Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 02:01 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
All the atheists probably picketed it walking round and round the ark and trying to disrupt the work flow. That's probably another reason it took so long to build the ark.

What? You actually believe atheists were probably picketing Noah's Ark, and that's why it took so long to build?

LMAO. That is hilarious.

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
We have a historical document preserved carefully throughout time. We have archaeological ruins. We have external evidence showing that ziggaruts were a known structure building technique in that time period. We have a description of the tower from the Greek historian Herodotus.
Clearly, as any unbiased, reasonable person would acknowledge, linguistic records, over time and globally, do not leave the same traces and evidence that, say, fossil records or archaeological records do.

Even writing--even of the stone or clay tablet variety--is far more ephemeral than fossils or ancient ruins. And who knows when writing began in relation to spoken language (although there is evidence in that area.)

We cannot 100% accurately or completely describe the migrations of homo sapiens across the globe either. That doesn't mean groups of people were all just suddenly created right where we can now find them, more or less.

Quote:
OTOH, all you got is: "well we think this is what could have happened"
Whereas what you present is "it's written in these ancient books...the only ancient holy texts in the world whose legends are actually real and true history! therefore--true!"

ANY thing that has not been explained or described by the sciences fully (and there are, IMO, many, many things about existence no science is likely to ever explain fully) does not provide support for the notion that "Well, those wacky linguists don't seem to have a full handle on the migration of the indo-european language familes, therefore The Bible is 100% true!"

That's nonsense.

As I've said before, I love the stories of The Bible. The fact I don't accept them all as 100% valid and accurate historical accounts (yes, that is MY bias: I do view them as largely mythical/legendary and allegorical/symbolic, just as I do the myths of other religions) doesn't mean I view them as "lies."

Quite the contrary. Myths can and do convey what, to me, is a much more profound form of "truth" than mere "fact." In the case of something as immense as The Bible, trying to reduce it to the level of a history textbook (which it clearly isn't, and which is unnecessary and insupportable) only cheapens it. Makes it shallow.

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Let me guess, they are woefully ignorant too?

Nope...that's pretty standard stuff. Especially for a linguist who uses Chomsky as a source.

Linguists have varying opinions on the development of language in ancient cultures and societies. There is no "right" answer.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-14-2016 at 02:14 PM..

Old 07-14-2016, 02:02 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Why would human beings in different parts of the world have a common language? They were not communicating with each other.
After the flood, all the humans were situated in the Mesopotamian area. They were all communicating with each other using one language which came from the 8 from the ark.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:04 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
What? You actually believe atheists were probably picketing Noah's Ark, and that's why it took so long to build?

LMAO. That is hilarious.
It is a possibility.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:06 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post
after the flood, all the humans were situated in the mesopotamian area. They were all communicating with each other using one language which came from the 8 from the ark.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaka.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	172406

Old 07-14-2016, 02:06 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Today's pop science is based on all kinds of assumptions that it has all stayed the same for 14 billion years, with no evidence to support the idea.
Pretending that you know enough about science to make a judgment on the validity of it when you have proven that you can not even grasp the concept of sub high school level scientific theories. I guess that is an effective argument in your mind yea? Anyone with even a tenuous grasp of the scientific method can see that you have no clue what you are talking about. It is like someone trying to tell me that football sucks because Tiger Woods hits too many home runs.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:11 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Today's pop science is based on all kinds of assumptions that it has all stayed the same for 14 billion years, with no evidence to support the idea.

You might be right and all science is wrong. Perhaps the USA should simply stop teaching all science that is not in your bible. What could possibly go wrong

You, Jeff and Eusibisus are such experts of science. Jeff for example claimed the evolutionists do not know how language started and why we have so many of them now and yet origin of language brought up over 2 billi0n hits on Bing. I have a degree in physical science others have advanced degrees in various sciences and yet the three of you make claims about science without anything more than a knowledge that science exists. And put down anyone with a science background.

Pop science meaning any that you do not agree with. None of you like any disagreement about your religion but all of you seem to enjoy making derogatory remarks about anything that does not agree with your Bible world view. I am not sure that many people look at geology and chemistry or physics as pop science. Perhaps you could tell me a real science then.

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Pretending that you know enough about science to make a judgment on the validity of it when you have proven that you can not even grasp the concept of sub high school level scientific theories. I guess that is an effective argument in your mind yea? Anyone with even a tenuous grasp of the scientific method can see that you have no clue what you are talking about.
And blindly accepting the popular beliefs of "scientists" like Bill Nye is not actually doing "science", either.

But hey...you believe the popular ideas...so how can you be wrong? I mean...the majority has NEVER been wrong, has it?

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
you have your dates wrong. Dinosaurs came into being about 160 millions ago and the last of them other than birds went with the asteroid bank 65 million years ago. The Ark story fails to show how a single layer of sediment was laid down during a flood above which not a single dinosaur fossil has been found.

And it is paleontology not archaeology that studies fossils.
Ha! I stand corrected. Thank you.

Sixty-five million years ago the dinosaurs died out, then how did Noah, the party naked dude, have dinosaurs on the ark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality