Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:19 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Right, well I actually went to a Catholic Church once. They didn't ask questions if you were an adult.
correct.

"The guidelines for receiving Communion, which are issued by the U.S. bishops and published in many missalettes, explain, "We welcome our fellow Christians to this celebration of the Eucharist as our brothers and sisters. We pray that our common baptism and the action of the Holy Spirit in this Eucharist will draw us closer to one another and begin to dispel the sad divisions which separate us. We pray that these will lessen and finally disappear, in keeping with Christ’s prayer for us ‘that they may all be one" (John 17:21).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 01:22 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,339 times
O.P....Sorry for the pages of thread jack, honestly.

If they rather you not participate then dont. Its all good, and nothing to get bent out of shape about.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:52 AM

334 posts, read 486,810 times
you can always change and I am sure your friend would take you back.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:55 AM

not sure catholic have the right approach. can you talk with your friend about this?

Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 AM

593 posts, read 889,841 times
Not enough information . As a Catholic you are certainly a christian but not for all the links to pagan ceremony ,mediators unauthorized,distracting links and prayer to dead men and scraments manufactured by man not God ,,,,none of those . Your christian because of your belief in Jesus Christ and that he died for your sins not all the ancient grabage the Catholic church has somehow manifested as truth over the centuries. So elaborate or did I answer why the bad lady christians choose not to associate with you . They seem to be over the edge somewhat. Suggeston: Escape From Religion it's as crazy as it gets. (not the clergy or the people the religion.)

Das

Old 08-14-2011, 02:44 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
Not enough information . As a Catholic you are certainly a christian but not for all the links to pagan ceremony ,mediators unauthorized,distracting links and prayer to dead men and scraments manufactured by man not God ,,,,none of those . Your christian because of your belief in Jesus Christ and that he died for your sins not all the ancient grabage the Catholic church has somehow manifested as truth over the centuries. So elaborate or did I answer why the bad lady christians choose not to associate with you . They seem to be over the edge somewhat. Suggeston: Escape From Religion it's as crazy as it gets. (not the clergy or the people the religion.)

Das
Well, Catholic Christians belief that all that really matters is being a Christian. Whether or not to follow "pagan ceremonies" and other cultural things don't matter. Roman Catholics, however, are supposed to believe in the infalability of the Pope in the Vatican, and his always correct representation of Jesus Christ.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
correct.

"The guidelines for receiving Communion, which are issued by the U.S. bishops and published in many missalettes, explain, "We welcome our fellow Christians to this celebration of the Eucharist as our brothers and sisters. We pray that our common baptism and the action of the Holy Spirit in this Eucharist will draw us closer to one another and begin to dispel the sad divisions which separate us. We pray that these will lessen and finally disappear, in keeping with Christ’s prayer for us ‘that they may all be one" (John 17:21).
I don't know, I've always understood Catholicism, my faith, as "closed communion." Sure they won't ask you if you're Catholic or in a state of grace, but I think that's because it's an "honor system" thing.

If we're "open communion" now I find that going against tradition and hard to justify. I'd need the document that said this and even then it would just be the US bishops. US bishops say all kinds of non-binding unofficial things.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:07 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't know, I've always understood Catholicism, my faith, as "closed communion." Sure they won't ask you if you're Catholic or in a state of grace, but I think that's because it's an "honor system" thing.

If we're "open communion" now I find that going against tradition and hard to justify. I'd need the document that said this and even then it would just be the US bishops. US bishops say all kinds of non-binding unofficial things.
I don't think he said "open communion". Clearly if you are going up to the Catholic Eucharist with Protestant beliefs then you are a hypocrite. If they allow people to openly "protest" Catholicism within their own Churches, then they are fools. Like I said, my experience was that any adult is allowed to partake in Eucharist within Catholic Churches, however, during the (in my honest opinion) wasteful ceremony, lay-people are supposed to remain silent.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 AM

In all seriousness, Jesus would not have kicked you out. Tell your friends that. But try to take into consideration why they think you might be wrong in what you believe.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 AM

992 posts, read 2,372,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hose111 View Post
In all seriousness, Jesus would not have kicked you out. Tell your friends that. But try to take into consideration why they think you might be wrong in what you believe.
They think I'm wrong because they think:
I worship the pope
I worship idols
I pray to Mary
I perform "rituals" to get myself into heaven
Catholics don't follow Christ
Confession doesn't make me forgiven

Trying to explain away my viewpoint with them is futile; I don't want to be a part of a group that is judgemental and narrow minded. It DID hurt me feelings, though. I'll admit it; I felt like it was a kick in the teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality