Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 03:11 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
If it has zero trace of it ever happening, then why oh why does it offend you so much? And if it's just a story illustrating G-d destroying the evil flesh, that the spirit might raise up (which it is), in type, like a massive resurrection (8 being a symbolic number that also relates to those destroyed in part), why oh why does that offend you so much? What then, do you have against the resurrection from the dead? Do you wish to remain so when you die? Peace
I take zero offense from the story itself, when it is taken as a story. It offends me when people like creationists put out distortions, misrepresentations and downright lies in their efforts to create mistrust within the public of science and evudence. I also find it offensive that folks like you and Jeff can find nothing wrong about a story of your God killing almost every living thing in the planet and then claim that morality cones from your God. When did I say that resurrection offends me? I assume, based on the total lack of evidence to the contrary, that when I am dead I am dead. I can live with this being our only chance for a life. It does offend me when people either let their children die or kill them so that they can go to a better place. I am very offended by those who do not care about our planet because of their belief in an afterlife. Animal abuse also offends me. Noah's Ark as a story does not offend me. Noah's Ark as a supposedly historical fact and acted upon in education is an offense to me, to science, to the lagacies of so many ancient cultures, to truth and to morality.

I do have faith in your ability to both misunderstand and misrepresent what I do post. Once I am dead I will be dead. Yes I would love to be reunited with all my dogs and cats, yes it would be nice to remain with my wife forever. So what? I am not going to believe in your religion because I want to see my dogs again.

Does it offend you that others don't see the killing of millions of humans and millions of animals as justified?

Old 08-13-2017, 03:17 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
In your mind it looks that way. In my mind dehumanizing people and believing they are worthy of a violent death is the same however you do it. I won't go along with it no matter the authority presented to me (rebel spirit..yes I know). You can help me understand by explaining why you believe nearly every sentient being on the earth should have been destroyed. I'd like to see your thought process on that because it seems bizarre to me.
If you blame God for wiping out wicked people then you must think wicked people should never be destroyed. It is wrong to deprive them of life so they can go on inflicting rape, murder torture from generation to generation, right?

Old 08-13-2017, 03:18 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I take zero offense from the story itself, when it is taken as a story. It offends me when people like creationists put out distortions, misrepresentations and downright lies in their efforts to create mistrust within the public of science and evudence. I also find it offensive that folks like you and Jeff can find nothing wrong about a story of your God killing almost every living thing in the planet and then claim that morality cones from your God. When did I say that resurrection offends me? I assume, based on the total lack of evidence to the contrary, that when I am dead I am dead. I can live with this being our only chance for a life. It does offend me when people either let their children die or kill them so that they can go to a better place. I am very offended by those who do not care about our planet because of their belief in an afterlife. Animal abuse also offends me. Noah's Ark as a story does not offend me. Noah's Ark as a supposedly historical fact and acted upon in education is an offense to me, to science, to the lagacies of so many ancient cultures, to truth and to morality.

I do have faith in your ability to both misunderstand and misrepresent what I do post. Once I am dead I will be dead. Yes I would love to be reunited with all my dogs and cats, yes it would be nice to remain with my wife forever. So what? I am not going to believe in your religion because I want to see my dogs again.

Does it offend you that others don't see the killing of millions of humans and millions of animals as justified?

No, because I've been there and done that. And what I pointed out to you was that your offence to those things, because they are a TYPE of the resurrection being portrayed, also means you are offended by the resurrection concept, then? And, from your statement here, it appears that did indeed carry over into that as well. Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
No, because I've been there and done that. And what I pointed out to you was that your offence to those things, because they are a TYPE of the resurrection being portrayed, also means you are offended by the resurrection concept, then? And, from your statement here, it appears that did indeed carry over into that as well. Peace
Hard to respond to whatever it is you are thinking or saying.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:36 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
I take zero offense from the story itself, when it is taken as a story. It offends me when people like creationists put out distortions, misrepresentations and downright lies in their efforts to create mistrust within the public of science and evidence. I also find it offensive that folks like you and Jeff can find nothing wrong about a story of your God killing almost every living thing in the planet and then claim that morality comes from your God. When did I say that resurrection offends me? I assume, based on the total lack of evidence to the contrary, that when I am dead I am dead. I can live with this being our only chance for a life. It does offend me when people either let their children die or kill them so that they can go to a better place. I am very offended by those who do not care about our planet because of their belief in an afterlife. Animal abuse also offends me. Noah's Ark as a story does not offend me. Noah's Ark as a supposedly historical fact and acted upon in education is an offense to me, to science, to the legacies of so many ancient cultures, to truth and to morality.

Once again - very good post. All of it.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
9k I Re read it. Is it the lying about evidence and trying to force your religious views into the education systems that is a form of resurrection? Is it wrong to be against dishonesty? And was there any resurrection prior to Jesus and how would these drowning babies and old women know enough to repent before Jesus before he was even born? Make all the long winded distractions and accusations you want, the story of Noah taken literally should offend any moral, logical and rational person.

I do see people willing to not only go along with every action in the Bible, moral or immiral, but also to question the morality of those who wee this story as immoral. Of all the humans in the world only were not totally wicked and immoral?

Old 08-13-2017, 03:53 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If you blame God for wiping out wicked people then you must think wicked people should never be destroyed. It is wrong to deprive them of life so they can go on inflicting rape, murder torture from generation to generation, right?
Those are the righteous people of the Old Testament! That's the problem I have with it.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:56 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
9k I Re read it. Is it the lying about evidence and trying to force your religious views into the education systems that is a form of resurrection? Is it wrong to be against dishonesty? And was there any resurrection prior to Jesus and how would these drowning babies and old women know enough to repent before Jesus before he was even born? Make all the long winded distractions and accusations you want, the story of Noah taken literally should offend any moral, logical and rational person.

I do see people willing to not only go along with every action in the Bible, moral or immiral, but also to question the morality of those who wee this story as immoral. Of all the humans in the world only were not totally wicked and immoral?

Lying about evidence and trying to force my views into the education systems? Pot/kettle, isn't it?

How would they know? Noah preached to them for 120 years before the flood came. Adam and Eve had the same problem. G-d says something and expects His creation to do it, and makes them aware of consequences if they don't. They ignore it, consequences come and it's G-D'S fault all of a sudden? The epitome of a lack of accountability.

No different really, than say you know if you drink poison it's going to kill you, you've been told it will kill you, you read in a book it will kill you, but you decide to drink it anyway, and then get ticked off when while you're dying and blame the person that told you it was poison. That's the luxury of free will and the possible outcomes of having it. You're right. It makes no sense whatsoever. Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 03:59 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Folks, thread is being closed as it has veered off topic for quite some time now.

Thanks,
~June
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.