Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 02:05 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,028,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Let me be clear, it wasn't a church, it was the very nature of the religion. Biblical literalism, original sin, all of it. At this point in my life, your yoke is no lighter than any other.

While I appreciate that you have a theology that doesn't demand that you call me a liar, even your doctrine is a weight and a burden that I will not subject myself to. I am free, why would I enter bondage again?

-NoCapo
It is possible you really might not understand what I believe? For me it is liberating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 02:13 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,450,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
It is possible you really might not understand what I believe? For me it is liberating.
You know, Eusebius .. I was a bible literalist/inerrantist Christian Universalist. I'm pretty sure I believed very closely to what you do in many regards. While believing in Universalism was absolutely liberating in contrast to believing in eternal torment, I was quite surprised that it was exponentially more liberating when I was loose from bible literalism and all that came with it.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:17 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,800,588 times
Quote:
No, I am pretty clear.

Aside from the lack of evidence, your theology doesn't offer much to someone who is not in need of saving. I have realized I am not a worm, a wretch, a sinner. I don't need to be saved or redeemed, and even if there was any evidence for it, I am not really interested in eternal life. I think it cheapens what we have.

I would rather live as a human being, living the life that I have, in the way that gives me fulfillment and joy. I find these things in entirely human pursuits and relationships, and prefer my immortality to be found in the memories and lives of those I love. I find it as liberating and beautiful as you find the grace and mercy of your god.

-NoCapo

Old 03-21-2014, 02:31 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,713,123 times
Quote:
It means that no matter what, such a one who is sealed will be in that future day of deliverance.

All these atheists and agnostics who say they got saved and then quit church, quit faith, stopped believing in God, they will still be in that future day of deliverance. It just depends upon if they truly believed at one point that Christ truly did die for our sins, was entombed and that God roused Him the third day. If they believed that at one point in their life, they are sealed for the day of deliverance.

We didn't earn our salvation and there is nothing we can do to lose it. Sure, one can lose their salvation from being kept from harmful things in this life. They can make shipwreck of the faith. But that does not disenfranchise them from their future salvific event.
Good news, if we happen to be wrong by some sliver of a chance. But, I do hope that I get a choice whether to spend eternity in his presence or whether I can live a happy existence away from such a maniacal being.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,234,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Good news, if we happen to be wrong by some sliver of a chance. But, I do hope that I get a choice whether to spend eternity in his presence or whether I can live a happy existence away from such a maniacal being.

The Uni heaven or hell is still unappealing and very little different to mainstream beliefs. Either way you are screwed as if there was a bible god, I certainly have no desire to spend eternity sucking up to it in a 24/∞ church service.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post

The Uni heaven or hell is still unappealing and very little different to mainstream beliefs. Either way you are screwed as if there was a bible god, I certainly have no desire to spend eternity sucking up to it in a 24/∞ church service.
And what is the Uni hell?

How are my beliefs very little different from mainstream beliefs?

How do you know there will be a 24/∞ church service?

Last edited by Eusebius; 03-21-2014 at 05:51 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Well, the evangel is called good news. It seems to me that the so-called "good news" of many churches is really bad new. They have a hypocritical "gospel" in which they say "Christ died for your sins" but turn right around and will tell you "God is going to make you pay for your sins."

They teach that God is trying to get as many as He can into heaven. Satan is trying to get as many as he can into "hell." Satan, according to them, gets his billions but God gets a few. Therefore, according to them, Satan is much wiser and more powerful than God and "hell" will forever reveal God as a failure.

They vest man with "free will" and say man deserves to go to their made up "hell" and the opposite of this is that, of course, they, those who were powerful enough to use their free will deserve heaven. God owes it to them, according to them. Jesus' death only goes so far; it only makes salvation a possibility.

Dear Amaznjohn, you can be wrong by a huge huge margin and still be saved because Christ truly did die for all our sins and ransomed us all. That is why "God will have all mankind to be saved" (1 Tim.2:4-6).

Some people think He is a maniacal being due to the popularly held beliefs of churches. You won't have to worry about being around such a being as the god of Christendumb.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
No, I am pretty clear.

Aside from the lack of evidence, your theology doesn't offer much to someone who is not in need of saving.
-NoCapo
Why do you say that? Exactly what does my theology offer to someone who is not in need of saving?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You know, Eusebius .. I was a bible literalist/inerrantist Christian Universalist. I'm pretty sure I believed very closely to what you do in many regards. While believing in Universalism was absolutely liberating in contrast to believing in eternal torment, I was quite surprised that it was exponentially more liberating when I was loose from bible literalism and all that came with it.
I don't believe EVERYTHING in the Bible is to be taken literally.

The parable of the Rich man and Lazarus is not to be taken literally.

I don't think the parable of the prodigal son is to be taken literally that he died and went to a pig farm.

Christ won't really come back as a lamb.

A sword won't literally issue out of His mouth.

People of Israel won't literally go into a literal furnace of fire.

Are you now an atheist?

Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,426,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
They were never Christian. The word says clearly if they left us, they were never of us. But they try to argue their case. Yeah right! A Christian is someone that has accepted the blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ for their sins because they chose to go to Heaven! Not someone who attends church functions and had bible meetings for half of their life. That means absolutely NOTHING if they never accepted the blood of Christ!
Blood sacrifice? You don't see the primitive barbarism in that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality