Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:49 AM

8,419 posts, read 16,277,912 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by HistoryasIS
Quote:
why would he do it in way it would seem to contradiction himself thousand of times?
God doesn't contradict himself in that culture, he only contradicts himself in the other culture.
To me Judaism, Christianity and the Islam are the same religion, but no Jew, Christian or Muslim will probably agree with me.
Like I've said many times before; if you only pay attention to the content of the message and disregard the messenger the world religions do not contradict each other at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 01:54 AM

611 posts, read 1,273,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
We are all wandering around the same universe, so are we all being recruited by different spiritual football teams?
i love this. i once had a similar thought. but with agnostics being free agents and atheists having career ending injuries.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:40 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,493,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
i love this. i once had a similar thought. but with agnostics being free agents and atheists having career ending injuries.
LOL! That was good allah truth! However, I'd prefer to look at it as a career ending amputation

My personal thought on the matter is that although there are many religions that seemingly all strive to the same ultimate goal of 'reaching God' the personification of a particular form of God is the thing that seems to throw people askew.

I've been asked before "Do you believe in God?" That's an interesting question in reality. What does the person mean by that? What I get from it is "Do you believe in MY God?" Remember, now, that to a typical Christian/Jew/Muslim/Hindu "MY" God (if I believed in one) would not be the correct God if it were different. The problem seems to lie, once again, in the personification of God. The personification is reflected in Bible's, Koran's, Torah's, etc...

What I'm getting at here is that with all of these different 'personifications' of God, it amazes me at how many people feel they have the one right answer. The question, to me, then becomes one such as: "If there is indeed a God, and the problem tends to lie in the personification of God, than why does God need acknowledgement or worship at all?!" This begs the question that I've asked a million times: "What if, as a believer in a particular religion (or personification) you're wrong?" Are you not in the same boat as me? After all, your failure as a Christian to acknowledge, let's say, Zeus as a true God probably doesn't do you anything if you die and Zeus is standing there atop Mt. Olympus. You and I, if such a thing were true, will both be looking at each other going "DOH! IT WAS FREAKING ZEUS?!?!?!" That is, of course, right before we are sent to Hades to live in some eternal hellpit.

So, really, most religious people tend to believe in God. Let's clarify that a bit. Most believers tend to all look up at the sky and say "Someone or something is up there watching." I think from the days of Zeus and Baal to the Christian and Muslim Gods in our present era, man has done that, they've just changed the personas a little bit. So, really, does that 'thing' up in the sky even warrant acknowledgement to begin with? I think not. I'd hate to make him mad and personify him as something he's not!

Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms.- Robert Ingersoll

Old 01-14-2008, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by GCSTroop
Quote:
I've been asked before "Do you believe in God?" That's an interesting question in reality. What does the person mean by that? What I get from it is "Do you believe in MY God?"
I get the same with art or whenever my friends ask me what they think about their wives/husbands. Does it matter why I like a painting or do, or do not, consider it art or why I would never marry that person or be friends with them?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:58 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,493,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by GCSTroop I get the same with art or whenever my friends ask me what they think about their wives/husbands. Does it matter why I like a painting or do, or do not, consider it art or why I would never marry that person or be friends with them?
No, it doesn't matter. The whole point is that the truth to you is different than the truth to me. However, religion has this funny little knack of saying "The TRUTH is within this book and those who do not adhere to it are FALSE and this is the word of something greater than man!" Whereas you and I may look at a piece of art and have differing opinions, no one is setting the line or boundary as to what is good art or bad art. Religion tends to try and draw that divide by invoking a spirit of sorts. The problem with that is that there are a whole bunch of conflicting spirits. I really liked the quote at the bottom of my last post because that's what I was trying to reflect on, but I have some more that kind of drive the point home further. I'm in a 'quoting' mood today

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.” - Henry Louis Mencken

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”- Georgia Harkness

Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
However, religion has this funny little knack of saying "The TRUTH is within this book and those who do not adhere to it are FALSE and this is the word of something greater than man!"
I assume that you don't know many (atheist or theist) artists who believe that their (expression of) art is THE only right expression of art?
They are just as zealous as any religious fanatic, especially when they believe that (their interpretation of) beauty = truth.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:38 AM

364 posts, read 767,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasISGod doesn't contradict himself in that culture, he only contradicts himself in the other culture.
To me Judaism, Christianity and the Islam are the same religion, but no Jew, Christian or Muslim will probably agree with me.
Like I've said many times before; if you only pay attention to the content of the message and disregard the messenger the world religions do not contradict each other at all.

but why would God have to contradiction hisself in each culture?

Could he not created us to understand all the same?

contradict himself in that culture, he only contradicts himself in the other culture.

ok then buy why does he then say in The bible I'm the only God no other also me and why does jesus tell us to preach the gospel of him to ALL nations for salvation is only by him?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
ok then buy why does he then say in The bible I'm the only God no other also me and why does jesus tell us to preach the gospel of him to ALL nations for salvation is only by him?
Could it be that God did not truly said that, but that the Jewish, Christian and Muslim culture wanted to interpret it that way?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:55 AM

364 posts, read 767,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS Could it be that God did not truly said that, but that the Jewish, Christian and Muslim culture wanted to interpret it that way?

how can you make ab interpret when jesus said himself with these words go ye out into the world and preach the gospel to every nation.

To me that verse interpret it self it does not neeed christians saying oh it means we are to go out into the world and preach the gospel.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
how can you make ab interpret when jesus said himself with these words go ye out into the world and preach the gospel to every nation.
The gospel as in the truth, fact is that the truth isn't always the law.
Laws may differ in each culture, but the truth simply is.
People keep forgetting that the Bible is not an eyewitness report, but stories about what other people have heard.
Jesus was talking to a live audience so he reacts to the public there; he is not talking to the readers of the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality