Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,748,100 times

Advertisements

I havent been on here that long but I feel confident enough to share a situation that really bothered me and ANY input postive OR negative would be great..here was my situation...

I was asked to speak at a mens group meeting, not a "church" thing really because all men regardless of denom or beliefs are invited, although it is a Christian meeting, were guys get together in the woods, in a barn, or backyard, grill, have prayer and talk about men and how they (we) relate to each other, God, family etc.

Well I like to look at things in the Bible from a different perspective from time to time, so I chose Jonah, not for the whole second chance theme in the story but rather, do we do things because we "have" too because God said too, or do we do it out of love. I talked about how Jonah didnt really EVER like or feel any love toward the people of ninevah but simply just went thru the motions..

I dont think anybody there "got" what I was trying to say, maybe our pastor, but one of the guys (deacons) in our post talk discussion said, "this is clearly only about second chances," I felt like I spoke what God wanted me too.

Did I completly "miss" on what I was trying to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 09:30 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I havent been on here that long but I feel confident enough to share a situation that really bothered me and ANY input postive OR negative would be great..here was my situation...

I was asked to speak at a mens group meeting, not a "church" thing really because all men regardless of denom or beliefs are invited, although it is a Christian meeting, were guys get together in the woods, in a barn, or backyard, grill, have prayer and talk about men and how they (we) relate to each other, God, family etc.

Well I like to look at things in the Bible from a different perspective from time to time, so I chose Jonah, not for the whole second chance theme in the story but rather, do we do things because we "have" too because God said too, or do we do it out of love. I talked about how Jonah didnt really EVER like or feel any love toward the people of ninevah but simply just went thru the motions..

I dont think anybody there "got" what I was trying to say, maybe our pastor, but one of the guys (deacons) in our post talk discussion said, "this is clearly only about second chances," I felt like I spoke what God wanted me too.

That's great that you got a chance to speak arguy. As someone who speaks in front of people regularly (me) sometimes you hit a "worm-burner", and sometimes you're straight down the fairway. The fear of speaking in front of others is rated by most people as a worse fear than death, so don't beat yourself up too much. I can't comment much on the Jonah story without being at the event, but I always try to remember several important things:

1) Know your audience. If you are speaking as part of a "larger effort", understand thoroughly the central themes of the event. It's even better if you can get a heads up on what other people are speaking about and tie your message in slightly with theirs.

2) Keep it light, even if it is a heavy topic. You're a funny guy arguy, make sure to insert humor strategically (at the right time in the right context).

3) Tell a story of something that happened to you personally to tie together your theme about Jonah just going through the motions(in this case). You might even rewrite the presentation you gave and just do it for your wife and kids.

If you did all those things, then it probably wasn't nearly as bad as you think it went. Your always your own toughest judge.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,202,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post

Arguy, I totally think that if you truly feel in your spirit this is what God lead you to say, then someone got what you were saying. You may not ever find out (on this side of eternity) but I strongly think that someone needed to hear what you said, and you obeyed God and said it.

For that, buddy, I commend you. You already know--obey that still, small voice. Seek God with a pure heart. He rewards those that do. Since you did, He spoke to you and gave this message for you to share. That's an awesome thing--God is looking for willing servants.

Take comfort in the fact that you probably ministered to someone that day, or at the very least, planted a seed. Pray for this deacon, and love him anyway.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,790,677 times
Arguy,

I completely understand what you are saying about Jonah. And I think that we do many (at least I do) things only because God said we had to and certainly not because we want to or "love" the person or situation that we are responding to. I know that there have been many times when I would have rather hit someone because of the way they acted, but instead smiled and told them to have a nice day. (maybe not a good example, but the nicest thing that I could come up with.)

As far as the other guy just not getting your point...I wouldn't take it to heart. I think that we all hear God's word in different ways. I was taught that is why Catholics don't bring their Bibles to mass. Be are supposed to HEAR God's word as it is proclaimed, because as we open up our hearts and listen, God may speak to each of us differently.

From what I can tell, you are a wonderful man of God who spends a lot of time in His service. Don't take offense to someone else's words. Keep serving the Lord.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,912,492 times
Arguy, there is more then one lesson in Jonah. My husband was going to seminary and one entire class was on Jonah. You are right, it also is a story about pride and self righteousness and about loving others and letting God do the judging.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:42 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,748,100 times
thank you all for the input, I appreciate it! The deacon I referred to was my wifes singing partner at church, so I didnt take it personally at me, but more at my thoughts..

Magellan, thanks for the suggestions on speaking!

My friend/pastor gave me these words...speaking is like a mini-skirt--keep it long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,757,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Arguy, there is more then one lesson in Jonah. My husband was going to seminary and one entire class was on Jonah. You are right, it also is a story about pride and self righteousness and about loving others and letting God do the judging.

I agree with Jazzed. The back story of how angry Jonah was, even to the very end, is often missed.

I'm not sure why this particular gentleman was put off by what you said, but I wouldn't dwell on it. Perhaps he didn't feel confident in his knowledge of Jonah and felt a little insecure. We're all guilty of that sometimes. My husband is in a men's group which he loves, but says the ego that some people have regarding Bible knowledge can be annoying.

Hey we get you, what else matters? Oh yeah, He gets you, too.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:48 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,819,374 times
I think you tried your best to convey what your lesson was. Possible you could have been clearer or possibly you were as clear as you could be and the people you were speaking to were just not that intelligent. Either way I would just shake it off and next time you are asked choose a topic that is for the simple minded so they can't miss your point.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:55 AM

564 posts, read 1,901,693 times
It's all good, arguy1973. If you felt compelled to speak what you did, I'm sure it had an impact on whomever God thought needed to hear it. magellan had some great input for "next time". Either way, though, more power to you that speaks the word.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 AM

284 posts, read 1,682,059 times
Each audience or congregation is filled with people at different points in their lives (i.e. -- in age, spiritual growth, emotional growth and intellectual growth). Add to that the fact that people have such varied personalities.

With this in mind, I thought of two possibilities. 1) One thing I have noticed in our church is that some people will freely share with the preacher and others how they felt about the lesson. Others will simply internalize the information, go home and digest it and may never share their thoughts or feelings about the lesson with anyone.

2) Just like looking at a work of art, each person will take away different ideas, feelings and messages based on where he is in his life's journey. God knows where each person is on that journey, so if you felt called to speak about Jonah, you have to trust that God knows how your message reached and touched your audience, even if you don't.

I do, though, think that it is a good habit for all speakers and teachers to reflect on what they have said to an audience, so they can seek ways to improve and grow. So I applaud your efforts to examine your lesson and your efforts to share God's Word!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality