Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 08:31 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I don't use them in my arguments. I brought up those fallacies because you were using them. Geesh!
Except I did not use any fallacies. Now you are just lying. How did Jesus feel about lying again?

Also, you may want to look up the fallacy fallacy. Not only that, but accusing someone of using fallacies when they are not, in an attempt to discredit them also falls under ad hominem, so you actually just employed 2 fallacies in one sentence.

Kind of funny that you would post a first sentence claiming to not use fallacies in your argument and follow it up directly with two fallacies in one sentence.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 07-15-2016 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 08:31 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Just because you say so does not make it so.
At least I have historic documents to back up my side. All you have is your say-so.
They have been corrected:

Old 07-15-2016, 08:35 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
There is an aspect of this thread that reminds me of debating the history of the Holocaust with a dedicated Holocaust-Denier ... these delusional people will cite articles (with pictures, yet!) and all kinds of theories and charts and cite fellow travelers to prove their point. They are full of crap.
It is exactly the same principal, though generally much less noxious. Rather than "Holocause deniers" we might call biblical literalists "reality and knowledge deniers." That's apt.

Quote:
Religious belief is something that a person feels in their heart. They do not have to try to "prove" or "legitimize" their belief system to me. It's true for them ... I understand that. To me it's false. My intelligence, my reason, my education, my discernment, my logic ... all tell me that such fables are nonsensical and preposterous.
To me, they are powerful and often instructive stories. The only way they veer into "nonsensical and preposterous" territory is when they are taken literally and as 100% valid history which, of course, they are not, and which robs the stories of their true worth, and which is, indeed, nonsensical and preposterous.

But I see your point.

Quote:
That was the U.S. Government who mistreated the Native Americans. Christians were trying to help save them. Or are you joking again?
There was no nationwide movement on the part of Christians to help Native Americans, though certainly there were groups of Christians and individual Christians who did so, just as there were some Germans who sheltered Jews or aided their escape from Nazi-occupied areas. Yet, just as with the Christians towards the Native Americans (and non-Christians, it should be stated) most either collaborated with the Jewish genocides or did nothing.

Quote:
That was not the fault of Christians but the Govt.
It is absolutely inarguable that Christian doctrine was used both to support the destruction and marginalization of Native Americans as well as the slave trade. A common rallying cry was: "These people are soulless savages. They can't be converted because they have no souls to save. Unlike us, they can't be brought to god because they are lesser animals, lesser beings. To us, they are as cattle."

These very things were said, promoted, printed and circulated, and represent very widely held beliefs at the time. They were the cause of, and justification for, a great deal of human atrocity.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:40 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Bet you had Jewish and Black friends too, right?
I don't know Eusebius, but feel I should come to his defense in a small way here. Aside from the way he speaks about people who don't believe the way he does, I have no reason to think he is an unkind or bigoted person.

If I've missed him going off on "evil homosexuals" and how they should be treated as second-class citizens or something, I retract what I just said, but I don't believe he's necessarily a huge intolerant bigot.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:42 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I don't know Eusebius, but feel I should come to his defense in a small way here. Aside from the way he speaks about people who don't believe the way he does, I have no reason to think he is an unkind or bigoted person.

If I've missed him going off on "evil homosexuals" and how they should be treated as second-class citizens or something, I retract what I just said, but I don't believe he's necessarily a huge intolerant bigot.
Can agree with this. He is more of a silly caricature than a hater. The pen name also screams poe so its hard to tell how seriously to take him.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:56 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Please tell me you are just joking.
You DO believe they (and anyone who does not accept Christ) will burn in hell for all eternity, right? Your god has heaven and hell and the superstitious heathen savages can accept Christ and the Ark Experience or burn in hell for all eternity, right?

The Ark is a euphemism for your god's mentality. I prefer 1491, when America REALLY was great.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:

That's easy, let's just ask Eubie and Phil Robertson if there will be any gays in heaven.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

I would agree with you other than his total distain for any thoughts that goes against his literal world view I also do not think he is a bigot or hateful person. Having said that he sure shows distain for those who have spent their life's work on fields that he thinks is in opposition to his religion.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:07 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
He not only saw Adam and Eve sin, He ensured it would happen. He is the one Who made Adam fleshly and soulish. He planted the forbidden tree in the middle of the garden. He created the crafty serpent and put it in the garden. He stacked the deck against Adam and Eve. He knew humanity would be corrupt to the point of having to wipe out the majority. He had to teach them. He pleaded with them for 100 years to turn from their evil. They refused. He knew they would refuse. They didn't know. They didn't believe God. They needed to see where their evil gets them. But do you not see that God is going to save all of them in the future? You see, (well, maybe like them you don't) but you are looking at the flood and Eden with tunnel vision rather than stepping back to see the whole picture.
You're trying to start a whole new version of xianity. One thats almost atheistic driven.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:25 AM

Welcome my Native American brothers and Sisters to the Noah's Ark Experience! BTW, if you do not accept Jesus as your personal savior, .... you can SWALLOW YOUR VOMIT and BURN IN HELL!!!

Just wondering how many times has a Native American told a non-native they would burn in hell if they don't follow Native American beliefs?

Now how many times have we Native Americans been told we will fry if we don't conform to the Judaeo-Christian beliefs?

Get on the bandwagon you heathens!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.