Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Interesting list.

So it's all about what YOU get out of it? You get to whip Darth Vader. Well, I suppose you have your priorities.
Look bud, AREQUIPA asked what one gets out of it if there is no hell. Get over it.

Quote:
(If you get to Heaven while everyone else is still here please ask God to take care of that hunger thing in Africa. Thanks.)
No, you ask Him. I'll be too busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You really don't make a very good case with these supposed "good reasons".
Actually I do.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
We all know you are not smart, I'll give you a pass on the good looks.

Perhaps you have been sickly, I have been pretty healthy all my life, only the BP nagging now in my old age and the damn eyes not that hot. Got fixes for both of these so I can cope with the body deteriorating.

This begs the question for intelligent design. My eyes at 56 are not so hot, your Noah at 900 would have been blind.
  • (not interested)
  • (not interested)(not needed)(Not interested)(Not interested)What are you going to do?)(sounds boring)(I am ok with lurv as is)(imaginary enemies - OK)(yeah, does not sound compelling)
I'd stay away from any church - period.

Your bullet list may be what fires your motor, you assume we all want what you want. This is called projection.

You can go help Fred Phelps make new signs of what god hates.
I don't care what you want. AREQUIPA asked me a question and I answered him. I wasn't addressing the post to everyone and asking for their ideas on it. So I could care less what you think about it.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:10 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I don't care what you want. AREQUIPA asked me a question and I answered him. I wasn't addressing the post to everyone and asking for their ideas on it. So I could care less what you think about it.
Then you should do it in DM. You post it, people can comment on it, that is the way a message board works.

But back the original topic, did you gain an understanding about the experiences of us ex-Christians? Did it make sense, or is there something else we can clarify for you?

-NoCapo

Old 03-24-2014, 12:17 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,732 times
Quote:
So if a doctor approached you with a vaccine and guaranteed it would make you almost as handsome as me, give you immortality, never be sick again, make you almost as smart as me, you would still contemplate that with horror? I am at a loss for words.

Do you mean that you think the only good reason for being a Christian is to escape a "hell"? And if there is no "hell" why even be a Christian?

• Life! Age-during life for the next two ages
  • Immortality (not an incentive)
  • Incorruption (?????)
  • Being filled with all the fruit of the spirit (?????)
  • Being a son of God and a brother of Jesus (YAY????)
  • Reigning with Christ among the celestials (????)
  • Being seated with Christ among the celestials (?????)
  • Finally walking in perfect love (?????)
  • Being able to whip any Klingon or Darth Vader any time any day (some accomplishment, neither Darth Vader or the Klingons are real)
  • Many other blessings (?????)
I'd stay far away from any church that threatens anyone with hell. It is child abuse and mental abuse.
You sound like one of those street preachers that pop up on campus from time to time because they use almost the exact same bullet points. I've gotten pretty good at ignoring their ramblings.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:23 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
Then maybe you should retire gracefully from this thread as it really appears you are not coping.

In light of this poor response, I think it is clear, the only folk that would find the UR version attractive are theists who have issues with a literal hell. Like the evangelical fundies, they too make it up as they go along. The inconsistency is hard to let go of.

Kinda proves that you can cherry pick the same bible to get different doctrines to stick with willing folk.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Look bud, AREQUIPA asked what one gets out of it if there is no hell. Get over it.

No, you ask Him. I'll be too busy.
#1) I ain't your bud.

#2) I will be asking Him to provide for the needy LONG before I wander over to the room marked "Heavenly Video Games".

Old 03-24-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
#1) I ain't your bud.

#2) I will be asking Him to provide for the needy LONG before I wander over to the room marked "Heavenly Video Games".
Whatever.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
Then maybe you should retire gracefully from this thread as it really appears you are not coping.

In light of this poor response, I think it is clear, the only folk that would find the UR version attractive are theists who have issues with a literal hell. Like the evangelical fundies, they too make it up as they go along. The inconsistency is hard to let go of.

Kinda proves that you can cherry pick the same bible to get different doctrines to stick with willing folk.
Who cares what you think. It's my thread and you are clogging it up with your nonsense. Grow up.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
But DewDropInn, he doesn't have to worry about the physical needs of people, because everybody will be ok in the end. So what's a little starvation, abandonment, AIDS, abuse, or injustice? Everybody will be fine in a couple of aeons.

It seems that ET is not the only doctrine that breeds callousness...

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality