Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,702,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Actually know I believe it because I have a relationship with God. I just don't want to debate with people who don't really care about the things of God or who refuse to look up the information on their own. I have better things to do.

I for one read the bible and understand it, if someone who does not and they don't have a relationship with God, and they don't believe God then I want waste my time even trying to explain.
....but.... you are right now. I already moved on. You're the one who keeps responding.

If you keep it alive, I will too.

I've read alot of books too, doesn't mean they are real, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,442,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
No I mean the Unicorn.

(I heard that the Rhinocerus fell through the bottom of the boat because of it weight... hence becoming known as the water horse in some languages. )
No, the name Hippopotomus means "river horse" from the Greek. The bible refers to the "strength of the Unicorn" which is most likely the Rhinosaurus. The idea of a horse with a horn on its head is just an artist rendition.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
...The bible refers to the "strength of the Unicorn" which is most likely the Rhinosaurus.....
that means you don't know for certain what they were talking about and possibly neither do they. Anyone can make guesses.

They could have been talking about a Narwhal, too. Thats got a single horn on its head, much like a unicorn's.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,309,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
....but.... you are right now. I already moved on. You're the one who keeps responding.

If you keep it alive, I will too.

I've read alot of books too, doesn't mean they are real, though.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Tag..you're it

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post

Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,689,467 times
MontanaGuy: Just FYI, according to the Jewish oral tradition, the flood waters were also scalding hot.

A few more questions:

1. How much food did all those animals require per day, how was it stored, and how fast did it have to be distributed?

2. At what rate and in what quantity did all those animals produce manure, and how fast did Noah's family have to shovel it to keep their Arc clean?

3. As the water levels rose and the Arc climbed to higher altitudes, I suppose at one point the rain turned to snow and the surface of the water froze. Query: How fast would Noah's family have to chop the ice to keep it from crushing the Arc, and how did that task fit in with all their food distribution and manure-shoveling obligations? Also, how did all those tropical animals and plants survive?

Old 03-10-2009, 11:12 AM

113 posts, read 175,364 times
Here's an available model of the ark, based on established biblical dimensions. It is available here:

Minicraft Noah's Ark in Cubit Scale

The side-view shows two lower levels with cages, plus a level one down from the upper deck, and then a top "cabin", which is definitely where the dance parties were held and the huge meals served. There's no kitchen on this boat, and no rudder or sails. How did Noah avoid being dashed on the rocks? Prayer?

I also wonder why, if all his animals were so tame and agreeable as to accept an invite to walk on board, why then did they have to be constrained in cages?

I can also imagine the stench!

It really is fantasy nonsense, especially when, in your mind's eye, you try to crowd even the animals known to exist in biblical times on board. If yhou add in the other 50,000 species, in pairs no less, it's obviously a fable. After they were on board and comfortably settled in, for what was it, 18 months at sea, how did they survive? With no ports of call where they could restock with food and potable water?

Yet this is viewed as a possible and logical truth? It's taught in Sunday School as fact?

Anyways, other very obvious geological structures show that the evidence put up by the ark crowd is unprovable and in direct contradiction of simple things like depositional sediment counts showing the true number of seasons that have passed.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:35 AM

896 posts, read 1,865,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
The idea of a horse with a horn on its head is just an artist rendition.
Musta been a lousy artist. I mean who could mistake a rhino for a horse?

Nah, the poor unicorn must have been left to drown. Sad really.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:09 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,402,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thotful1 View Post
Here's an available model of the ark, based on established biblical dimensions. It is available here:

Minicraft Noah's Ark in Cubit Scale

The side-view shows two lower levels with cages, plus a level one down from the upper deck, and then a top "cabin", which is definitely where the dance parties were held and the huge meals served. There's no kitchen on this boat, and no rudder or sails. How did Noah avoid being dashed on the rocks? Prayer?
I have'nt wanted to get into these speculative "what is/ What's not" debates. However it would do your discussion a little more service to explain the actual dimensions the way it's given in the Biblical account. While most of the Children Story Book renderings seem to be fine for the kids, (actually not, kids can accept the truth, it's the adults that have issues) you could just tell the truth about it's actual draftings for blueprint. The instructions given call for no more than a rectangular box-like structure. Making it look like some ancient sailing ship does'nt make sense at all. First of all, if the earth was covered completely with water, where was it going to sail and voyage to ??? Once it arrived, where would it dock ???

The most logical shape would be similiar to this photo I found on the net. It's only purpose from what is said, was simply to float and weather out the storm. Interestingly both "Discovery Channel" & PBS.org had exactly these logical scientific points about such possibilities of floatation, Hogging & Sagging, etc. It was very interesting. Man, when some of you guys even remotely get a scientific backing, you reject or out right ignore it. The seaworthiness would have been more logical.

Bolding Alert:

As far as these arguements over Mount Ararat go. Get Over it !!! Does'nt matter anyway. If they even found such a thing, the wood would be salvaged and expensive elaborate alters would be built all over the planet out of the wood and admission charged to pray and worship there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality