Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 02:33 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I would tell you but if I did, I would not be within the guidelines of the thread as it pertains to Ken Ham's Opening Day at the Ark.

It is open to debate as to others having an older flood story than Moses. The Chinese were wiped out in the world-wide flood. But what I really like about Ken Ham's ark representation is that it allows people to see the incredible enormity of the ark and how it is feasible to accomplish what God needed it to.

Perhaps one part of the ark should have 24 tons of hay and 8 thousand gallons of water just to show how little space the food for one pair of Indian elephants would take. That would cover the time of the rain but if they were on the Ark it would be more like 200 tons and 70 thousand gallons of water. That is 100000 cubic feet or an area 10 feet high by 10 feet wide by 1000 feet long.

A large dinosaur would eat more than an elephant hence for each "kind" of large dinosaur it would require more than 200 tons of food. And you cannot have all dinosaurs as one kind unless you accept not only evolution but extremely rapid evolution if only one pair of dinosaurs were taken aboard. And what if dinosaurs were considered clean?

Old 07-13-2016, 02:39 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Perhaps one part of the ark should have 24 tons of hay and 8 thousand gallons of water just to show how little space the food for one pair of Indian elephants would take. That would cover the time of the rain but if they were on the Ark it would be more like 200 tons and 70 thousand gallons of water. That is 100000 cubic feet or an area 10 feet high by 10 feet wide by 1000 feet long.

A large dinosaur would eat more than an elephant hence for each "kind" of large dinosaur it would require more than 200 tons of food. And you cannot have all dinosaurs as one kind unless you accept not only evolution but extremely rapid evolution if only one pair of dinosaurs were taken aboard. And what if dinosaurs were considered clean?
I do wonder if Noah's people considered dinosaurs clean animals. Hmm. And would this be true of all species of dinos?

Yes, food storage on the ark must have been tricky. But hey, as some have suggested, maybe it was all freeze-dried or dehydrated? Ya never know...

Or hey, this was god-magic after all...maybe food and water weren't necessary. (A miracle!) Or, I've heard it said that all the animals were in a Yahweh-induced state of hibernation or suspended animation. This would also solve the problem of waste matter.

I've heard that fertilized eggs were taken on board and not actual animals...I've heard people claim that as the animals entered the ark they were magically shrunken down to a tiny percentage of their size...I've heard one outlandish thing followed by something even more outlandish...whatever level of outlandishness it takes as long as you end up at "One way or another, that Noah's ark story is 100% historically accurate and valid" and that "Anyone denying the literal truth of every jot-and-titter of The Bible is just an ignorant, god-hating evil person."

Old 07-13-2016, 02:39 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:

The spin is going to get interesting.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:41 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I do wonder if Noah's people considered dinosaurs clean animals. Hmm. And would this be true of all species of dinos?

Yes, food storage on the ark must have been tricky. But hey, as some have suggested, maybe it was all freeze-dried or dehydrated? Ya never know...

Or hey, this was god-magic after all...maybe food and water weren't necessary. (A miracle!) Or, I've heard it said that all the animals were in a Yahweh-induced state of hibernation or suspended animation. This would also solve the problem of waste matter.

I've heard that fertilized eggs were taken on board and not actual animals...I've heard people claim that as the animals entered the ark they were magically shrunken down to a tiny percentage of their size...I've heard one outlandish thing followed by something even more outlandish...whatever level of outlandishness it takes as long as you end up at "One way or another, that Noah's ark story is 100% historically accurate and valid" and that "Anyone denying the literal truth of every jot-and-titter of The Bible is just an ignorant, god-hating evil person."

Yes the stories that need to be created that are not in the Bible in order to make the claim that the Bible is correct.

Hay is already dehydrated to a certain extent, if they wanted green feed the weight would be greater.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
I see online where Jimmy Carter and Bill Nye both visited the Ark.

Bill Nye visits Noah's Ark attraction, but pours cold water on it | NOLA.com

After visiting Noah's Ark theme park, Jimmy Carter says he believes in both divine 'power of God' and evolution | Christian News on Christian Today

I see Jimmy Carter believes in evolution as well as God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The spin is going to get interesting.
Maybe they were baby elephants.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:03 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times
As an amusement park, this thing stretches further into fantasy than Disneyland.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:08 PM

23,175 posts, read 10,463,936 times
Quote:

There isn't any dinos in the bible and the Earth is billions of years old. Just because some people believe this doesn't make it true.

It's just crazy isn't it?

But that's not what the bible insinuates, it is so illogical that it is silly.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:08 PM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes they can. Stop living your life in abject wilful ignorance and educate yourself. I pity your children.

Oh dear!
Typical insulting arrogant rhetoric. You can take your vomit of pity and swallow it. Your grand counter argument is that I'm wrong. Oh you don't bother to explain how I'm wrong or given a single shred of supporting evidence to back up your statements. I'm just wrong because you say so. I have no respect for that.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:26 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Typical insulting arrogant rhetoric. You can take your vomit of pity and swallow it. Your grand counter argument is that I'm wrong. Oh you don't bother to explain how I'm wrong or given a single shred of supporting evidence to back up your statements. I'm just wrong because you say so. I have no respect for that.
Taking fundy preacher lessons? You going to jump on a pulpit and rant at your flock? Like this guy?

P.S. His hate spiel was so bad, South Africa will not let him in.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:35 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,339,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Actually, as has been pointed out many times, it's because any reasonable, rational person realizes the tale of Noah's ark is allegorical. Symbolic. Mythical. In part because it couldn't possibly have happened the way The Bible depicts it. Even large numbers of Christians are aware of this.

The truth is, outside of your "The Bible has it written this way, so it MUST be the way it was, and no proof or logic of any kind will sway me from that" you yourself have no evidence of any kind to support this event from The Bible as some 100% historically true and accurate portrayal.

Truth is, there's no evidence of any kind to even claim that Yahweh or any other god is real, though I understand belief in god(s) and fully support your freedom to do so and to believe whatever you wish.

What I'd like to convey, so you don't just come back with another empty, meaningless "typical ignorant atheist arrogant offensive blahblahblah" sort of retort, as is your wont, is that for myself, and I reckon many others, there is a beauty to the story itself. The story can tell us something about ourselves and (especially in ancient times) our relationship with the world around us and with the divine.

I don't any more believe the story of the Garden of Eden actually happened as written of in the Bible than I believe Luke Skywalker is the actual son of Darth Vader. That does not mean there is no worth or value or philosophical truth to the story itself. The story is symbolic of things far greater in depth than simply reading it as a true and accurate historical account (which, again, it clearly is not, and most understand this.) Adam and Eve represent certain things, as do the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, its fruit, the serpent, etc.

The entire NT Christian narrative--an immense and powerful story of love, sacrifice, forgiveness, redemption--is something very moving and profound.

I don't have to believe every word of The Bible is true for me to find great worth in many of its pages. To find "truth" there--even if it is truth of a nature different than mere "fact."

I would argue that reading The Bible as a simple history text not only requires willful ignorance and a struggle against so much of what we know about real history, reality, physical laws, etc., it actually robs the scriptures of their depth...it cheapens them, makes them two-dimensional when they are much more multi-faceted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality