Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 05:53 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,336,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
The Greatest hurdle you face in faith is your face in a mirror.
I'd rather go with evidence, observations and knowledge rather than faith. And why should faith mean taking up your religion and not the religion of someone else? As this is not the Christianity forum shouldn't all Faiths have the same value, or lack thereof?

Old 08-10-2017, 05:54 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,174,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I'd rather go with evidence, observations and knowledge rather than faith. And why should faith mean taking up your religion and not the religion of someone else? As this is not the Christianity forum shouldn't all Faiths have the same value, or lack thereof?
~when you turn from the mirror you'll know.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:16 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,055,948 times
Quote:
Not when I know also there is a being who can appear as an angel of light also described as a roaring lion going about this earth seeking whom he may destroy. No it doesn't make sense at all does it.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
~when you turn from the mirror you'll know.
Sorry but I don't communicate in code, nor do I live in fear mistaking it for love. So has Ham dealt honestly with the state and civic governments, or does that even matter to you?

Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,174,248 times
~like trying to water grass on a hot sunny afternoon.

nite

Old 08-10-2017, 08:14 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,055,948 times
Quote:
~like trying to water grass on a hot sunny afternoon.

nite

I see this is not your first rodeo. Peace

Old 08-10-2017, 08:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,225,811 times
Hush and Rbbi1 having a meeting of minds.

How...nice. And unsurprising.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Hush and Rbbi1 having a meeting of minds.

How...nice. And unsurprising.
Yes the agreeing that not answering questions or explaining what they mean are virtues.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:51 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,611,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Jeffbase40, I come into this late, but from a newbie's perspective, it seems you are so ingrained in your belief, that there is nothing that will change your mind, no matter how trivial a fact that might challenge the literal interpretation of biblical stories.

I'm not sure why those that believe a literal story won't accept what science has shown. I suspect the real reason is that if one element of the bible is shown not to be true, then all of it becomes into question, and then of course, the literal basis of one's faith is eroded.

It makes much more sense to me that those of a religious faith take their scriptures as allegory or metaphorical. Most Jews do now, except the very orthodox. They do not believe in the literal stories of the old testament, but seem them as an expression to thought starters, to a life, and a shared history. Not that they view that history as literal.

Does that make any sense to you?
great post and observation. Welcome, sit back and enjoy.

There's plenty of Jeff to be had.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
Jeffbase40, I come into this late, but from a newbie's perspective, it seems you are so ingrained in your belief, that there is nothing that will change your mind, no matter how trivial a fact that might challenge the literal interpretation of biblical stories.

I'm not sure why those that believe a literal story won't accept what science has shown. I suspect the real reason is that if one element of the bible is shown not to be true, then all of it becomes into question, and then of course, the literal basis of one's faith is eroded.

It makes much more sense to me that those of a religious faith take their scriptures as allegory or metaphorical. Most Jews do now, except the very orthodox. They do not believe in the literal stories of the old testament, but seem them as an expression to thought starters, to a life, and a shared history. Not that they view that history as literal.

Does that make any sense to you?
You hit the nail square on the head. To Jeff, anything that questions a single part of the Bible as not being literal is a lie, he has even called those who believe in God and Jesus but not the Bible being literal as atheists. He a
has also accused all those who do not accept his literal reading of the Bible as closed minded as he claims that he has the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality