two different things.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:02 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,452,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Neither the sediments nor the fossils are sorted according to size, density or composition, which is what you'd get if it were sediment settling out. Also, fossil size at any particular layer is not correlated with the particle size of the surrounding rock, which you'd also expect if the layering occurred as you described.

Look, the oil industry spends billions a year looking for oil based on the science of geology. Don't you think they'd switch to using bible-based flood ideas in a second if it would save them money or help them find more oil? Why are they not doing this?

What do Unitarians have to do with geology?
That's Uniformitarianism.

As far as how layering occured I was giving an example to show how layering can occur at one time and does not require multiple epocs of time. The accual laying during the flood was complex on a global scale. Hydorlification, mass burying with subsequent flooding. The animals could be sorted into zones verse periods of time.

Anyways people do look to the bible, even for geological reference, because it is truth, the references to geology in it are truthfully reccorded. So for military, oil drilling, road mapping, water finding. The bible has been very accurate and a good source.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 AM

33,638 posts, read 37,321,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post

Anyways people do look to the bible, even for geological reference, because it is truth, the references to geology in it are truthfully reccorded. So for military, oil drilling, road mapping, water finding. The bible has been very accurate and a good source.
Well that is the first time I've ever heard that!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,874,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Well that is the first time I've ever heard that!
Me too. I have never found an oil company that relied on Flood Geology for its E&D programs. Most likely, and I am being very generous, it provides no predictive ability for petroleum occurances.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,951,849 times
Quote:
High is a relative term. The building I work in is high, but it is only two stories tall. Is that high compared to the Empire States Building?
Well looking at the context of the bible I'm pretty sure that we are not talking baby steps.

Quote:
I did not say that there was no mountains. If we were able to compare moutinain of Noah's time to today, "high" would mean two different things.
Lets ignore the fact that mountains don't change much in height over a measly 4000 years.

Ahem:

Volume of sphere: 4/3(π)r^3

Average radius of the earth: ~6400 km=>6.4x10^6 m

liter= 1dm^3=>10^-3 m^3

Lets find a range, say water rises from 200m(a hill) to 4km(jade mountain is 3.9km while everest is 8.8km)

thus Vr=V1-V2

4/3π(6400200)^3-4/3π(6400000)^3=1.02x10^17
4/3π(6800000)^3-4/3π(6400000)^3=2.2x10^20

so if my maths is correct, we would need between 102,000,000,000,000 to 220,000,000,000,000,000 liters of water. To put this into perspective, the volume of water is equivalent to a moon between 580km in diameter to something about 2.15 times bigger the earth's moon

Global flood? more like one of the many local floods that hit an area containing guys with very vivid imaginations

Old 04-21-2008, 11:58 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,951,849 times
Quote:
Ur gonna have to give me lots of examples cause i dont believe you

Old 04-21-2008, 01:46 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,737,815 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was just pointing out the absurdity of the typo.

Quote:
As far as how layering occured I was giving an example to show how layering can occur at one time and does not require multiple epocs of time. The accual laying during the flood was complex on a global scale. Hydorlification, mass burying with subsequent flooding. The animals could be sorted into zones verse periods of time.
Let's see your model, then. How specifically did the flood sort fossil remains and sediment so that it looks exactly as if it were laid down gradually over millions or billions of years?

Start with something simple - both dinosaurs and primitive mammals are found in the same layer. How did they get there, and why are they found nowhere else in the geologic column? Remember that dinosaurs range in size quite a bit, but are found with other organisms their own age, and not in layers which happen to have younger species that are the same size. What's the mechanism that "knows" how fossils of similar sizes are supposed to be sorted consistently so that they can fool modern scientists into believing that the flood didn't do it.

And more importantly, if this mechanism is so effective in fooling all of the world's modern geologists into believing that the flood never happened, how are you so sure that it did?

Old 04-21-2008, 05:21 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,234,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Well looking at the context of the bible I'm pretty sure that we are not talking baby steps.

Lets ignore the fact that mountains don't change much in height over a measly 4000 years.

Ahem:

Volume of sphere: 4/3(<pi>)r^3

Average radius of the earth: ~6400 km=>6.4x10^6 m

liter= 1dm^3=>10^-3 m^3

Lets find a range, say water rises from 200m(a hill) to 4km(jade mountain is 3.9km while everest is 8.8km)

thus Vr=V1-V2

4/3<pi>(6400200)^3-4/3<pi>(6400000)^3=1.02x10^17
4/3<pi>(6800000)^3-4/3<pi>(6400000)^3=2.2x10^20

so if my maths is correct, we would need between 102,000,000,000,000 to 220,000,000,000,000,000 liters of water. To put this into perspective, the volume of water is equivalent to a moon between 580km in diameter to something about 2.15 times bigger the earth's moon

Global flood? more like one of the many local floods that hit an area containing guys with very vivid imaginations
Thanks for the great figuring. However, I doubt if those who want to believe in the flood will give the math a second look, much less any consideration.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:26 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,674,331 times
Nikk wrote:
Quote:

Sorry, not buying it. The Bible doesn't state that the mountains suddenly got much taller after the great flood. I caught you in a direct contradiction of what the Bible actually says versus your feeble explanation that was supposed to explain why we don't need as much water to cover the mountains because in Noah's time they were molehills. There's nothing Biblical or scientific that would support such a theory. I gotcha Nikk, nice try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality