Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your feelings on God?
I reject him 4 5.13%
I do not believe he exists 52 66.67%
I believe in him and believe he is the one and only true God 22 28.21%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:13 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,562,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Wow, you get snarky in a hurry. I was simply explaining to you why I didn't feel comfortable answering the poll, even thought I answered it in the thread.

When you dispute an ardent theist that is usually their reaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 10:19 AM

50 posts, read 39,567 times
Will you really omit the possibilities that there is a GOD? If there is, you win. If there is not, you also win. Providing you admit Him(- for the Christians. HIM for Jews&Muslims) into your life.

If you do not admit GOD, you would become the godless Chinese though; minding material resources all the times.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:22 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,562,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveringMyArm399 View Post
Will you really omit the possibilities that there is a GOD? If there is, you win. If there is not, you also win. Providing you admit Him(- for the Christians. HIM for Jews&Muslims) into your life.

If you do not admit GOD, you would become the godless Chinese though; minding material resources all the times.
Wrong on all counts.

What you actually become is free from all consideration of such an entity and free to live your own life as you see fit.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Actual physical and archeological proof of Jesus would be nice to prove there was such a single entity.

Do you want me to define proof for you?
It is impossible to fake the existence of Jesus. Why do you need proofs on this?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Wrong on all counts.

What you actually become is free from all consideration of such an entity and free to live your own life as you see fit.
GOD dismissed the carnal laws already. You could live without the laws now. So what is the problem? To love one another or live as peacefully as you could?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:40 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,697,883 times
Quote:
It is impossible to fake the existence of Jesus. Why do you need proofs on this?
Why do you say that? Can you point to a single piece of contemporary writing that addresses the existence of the Bible character Jesus? If not, how difficult would it be to make up such stories from other legends?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
It fact it is entirely possible to fake the existence of Jesus. It would explain, using contemporary mythology, why such an influential and charismatic speaker, attracting crowds from all over Judea, Galilee the Decapolis and Phoenecia nevertheless escaped a description in contemporary history (you can forget about the Flavian forgery).

In fact I think there is evidence that a real Jesus existed, but that also indicates that the gospels account is fabricated.
To put the gospel Jesus back on the map - yes, you need proof (that is decent convincing evidence). Faith claims or demands that we swallow the Bible without stopping to chew won't do.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Fine. Then there was no Jesus. So what do you think of the fictional guy's teachings?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:32 PM

20,044 posts, read 13,512,341 times
Quote:
Will you really omit the possibilities that there is a GOD? If there is, you win. If there is not, you also win.
It is not possible to afford belief to something speculatively, just in case. You either have reason to believe it, or you do not. Of course you can FAKE belief, which is basically the premise behind Pascal's Wager, which is what you are parroting here. But it is not even a valid wager, because it incorrectly posits that only one god on offer in a world with countless gods, is the CORRECT one. Every deity's adherents claim their deity is real. What if Odin or Vishnu or Chthulu is the "real" god and you wager on Jehovah?

Even if you wager correctly on Jehovah, will he not know that you're a pretender?

Old 04-03-2015, 01:02 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,686,976 times
There's no good option for me in the poll.

I would pick "I humbly admit that I have no idea if a god exists."

I don't "reject" god. I don't declare that there is no god. I feel that my belief is the most honest one possible, because truly, no one KNOWS, as in, proof positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality