Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:09 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,697,626 times

Advertisements

Thousands of NAMES OF GODS, GODDESSES, DEMIGODS, MONSTERS, SPIRITS, DEMONS * & DEITIES for your dog, horse, cat, pet or child - from Chinaroad Lowchens of Australia

If it is the same god worshiped in different ways, he must have an extreme sexual and mental disorder to hold all these different aspects!!! It is a HUGE list.

Last edited by Nea1; 10-26-2010 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,353,646 times
In parts of India where tattoos are common, Hindus have tattos of their favorite god or goddess. These have also become popular subjects in the secular tattoo places around the world as well. Some of the favorites include: Vishnu, Shiva, Lakshmi, Krishna, Kali, etc.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 PM

30 posts, read 33,241 times
Jews, Christians, Muslims do have the same god... but Hindu has over 200 gods... they are not all of those balled up into one god. hi, i'm pagan and i don't believe the same as you OP. in fact i would have to say i believe your god to be a myth as well. and to "Isaiah 43: 10 "But you are my witness O Israel, says the Lord. And you are my servant. You have been chosen to know Me, believe in Me, and understand that I alone am God. There is no other God, there never has been, and never will be".. to me, that sounds alot like the wizard of Oz "i am all powerful don't look behind the certain, just believe what i say'.... and....why did he also say you will have no other god before me? there is writings in the bible that leads to there being other gods.

"“When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of men, he fixed the bounds of the peoples according to the number of the sons of God."

“…Thou shalt have none other gods before me…”

“…These curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee…The LORD shall bring thee… unto a nation which neither thou nor thy fathers have known; and there shalt thou serve other gods, wood and stone…”

"Beware lest there be among you a man or woman or clan or tribe whose heart is turning away today from the Lord our God to go and serve the gods of those nations. Beware lest there be among you ua root bearing poisonous and bitter fruit."

Old 10-26-2010, 04:49 PM

30 posts, read 33,241 times
oh i forgot these.

Genesis 1:26
And God said, let us make man in our image.

Genesis 3:22
And the Lord God said, Behold, then man is become as one of us, to know good and evil.

Genesis 11:7
Let us go down, and there confound their language.

Zephaniah 2:11
The Lord will be terrible to them: for he will famish all the gods of the earth.

Jeremiah 46:25
I will punish the multitude of No, and Pharaoh, and Egypt, with their gods.

Jeremiah 25:6
And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt.

Jeremiah 1:16
I will utter my judgments against them ... who have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods.

Psalm 136:2
O give thanks unto the God of gods.

salm 97:7
Worship him, all ye gods

well thats enough, i'm bored now.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,937,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
How can anyone believe that the god a Christian believes in is a different god than the god a Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist believes in?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,340,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Believing is a matter of theory, while learning is a matter of being pragmatic.
In a sense it doesn't matter if you believe the theory as long as it works IRL.
A Buddhist would say that the truth is and that what you believe is irrelevant.
Please provide the truth, not what you believe, but the truth.
I don't worship anything.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:13 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,657,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
I mean really! How can anyone believe that the god a Christian believes in is a different god than the god a Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist believes in? There is only ONE reality, one truth, how could it be any other way? We are all wandering around the same universe, so are we all being recruited by different spiritual football teams? I am definitely not saying that any of these religions knows the absolute truth because I don't think they do, but according to a USA Today poll 50% of responders think the Christian god is different from other religions' god. So that in and of itself is suggesting that there is more than one god.

Oh wait, never mind. Its insinuating that only Christians are actually worshiping a god, and everyone else is worshiping a myth. Silly me.

‪Know Your Enemy (Part 1 - Introduction)‬‏ - YouTube

I encourage everyone to watch this documentary series. Than of course cross check all information and be diligent in your research.

All "religions" trace back to Babylon in Genesis 11 with Nimrod at the tower of Babel. This incident wasn't about literally building a really big tower. It had everything to do with a universal religious system denying the one true creator God! It was about mankind's rebellion toward their creator. God confounded their languages, and the people scattered taking elements of this religion with them to scatter along the earth. This is called the "mystery religion" as it has been passed down through symbols, idols, etc. All ideologies tie back to this rebellious religious system.

So we all don't worship the same God. The god of this world/age is Satan, and he has spiritual power given to him (2 Corinthians 4:4 KJV). Jesus didn't deny his ownership when tempted after fasting. So all "religions" do worship the same god - Satan. The Christian God is at war with this entity and so are we whether we know it or not. In short, Satan lies to man and says they can be gods. He wants to drag all of you down with him to the pit of hell. The Christian God (the one of the Bible) states we must go through his Christ to be with him. Jesus has his hand out right now waiting for you to grab it by repentance and remission of sins and trusting in him. This mercy won't last forever, and the Bible paints a horrifying picture of a time where Jesus pulls his hand away and turns to a mode of vengeance. What's prophesied to trigger this is another world-wide rejection of God through a universal religion. Evidence suggests it will reject Messiah Jesus as the only way to God (John 14:6) in a universal religion of "peace" and religious tolerance in the name of "love."

"For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape." 1 Thessalonians 5:3 KJV

You know Jesus himself does not deny man can be gods?

"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?" John 10:34 KJV

It is done through a relationship to the creator through his appointed Christ which was Jesus. It requires dedication to what he says. All the info you need is in a $20 KJV Bible <<if you do the research, you'll find it's the best English translation. Actually you don't even need a Bible. All you need is to know God hates sin, loves righteousness, what the definition of these two concepts are, and trusting in God's appointed Christ Jesus.

It doesn't require a religious "system." This is Satan's strategy to pull people away from the "simplicity in Christ." Satan hates this message and has killed thousands upon thousands of Christians for holding to it even in the name of "God" (it's their god though). If we have a creator, we are in his home. Just as we are in his home, we are expected to follow his rules. He created us so we could be with him, and that's exactly what will eventually happen. Sadly because of our rebellious disrespectful selfish behavior, many will never get to know who our creator is.

Like I said don't take my word for it. Research. The question "why we're here" and "what's our purpose" should be the #1 thing on your mind. It is no mystery, and has all been revealed in the holy scriptures which is our creators message to us.

Next time you look at the stars, think about how much you want to be with the one that made those stars and how much you don't want to be against him.

Last edited by Mikelee81; 07-15-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 11:40 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,452,763 times
Gods are cultural constructs and as such are limited to the cultures that produced them and their descendants.

The idea that everyone is actually worshiping the same god under a different name is a belief that can only come from the hubris of the universalist, Yahweh-based religions which claim there is only one god, thus everyone must be worshiping him without knowing it.

That is a pretty arrogant belief regardless of any good intentions by those that hold it.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:22 PM

64,034 posts, read 40,336,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Gods are cultural constructs and as such are limited to the cultures that produced them and their descendants.

The idea that everyone is actually worshiping the same god under a different name is a belief that can only come from the hubris of the universalist, Yahweh-based religions which claim there is only one god, thus everyone must be worshiping him without knowing it.

That is a pretty arrogant belief regardless of any good intentions by those that hold it.
This is a common (and very frustrating) misconception). There are TWO separate issues here . . . reality and beliefs about reality. Beliefs about reality do NOT determine what reality IS. God is our reality and as far as we can determine . . . there is only ONE reality (one God). Beliefs about God (about reality) are legion and they have nothing to do with how many Gods there are in our reality.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:42 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,227,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowlzer View Post
oh i forgot these.

Genesis 1:26
And God said, let us make man in our image.

Genesis 3:22
And the Lord God said, Behold, then man is become as one of us, to know good and evil.

Genesis 11:7
Let us go down, and there confound their language.

Zephaniah 2:11
The Lord will be terrible to them: for he will famish all the gods of the earth.

And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt.

I will utter my judgments against them ... who have forsaken me, and have burned incense unto other gods.

salm 97:7
Worship him, all ye gods

well thats enough, i'm bored now.
You forgot some:

Exodus 12:12
And against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment.
Exodus 15:11

Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods?
Exodus 18:11

Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods.
Exodus 20:3, 5

Thou shalt have no other gods before me. ... Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them
Exodus 22:20

He that sacrificeth unto any god
, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.
Exodus 22:28

Thou shalt not revile the gods.
Exodus 23:13

Make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth.
Exodus 23:24

Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images.
Exodus 23:32

Thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor with their gods.
Exodus 34:14

For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.
Numbers 33:4

Upon their gods also the LORD executed judgments.
Deuteronomy 3:24

What God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do according to thy works?
Deuteronomy 5:7
Thou shalt have none other gods before me.
Deuteronomy 6:14-15

Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;(For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you)
Deuteronomy 10:17

For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords.
Deuteronomy 28:14

Thou shalt not ... go after other gods to serve them.
Joshua 24:2

They served other gods.
Joshua 24:14

Fear the Lord ... and put away the gods which your fathers served.
Judges 11:24

Wilt not thou possess that which Chemosh thy god giveth thee to possess?
1 Samuel 6:5

Ye shall give glory unto the God of Israel: peradventure he will lighten his hand from off you, and from off your gods.
1 Samuel 28:13

And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
1 Chronicles 16:25

The Lord ... is to be feared above all gods.
Psalm 82:1

God standeth in the congregation of the mighty, he judgeth among the gods
Psalm 82:6

I have said, Ye are gods.
Psalm 86:8

Among the gods
there is none like unto thee, O Lord.
Psalm 96:4

For the Lord ... is to be feared above all gods.
Psalm 97:7

Worship him, all ye gods.
Psalm 135:5

Our Lord is above all gods.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality