Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Anybody wanna buy a very slightly used ark?
Naaaa. .. I think the salesman is too slippery.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:57 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Stop it Vizio. You are making yourself sound more and more ignorant than your intelligence should.

I think you better stop using all modern implements, including the vehicle you drive, the gun you shoot, the computer you type on. All of those are as a result of the use of geology (metals and oil), chemistry and physics. You CANNOT separate the science used for those purposes from the SAME science used to date the earth, or analyse its components. Name one aspect of any of those sciences that are used wrongly, or in your words, in a "pop science" manner.

Just one of those three will suffice. But knowing you, you will not answer, because you can not.
Why is EVERY SINGLE ATHEIST I've seen online act like they have a PHD in every field of science? Seriously, I know you not all experts in these fields so drop the condescending act. It's really old.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:13 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I don't think it's "this one story." Though, I think it is a marvelous story, and can speak to us so much about ancient people, their relationship with their gods, the human condition in general.

I find so many of the stories from The Bible moving, meaningful, powerful and profound.

I just recognize them as myths. All cultures have them. There is no reason to claim that only the Judeo-Christian myths are 100% historically accurate. That's nonsense, and why would it matter anyway?

There is an entire field of archaeology dedicated to the Bible. It's not nonsense. The Bible meets every requirement of verifying ancient history. But people like you will accept other histories without question while stubbornly rejected the entire Bible. A myth wouldn't bother with details like genealogies or prophecies or a book of laws. Your bias makes it nearly impossible to every accept any evidence that supports Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

I'll bring up Santa Claus again. For a child, they may well believe (because they are taught it) that Santa Claus is a real person (likely he is based loosely on one) or elf or whatever capable of sliding down chimneys and delivering gifts to billions of Christians across the globe one night a year.

A reasonable adult wouldn't take the stories of Santa Claus as "real" but can appreciate the symbolism of giving, sharing, a little bit of magic and wonder. That doesn't make Santa Claus some evil lie that must be stamped out, or take away all meaning and worth from the legendary figure of Santa Claus. In fact, it's a way of viewing the figure of Santa and the things he does in a much deeper way.
We have no reason to believe in Santa Claus any more to believe that they are orange colored unicorns on Mars. We have plenty of reason to believe in Christ because Christ changes people. I've seen drug addicts and harden ex-cons become people of love and beauty overnight. That's not their imagination.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:20 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Why is EVERY SINGLE ATHEIST I've seen online act like they have a PHD in every field of science? Seriously, I know you not all experts in these fields so drop the condescending act. It's really old.
I think it just appears that way to you because you are obviously prone to hyperbole and your staunch adherence to literalist nonsense causes you to come across as someone with a kindergarten-level grasp of what science is and how it functions.

I don't believe atheists are necessarily more intelligent than believers in general, but many adults understand something of science and can research and learn about things they don't know, whereas biblical literalists can only look at such information and say "Well, that can't be correct because it doesn't jibe with this or that portion of The Bible. Oh! All those poor idiots, duped by those evil, god-hating, lying sciency cretins."

Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
There is an entire field of archaeology dedicated to the Bible. It's not nonsense. The Bible meets every requirement of verifying ancient history. But people like you will accept other histories without question while stubbornly rejected the entire Bible. A myth wouldn't bother with details like genealogies or prophecies or a book of laws. Your bias makes it nearly impossible to every accept any evidence that supports Christianity.

We have no reason to believe in Santa Claus any more to believe that they are orange colored unicorns on Mars. We have plenty of reason to believe in Christ because Christ changes people. I've seen drug addicts and harden ex-cons become people of love and beauty overnight. That's not their imagination.
Just one quick question Jeff, do you believe that the Book of Mormon is the truth. It has genealogies, prophesy and laws. Is it true or false?

Evolution has genealogies, laws and predictions and is an entire field of study, backed by other disciplines of science and yet you feel confident to proclaim it a lie. Is the Book of Mormon like your Bible and is the truth or is it like The Theory of Evolution? Only your opinion no citations needed.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:32 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Although every atheist does not have a PhD in a scientific field, that does not negate UNDERSTANDING science and the scientific method.

That has been explained to you ad nauseum, but you stay willfully ignorant of it. Staying willfully ignorant makes you what?

Old 07-14-2016, 07:33 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,664 times
Quote:
It's just a matter of contrast. Most of the people dissing science couldn't tell a tachyon from a tuba.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Staying willfully ignorant makes you what?
I know! I know!

A fundamentalist. Of any religion. Unfortunately, willful ignorance isn't confined to adherents of one set of beliefs.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-14-2016 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-14-2016, 08:11 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,081,130 times
At this point I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked...

Old 07-14-2016, 08:31 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Way to cherry pick. I am saying The Bible is not a 100% totally accurate and valid collection of history books. I never implied, nor have I ever stated, or believed, there is NO history within its pages. Quite the contrary. I am fascinated by archaeology as well as specifically biblical archaeology and freely acknowledge there have been several discoveries which support biblical passages regarding certain tribes, wars, kings, cities, etc.

In no sense have I ever "rejected the entire Bible." Not at all. I love The Bible. I love it primarily as poetry and literature, at which level it is unique in human history.

I've brought this up before, but consider the works of Homer. For centuries the Trojan War was thought to be pure legend; a fabrication, until in the mid 19th century a German archaeologist did a lot of research, close reading of the tales, made some calculations, and began a dig. He unearthed...the city of Troy. We now know it existed, that war took place, and some of the figures described by Homer actually lived.

Does this mean, though, that Odysseus and his men fought a cyclops, or were hypnotized by the siren call of.mermaids?

By your very own reasoning, it should.

Quote:
We have no reason to believe in Santa Claus any more to believe that they are orange colored unicorns on Mars.
And yet, he is based on a historical figure. This only serves to illustrate and support the way a kernel of truth, over time and in the retelling, becomes larger than life. Legendary, mythical, eternal. Again, using your "logic" however, we would be of the belief Santa Claus has stables full of flying reindeer out by his North Pole toy workshop.

Quote:
We have plenty of reason to believe in Christ because Christ changes people. I've seen drug addicts and harden ex-cons become people of love and beauty overnight. That's not their imagination.
Firstly, those things also happen without Christ or any other religious aspect. Secondly, the Christ story of love, sacrifice, forgiveness, redemption and resurrection (which can be symbolic of so many things) is staggeringly powerful and beautiful. Those things, and a belief in Christ have inarguably had mighty consequences. Belief in the power of that love, possibilty of salvation (again, which can be symbolic of many things to many people) can certainly transform lives. Here I think of Christ as a focus of energy, a meditation point. If people believe the Jesus story literally true and it helps them, that's gold.

I would argue that literal belief in it is not necessary, and even if the Gospel accounts of the stories of Jesus WERE literally true, this in no way means every word of every book, or every OT story is totally, literally true.

Nor do they need to be. It doesn't matter. That doesn't in any way detract from or diminish the worth or value of The Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.